ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto New Home A/C Rec (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284148)

Skyy God 06-05-2014 02:09 PM

New Home A/C Rec

So, this week my old ass, freon A/C stopped lowering the temp at all. Even before this week, humidity had been running in the 70-75% range. I refilled the coolant late last summer (after cutting the line), so I doubt it's a refrigerant issue. And my utility is offering a $400 energy efficiency credit.

So, any recs on a new A/C brand? Per Consumer Reports, American Std, Rheem, and Trane are the most reliable. House is 1625 sq. ft., so I think 2.5 tons is the right size.

FlaChief58 06-05-2014 02:17 PM

I had a goodman for 10 years in my old house. Although it gets some criticism I never had any problems with it

Skyy God 06-05-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 10672782)
I had a goodman for 10 years in my old house. Although it gets some criticism I never had any problems with it

From what I've read, they're either loved or hated and need a quality installer.

Chief Roundup 06-05-2014 02:29 PM

The only brand I would tell you to stay away from is Goodman. Their units are a lot more noisy all the way around. They put the cheapest parts they can purchase with no loyalty to an manufacturer of products to assemble an piece of HVAC equipment. You never get a compressor that is piped the same so if there is any problems it will cost more to have it worked on because it won't just swap out.
Those units are all good. There is no real difference between a Rheem and or a Ruud. I have installed and serviced both for years. I would also through Carrier and or Bryant in there they are good units with long history of quality products.
As far as sizing the equipment you will be purchasing.
At this point it has nothing to do with the size of your home, it is about the size of the existing duct work in your home. You can only move so much air through a piece of duct with out causing other issues.
If you look on the outdoor unit there should be a label that tells the specifications of the unit. There will be a model and a serial number on there. The model number will normally have the size of the unit as a part of the model number. Also generally it will be in the last 5 digits. Example: 38ETG030300 The 30 designates that this is a 2.5 ton outdoor condensing unit. A 3 ton would have had a 36 in there.
Now if you don't have any complaints about the unit you can go back and should go back with the same size. If you do have complaints you can possibly go 1/2 ton bigger if the duct will allow it or if you can add a register in a room easily off the plenum box or early in the main duct.

Stewie 06-05-2014 02:33 PM

Find a good installer. That makes all the difference in the world.

Skyy God 06-06-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10672808)
The only brand I would tell you to stay away from is Goodman. Their units are a lot more noisy all the way around. They put the cheapest parts they can purchase with no loyalty to an manufacturer of products to assemble an piece of HVAC equipment. You never get a compressor that is piped the same so if there is any problems it will cost more to have it worked on because it won't just swap out.
Those units are all good. There is no real difference between a Rheem and or a Ruud. I have installed and serviced both for years. I would also through Carrier and or Bryant in there they are good units with long history of quality products.
As far as sizing the equipment you will be purchasing.
At this point it has nothing to do with the size of your home, it is about the size of the existing duct work in your home. You can only move so much air through a piece of duct with out causing other issues.
If you look on the outdoor unit there should be a label that tells the specifications of the unit. There will be a model and a serial number on there. The model number will normally have the size of the unit as a part of the model number. Also generally it will be in the last 5 digits. Example: 38ETG030300 The 30 designates that this is a 2.5 ton outdoor condensing unit. A 3 ton would have had a 36 in there.
Now if you don't have any complaints about the unit you can go back and should go back with the same size. If you do have complaints you can possibly go 1/2 ton bigger if the duct will allow it or if you can add a register in a room easily off the plenum box or early in the main duct.

Thanks! Any installer in Springfield you'd recommend?

Oxford 06-06-2014 10:47 AM

Had AirServices (on E Grand) change out our 4 ton Rheem a couple of years ago for a York Heat Pump with natural gas backup. The new unit died within 3 days, but from service phone call to cool air again took 4 hours. Haven't had a problem since. Had them look at our air returns as we had cold/hot sports in the house, they added one and increased the others..... much more consistant temp now

Chief Roundup 06-06-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10674551)
Thanks! Any installer in Springfield you'd recommend?

Sorry, I have not worked with any install companies up there.

Predarat 06-06-2014 11:46 AM

For the best A/C advice, call 210-444-5140. They will know.

Skyy God 06-18-2014 01:48 PM

Ended up going with a 14.5 SEER Rheem. Installer is at the house now and is having a bitch of a time putting in the evaporator coil. Drain pipe is above the coil.

Chief Roundup 06-18-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10700777)
Ended up going with a 14.5 SEER Rheem. Installer is at the house now and is having a bitch of a time putting in the evaporator coil. Drain pipe is above the coil.

Not sure if you mean the pipe to get the water outside of your home is higher or the drain on the coil is higher......He should be able to reposition the drain pan if that was the case. If for some reason your drain pipe to go out side is higher than the drain on the coil he may have to use a Little Giant pump available at any supply house or Lowes, etc. they are not real expensive. Something they should have picked up on when they came to bid the job.

Chief Roundup 06-18-2014 02:00 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZYAZJpqA31M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just an example of what they look like and such.

Stewie 06-18-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10700777)

That makes absolutely no sense.

Skyy God 06-18-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 10701146)
That makes absolutely no sense.

I hear antifreeze improves reading comprehension.

SAUTO 06-18-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10700850)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZYAZJpqA31M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just an example of what they look like and such.

Mine has one of these. Exactly