ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Apple overhauling its 30 pin connector (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365)

Fish 08-14-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8818143)
You ready for a tech beat down? :D I'll give you a chance to back off this line of thinking before I put the hammer down....

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3...glasses463.jpg

Hammer deflected. +15 :D

007 08-15-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8818661)
You don't get reception through Sprint at home, but that's your carrier? When phones can't establish a consistent connection with their network, they tend to freak the **** out and overwork themselves searching for a network non stop. Have you tested it somewhere where you have good provider coverage? Is that the only carrier available?

If you have an Exchange account set up, it will try Push notification. If you don't have a consistent connection to your provider, that would probably be bad. You could test some things with turning off Data, or Push notification for e-mail, etc. But I'd bet it's the fact that your provider is spotty where you spend the most time out of the day.

Also, do you overcharge the battery? Leaving it plugged in overnight, past the point that the battery is 100%? That can be really bad for the battery as well to leave it plugged in past full charge.

I was under the impression that todays batteries were designed in a way that you couldn't overcharge them.

Bob Dole 08-15-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8816355)
Are you seriously trying to criticize them for updating 10 year old technology? LOL... yeah. That's never happened before. Only Apple....

Bob Dole is still pissed that there is no way to connect his iPod Nano to the parallel port on his Compaq 486DX.

Silock 08-15-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8818599)
The big deal is that it is proprietary bullshit. Which DOES make it a money grab and a blatant attempt to lock people into a format that only works with their licensed products. YAY! Let's all by bullshit Sony products so we can use their shitty memory sticks instead of what everyone else uses.

micro USB 3 (as a connector) can do everything you need to get done...

Even if it is proprietary, why does it matter? My PC doesn't have a floppy drive any longer... Should I be pissed about that? Point is that things change. Even standards die out. How is this really any different, except that it's made by Apple?

Silock 08-15-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8818635)
I allowed the phone to completely die for the first month before charging. Now, I don't charge until it reaches 20% battery life. It's used mainly for email through the Exchange server, some Safari and Facebook and of course, the phone itself.

I don't get reception through Sprint in my home, so it's rarely on here because it's worthless. I always connect to a wireless connection when available, although Wireless Detection is turned off.

My wife has the same exact issue with her phone, as do most people I know that have the iPhone 4s. Any insight or advice would be welcome.

You don't have to wait so long to charge it. Mine charges nearly all the time when I'm at home or in the car. You can't overcharge the battery, so I wouldn't worry about that. It trickle charges once the levels hit 100%.

Also, the more you use any battery, the less life it will have, so any time you can charge it will prolong the life of it.

AustinChief 08-15-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8818684)
The number of Apple appliances exceeds the number of components that are adopting STANDARDS. They don't really need compliance. It doesn't serve them any profitable advantage. That's an emotionless asshole corporate Apple response, but it's the truth. And they have the user base saturation to be able to demand a connector change and get away with it. And of course, there will be an adapter available to use existing 30 pin connectors with the new 19 pin connectors.

Are you ****ing insane? The number of components adopting standards outweighs Apple by a ****ing immense margin. How many phones use micro USB versus apple's shitty connector? If you're talking about gadgets that connect to an iPod, then you're right... but who the **** cares. iPods are dying off as people use their phones as mp3 players.

I've shown conclusively that there is no legitimate reason other then typical Apple bullshit involved yet you continue to defend them... you are a true believer!

Keep living in the past while Apple settles into its comfortable sub 20% share.

Btw iPads are now well under 50% (if you include all tablets...ie white box)

AustinChief 08-15-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8819184)
Even if it is proprietary, why does it matter? My PC doesn't have a floppy drive any longer... Should I be pissed about that? Point is that things change. Even standards die out. How is this really any different, except that it's made by Apple?

I included Sony in my rant. proprietary crap is bad for the consumer. period. floppy drives became obsolete... micro usb is far from being analogous to any outdated tech. If Apple gave a shit about the consumer it would work with the industry instead of against it. Look at IBM, Intel and even Microsoft in recent years.

the Talking Can 08-15-2012 12:30 PM

throw some gas on this fire

flash done with android devices, or vice versa...

Quote:

Adobe is pulling its Flash Player plug-in from Android's Google Play store.

It follows a decision to halt development of the software for mobile devices.

Although Adobe is no longer actively developing the player for Android, Blackberry or Symbian devices - and never released it for Apple iOS or Windows Phone handsets - it has said it would continue to offer security updates and bug fixes for existing versions until September 2013.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19267140

Fish 08-15-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8819667)

Ohh Emm Gee y'all! How awful! Evil Android taking away half the internet. The nerve of those guys...

Pitt Gorilla 08-15-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8819667)

Didn't we have an entire thread dedicated to Mac products not carrying flash?

Fish 08-15-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8819551)
Are you ****ing insane? The number of components adopting standards outweighs Apple by a ****ing immense margin. How many phones use micro USB versus apple's shitty connector? If you're talking about gadgets that connect to an iPod, then you're right... but who the **** cares. iPods are dying off as people use their phones as mp3 players.

I've shown conclusively that there is no legitimate reason other then typical Apple bullshit involved yet you continue to defend them... you are a true believer!

Keep living in the past while Apple settles into its comfortable sub 20% share.

Btw iPads are now well under 50% (if you include all tablets...ie white box)

The bolded is not true bud. You're just trying to be difficult.

And regarding the iPad market share, it's still a very long way from 15%. It will be more than a little ironic that the Android tablet you buy me when I win our bet won't have a new version of Flash available.

Silock 08-15-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8819577)
Look at IBM, Intel and even Microsoft in recent years.

None of them became the biggest company in the world /shrug

I'm just saying that I own PCs for my computing needs, and some Apple mobile devices. None of the proprietary connectors have ever negatively affected my life or the way I use my Apple products with my PC.

I guess I just don't get it.

WoodDraw 08-15-2012 12:50 PM

I'm all for standards, but Apple doesn't want to standardize. It benefits by keeping it's iPod/iPhone/iPad products distinct. It won't do anything to hurt it's brand.

If the argument is that Apple should have kept it's old connector vs. the new one, that's nonsense. It's not unreasonable to expect companies to update their technology once a decade.

If the argument is that Apple should have adopted USB, I can buy that. But won't happen.

Also, yes - **** Sony. 100x.

the Talking Can 08-15-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8819710)
Didn't we have an entire thread dedicated to Mac products not carrying flash?

yeah, too lazy to find it....but seem to like to argue about it

BigMeatballDave 08-15-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8818661)

Also, do you overcharge the battery? Leaving it plugged in overnight, past the point that the battery is 100%? That can be really bad for the battery as well to leave it plugged in past full charge.

This is not true for any Android phone I've had.