ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Colorado Springs, CO - Anyone Ever Been? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196670)

Dayze 11-13-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoDonger (Post 5217043)
I always thought sublimation was a hoax until we moved out here.

Oh, BTW Daze, try to get a south-facing driveway.

:thumb:

thanks.

Unless your comment is sarcastic like "be sure to get a left handed socket-wrench".
:D

KCJohnny 11-13-2008 08:11 PM

I was assigned to Ft. Carson 1993-1996. Co Springs is drop dead gorgeous. The only draw back is that it is 6000 feet above sea level (not much oxygen if you are into running/sports) and that they blather about the donks in the local media. Fair to middling Chiefs broadcasts, though - could be about 5 games or more a year. Co Springs is clean, modern, safe, fairly conservative, patriotic and beautifully situated at the foot of Cheyenne Mountain. If you are a lib, don't fret, Denver and other lib strongholds are just a short drive away.

Good luck.

Donger 11-13-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayzeofthenew (Post 5217049)
:thumb:

thanks.

Unless your comment is sarcastic like "be sure to get a left handed socket-wrench".
:D

No, I'm not kidding.

Dayze 11-13-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoDonger (Post 5217053)
No, I'm not kidding.

Cool. Good deal.

I gotta quit listening to you guys; I'm getting my hopes up :). Probably a bit of a better view than the one I have here in Peculiar.

DeezNutz 11-13-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoDonger (Post 5217053)
No, I'm not kidding.

To melt ice and snow, right?

Donger 11-13-2008 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dayzeofthenew (Post 5217061)
Cool. Good deal.

I gotta quit listening to you guys; I'm getting my hopes up :). Probably a bit of a better view than the one I have here in Peculiar.

Indeed. I'm used to seeing the mountains here in Denver, but it's quite different in the Springs. Pike's Peak is RIGHT there. I still say "Wow" every time I'm there. Garden of the Gods and the cog railway are fun, too.

Donger 11-13-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5217064)

Snow, yes. I lived here for about ten years and we've never had an ice storm. When it does snow (and yes, it does), it's usually sunny and 50 the following days. I've shoveled snow in shorts before. The snowiest months are typically March and April, too and those are mild months, so the snow doesn't stick around. But, if it snows a few feet in December/January, the snow can be on the ground (in the shadows) for months.

Rain Man 11-13-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5217064)

I wasn't a homeowner until I lived in Denver, so I assume it's the same everywhere, but yeah, if you've got a north-facing driveway or front walk, you have to get the snow off or it'll stay there forever. Driveways facing other directions are more or less self-shoveling. I assume every place is like that, though. Am I right?

Our other lucky homeowner trick is that our back yard and deck is on the east side of the house. This means that we've got a cool, shady deck in the summer as opposed to baking in the sun. I never thought about that when we bought our house, but I'm really glad we face west.

Donger 11-13-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5217086)
I wasn't a homeowner until I lived in Denver, so I assume it's the same everywhere, but yeah, if you've got a north-facing driveway or front walk, you have to get the snow off or it'll stay there forever. Driveways facing other directions are more or less self-shoveling. I assume every place is like that, though. Am I right?

Our other lucky homeowner trick is that our back yard and deck is on the east side of the house. This means that we've got a cool, shady deck in the summer as opposed to baking in the sun. I never thought about that when we bought our house, but I'm really glad we face west.

My backyard and deck faces due North. If I don't shovel my deck, that snow will be there a LONG time. Since I've got little ones, I've also been known to shovel my back yard, too. But usually only when my in-laws visit.

DeezNutz 11-13-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5217086)

Yes, true enough.

We have the same situation.

My front faces directly west, and this has been a nice benefit. In all honesty, this is something that I gave zero thought to prior to purchasing the house, but I've come to appreciate it when trying to shovel/pick at an inch of ice or so after a nasty storm.

During the summer months, by 2:00 I'm in complete shade on my back patio, enjoying the activity of the humming birds.

DeezNutz 11-13-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoDonger (Post 5217124)
My backyard and deck faces due North. If I don't shovel my deck, that snow will be there a LONG time. Since I've got little ones, I've also been known to shovel my back yard, too. But usually only when my in-laws visit.

How much of your backyard do you shovel? When we've had over a foot of snow, I've had to shovel paths and areas for my dogs, sometimes at the strangest hours (4:00 am last time). Weird chore.

Donger 11-13-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5217331)
How much of your backyard do you shovel? When we've had over a foot of snow, I've had to shovel paths and areas for my dogs, sometimes at the strangest hours (4:00 am last time). Weird chore.

That depends on how annoying my MiL is being. I have shoveled every square foot in the past.

Miles 11-13-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5216920)
I like the Springs, but recognize that it's politically and socially very conservative. It's got a big army base (which I understand is expanding significantly), and it's the home of Focus on the Family. If your tendencies lean to the left, you'll be in the minority, and it's not even close.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I really do not care for the Springs for that reason since it tends make a city less appealing to those of us that are single.

The surrounding area is outstanding if you enjoy the outdoors and Denver is not too far of a drive away if you need it (about an hour in typical traffic).

DeezNutz 11-13-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoDonger (Post 5217482)
That depends on how annoying my MiL is being. I have shoveled every square foot in the past.

That's funny. I'm sure you created quite the snow mound doing such work, unless you gave the neighbors a "holiday present."

CosmicPal 11-13-2008 11:35 PM

I like the Springs...cool little town with some great parks. I really like Manitou Springs which is right next to CO Springs and where most of the liberal types resides. Manitou is a cool, little funky town. It still maintains its old Colorado Western feel.