ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2012 Kansas Football Repository Thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253033)

ArrowheadHawk 11-28-2011 08:19 AM

**** OFFICIAL 2012 Kansas Football Repository Thread ****

New Coach, New year, new thread.

Sat, Sept. 1 SDSU at Kansas Memorial Stadium
Lawrence, KS at 6:00p.m. CT Jayhawk IMG TV Network

Sat, Sept. 8 Rice at Kansas Memorial Stadium
Lawrence, KS FSN at 2:30p.m. CT Fox Sports Net

Sat, Sept. 15 TCU at Kansas Memorial Stadium
Lawrence, KS at 11:00a.m. CT FX

Sat, Sept. 22 Kansas at No. Illinois
DeKalb, Illinois

Sat, Oct. 6 Kansas at Kansas State Bill Snyder Family Stadium
Manhattan, KS

Sat, Oct. 13 Okla. St. at Kansas Memorial Stadium
Lawrence, KS

Sat, Oct. 20 Kansas at Oklahoma Oklahoma Memorial Stadium
Norman, OK

Sat, Oct. 27 Texas at Kansas Memorial Stadium
Lawrence, KS

Sat, Nov. 3 Kansas at Baylor Floyd Casey Stadium
Waco, TX

Sat, Nov. 10 Kansas at TT Jones AT&T Stadium
Lubbock, TX

Sat, Nov. 17 Iowa State at Kansas Memorial Stadium
Lawrence, KS

Sat, Dec. 1 Kansas at West Virginia
Morgantown, W.V.

Mr. Plow 11-28-2011 08:22 AM

It can't get any worse....can it?

Fritz88 11-28-2011 08:23 AM

You've been jinxing the shit out of us for two straight years with you starting this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadHawk 11-28-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8150219)
You've been jinxing the shit out of us for two straight years with you starting this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey now. It's Gill's fault, not mine.

ChiTown 11-28-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8150216)

Boob Fescoe says Kansas is the perfect place for a top notch Coach like Mike Leach. I have no doubt, based on Boob's comments, that this will be the case.ROFL

Fritz88 11-28-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8150216)

It can. See Turner Gill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC 11-28-2011 08:30 AM

New thread new hope.

ArrowheadHawk 11-28-2011 10:48 AM

So who should we hire? Here is what I'm hoping for:

1. Leach
2. Sumlin

They may not be real options so here are more realistic options:

3. Leavit
4. Fedora

Braincase 11-28-2011 11:16 AM

I do wish TG well in the future. He was given a difficult job, and paid well to achieve certain goals, but he failed in just about every area. One area he did not fail - he behaved with class, right up until the last day. I'm sure he'll be a tremendous asset to someone's program. That said, I'm glad KU is moving on.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-28-2011 11:17 AM

I'd be a fan of Larry Fedora. I was the first time.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-28-2011 11:36 AM

I just don't see Leavitt coming...he turned down KSU offer of DC to go to the 49ers (his buddy owns the team). I think he'd be hard pressed to come to KU and play against KSU every year.

Leach is a wildcard....I could see it only because of his relationship with Zenger.

Fedora could be a likely option.

I see Sumlin getting a shot at a better school to move up, be it this year or next, so I don't foresee that.

sedated 11-28-2011 12:03 PM

anyone know anything about Dave Doeren (Northen Illinois)? He was being discussed this morning on 810.

Pants 11-28-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 8150913)
anyone know anything about Dave Doeren (Northen Illinois)? He was being discussed this morning on 810.

Ya, Turner Gill beat him earlier this year.

Fritz88 11-28-2011 12:18 PM

Leach is a very long shot.

Expect a similar Gill situation. That is, someone who had some success in a shitty conference and has potential. Get him and pray for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

beer bacon 11-28-2011 01:51 PM

Heard from Nick Athan it is a four way race between, Urban Meyer, Tressel, and the Harbaugh brothers.

Saulbadguy 11-28-2011 01:52 PM

It's going to be tough with all the openings out there right now. Best of luck.

teedubya 11-28-2011 01:56 PM

Help us Mike Leach-Kenobi.... you're our only hope.

Reerun_KC 11-28-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer bacon (Post 8151182)
Heard from Nick "Assclown" Athan it is a four way race between, Urban Meyer, Tressel, and the Harbaugh brothers.

:thumb:

the heat is on....

ArrowheadHawk 11-28-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8151185)

Hell I think KU would improve with half the guys who got fired.

Bowser 11-28-2011 02:51 PM

Good luck in your guys' search. Hopefully you guys can land Leach. He seems like he'd be the right guy to re-energize the club, and he'd have a pretty healthy disdain for all things Texas.

Mr. Plow 11-28-2011 03:06 PM

http://coachesbythenumbers.com/kansa...ey-trust-next/

Kansas Punts on Gill. Who Should They Trust Next?

After just two seasons at Kansas, AD Sheahon Zenger decided to punt on Turner Gill. Statistically, there is no doubt about it, Gill was really struggling. However, only two years in and over 6 million dollars left on his contract, it’s hard to imagine Kansas going through with firing Gill. That being said, his hiring was done by Zenger’s predecessor, Lew Perkins, which may have factored into the decision. It is not uncommon that new Athletic Directors make personnel decisions to bring in “their guy”. Kansas is the 53rd highest rated job in college football according to our proprietary CBTN Best Head Coaching Job Ranking. That being said, they are only 4 years removed from the 2007 season in which they went 12-1 on the way to a BCS Bowl win. Big things are definitely possible at Kansas. So who should KU turn to next? We’ve put a list together of the guys we’d be calling on day one.

Mike Leach

Yes, we like Mike Leach for the Kansas job as well. The bottom line is that Leach is a great coach and should be a candidate for just about every AQ job that opens up. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know he has some baggage. Read his book and you will understand that Leach’s “baggage” is not baggage at all. This guy is a great coach and a good man and should be on the list of any program looking to get better on the field. From 1970-1999, the 30-year period before Leach took the reigns at Texas Tech, the Red Raiders won eight or more games only six times and had ten losing seasons. During Leach’s ten years at the helm of Texas Tech, he won eight or more games eight different times, won eleven games for only the second time since 1970, and never lost more games than he won. Additionally, Mike Leach is used to coaching without the deck stacked in his favor. We think he would bring excitement and more importantly consistency to Kansas.

Jim Leavitt

If Michael Vick deserves a second chance after his foray into the underground world of dog fighting, we think Jim Leavitt deserves a second chance for his alleged actions toward a student athlete. Sometimes, the most profitable opportunities are the ones that have a little hair on them. Hiring Jim Leavitt is risky given the black cloud under which he was fired from South Florida, but given the job he did for the Bulls, we believe it may be a risk worth taking. Leavitt built the USF program from scratch, and from 2001-2009, he won 62.96% of his games, won eight or more games six times during, and played in five bowl games. When it comes to mentors, Leavitt has one of the best of all time in Bill Snyder and could be a great value buy for Kansas.

Jeff Monkens

Monkens, a disciple of Paul Johnson, is currently the head coach at Georgia Southern. In the five years prior to taking over, the Eagles won 51.79% of their games. In two years at the helm at Georgia Southern, Monkens has won 73.08% of his games. If hired, Monkens will bring the spread option attack with him to Lawrence and every defensive coordinator in the pass-happy Big 12 will lose a little sleep thinking about preparing for a run-based spread option offense. In his first two seasons, Monkens’ offense has averaged 31.72 points per game and his defense is giving up an average of 19.41 points per game.

Ralph Friedgen

Kansas clearly doesn’t have a problem with hiring overweight coaches with anger management issues (see Mark Mangino). In fact, it was an overweight coach with anger management issues that led the Jayhaws to a 12-1 record in 2007 and 6+ wins in five of eight seasons. If you are familiar with the concept of loss aversion, you understand that the pain that comes with losing is more memorable than the joy that comes with winning. In Ralph Friedgen’s ten years as the head coach at Maryland, he won 60.00% of his games, 53.75% of his conference games, had a winning record against over .500 teams, and won 8+ games in six of his ten seasons. In 2001, Friedgen won all four major Coach of the Year awards. However, Friedgen did have four losing seasons, and we don’t believe the Maryland fan base ever forgave him for his 2-10 record in 2009. Coach Friedgen will certainly not wow anyone during the press conference, but his history has shown that he will win you some football games.

Kevin Sumlin

Since taking the reigns at Houston in 2008, Kevin Sumlin has won 69.23% of his games and has had a top 15 nationally ranked scoring offense in each of his four seasons coaching the Cougars. Houston’s overall winning percentage in the five years prior to Sumlin’s arrival was 53.97%. Sumlin did take over a program that Art Briles had resurrected from the cellar of Conference USA. That being said, Sumlin has only elevated the Cougars and appears to have Houston headed for a Conference USA Championship and BCS Bowl bid.

June Jones

The biggest problem we have with June Jones is that we can’t picture him without a Lei, a stache, and a Hawaiian shirt. Once we get past this, we like what we see. In the five years prior to Jones taking over at Hawaii, the Fighting Rainbows had won 20.34% of their games. From 1999-2007, Jones won 64.96% of his games and won nine or more games in six of the nine seasons he was head coach. In the five years before Jones took over at SMU, the Mustangs won 25.86% of their games. Since Coach Jones took over in 2008, the Mustangs have won 45.10% of their games (this includes Jones’ first year when SMU went 1-11). Jones is also responsible for leading the Mustangs to their first back-to-back-to-back .500 or better seasons since the mid 1980′s. His name doesn’t get mentioned that much, but June Jones is one heck of a coach.

Larry Fedora

Over the eleven seasons, Larry Fedora has been an offensive coordinator for seven years and a head coach over the last four. During this eleven year period, Larry Fedora has only been involved in one losing season. Additionally, over this period Fedora has had top 25 scoring offenses in seven of eleven seasons. Prior to this season, Fedora did not appear to be doing anything out of the ordinary at Southern Miss, but as we noted in our article on Mike Gundy, it sometimes takes coordinators a few years to get their sea legs as a head coach.

Tim Beckman

Tim Beckman was a defensive coordinator at Bowling Green from 2001-2004, the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State from 2007-2008, and has been the head coach at Toledo from 2009-2011. During these nine seasons as either a defensive coordinator or head coach, Beckman has been involved in seven 8+ win seasons. In the five years prior to taking over at Toledo, the Rockets had won 50.82% of their games and had back-to-back-back losing seasons. Beckman has since won eight games in two of his first three seasons as head coach (66%). In his ten years at Toledo prior to taking the job at Missouri, Gary Pinkel only won 8+ games four times (40%). Beckman has had extremely solid mentors in Mike Gundy, Jim Tressel, and Urban Meyer and could be a great option to bring some stability to Kansas’ program.

Fritz88 11-28-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8151185)

It is going to be mighty tough.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam 11-28-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 8151200)
Help us Mike Leach-Kenobi.... you're our only hope.

Leach will be UCLAs next coach. Bank on it.

ArrowheadHawk 11-28-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8151822)
Leach will be UCLAs next coach. Bank on it.

Why did they fire a guy for going to the title game?

LiveSteam 11-28-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 8151830)
Why did they fire a guy for going to the title game?

Can you really call it a title game with USC on probation?
Just in case you didnt know. UCLA backed into it. Via USC probation

ArrowheadHawk 11-28-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8151834)
Can you really call it a title game with USC on probation?
Just in case you didnt know. UCLA backed into it. Via USC probation

Ok so 2nd place in the division is worth firing?

LiveSteam 11-28-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 8151840)
Ok so 2nd place in the division is worth firing?

I think they still have to win 1 more to become bowl eligible
EDIT
The school announced Monday that Neuheisel was fired after leading the Bruins to a 21-28 record in his four seasons. UCLA is 6-6 and will face the Ducks

Saul Good 11-28-2011 05:47 PM

The more I think about it. The more I think Kansas will land a big name. There are a ton of them out there.

Tressel
Leach
Mangino
Fullmer
Leavett
Nutt
Butch Davis
The Nebraska coach who replaced Osbore who's name escapes me.

Spott 11-28-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8151844)
I think they still have to win 1 more to become bowl eligible
EDIT
The school announced Monday that Neuheisel was fired after leading the Bruins to a 21-28 record in his four seasons. UCLA is 6-6 and will face the Ducks

So when UCLA loses to Oregon, will they be bowl eligible at 6-7?

LiveSteam 11-28-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8151846)
The more I think about it. The more I think Kansas will land a big name. There are a ton of them out there.

Tressel
Leach
Mangino
Fullmer
Leavett
Nutt
Butch Davis
The Nebraska coach who replaced Osbore who's name escapes me.

No big names are going to come to Kansas. Your school kills coaching careers.
For the record Gill had 3 more losses that Mangina did in his first 2 years at Kan. The only mistake made. Was made by Gill. He should never have taken that shitty job to start with.

LiveSteam 11-28-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 8151854)
So when UCLA loses to Oregon, will they be bowl eligible at 6-7?

They are bowl eligible at 6 wins. Dont mean any bowl will pick them up

Extra Point 11-28-2011 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=Saul Good;8151846]The more I think about it. The more I think Kansas will land a big name. There are a ton of them out there.

Tressel
Leach
Mangino
Fullmer
Leavett
Nutt
Butch Davis
Solich [QUOTE]

Good field, sans Fatman, Tressel, and Fullmer.

Leach, Leavitt, Davis, Solich, then, Nutt, would be a good order of ranked refusal. On whose part, is up to the Zenger. (How do I remember Zenger's name? When he was introduced during halftime at the UMKC away game, the only KU game I attended. Really, it was today's paper. I only post on threads like this, as most of my life savings went to Lawrence.)

KChiefs1 11-28-2011 05:59 PM

HC's should be running to interview for the KU job!
Didn't KU pay the last guy $2,000,000 per win?

Saul Good 11-28-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8151861)
They are bowl eligible at 6 wins. Dont mean any bowl will pick them up

I don't think 6-7 is bowl eligible.

LiveSteam 11-28-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8151896)
I don't think 6-7 is bowl eligible.

I thought you just had to have the 6 wins.
Maybe Im wrong or they changed it?
6 wins in today's football is hardly an accomplishment that needs rewarding.

Spott 11-28-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8151903)
I thought you just had to have the 6 wins.
Maybe Im wrong or they changed it?
6 wins in today's football is hardly an accomplishment that needs rewarding.

UCLA will have to petition the NCAA to be bowl eligible if the finish 6-7(whatever that means).

Mr. Plow 11-28-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8151859)
For the record Gill had 3 more losses that Mangina did in his first 2 years at Kan. The only mistake made. Was made by Gill. He should never have taken that shitty job to start with.

I agree with you...to an extent. Mangino had the program headed in the right direction, but it took several years to get it going. It's going to take a head coach with dedication to program, and the school being dedicated to the program. It's not going to happen overnight.

KU is never going to be a Nebraska/LSU/etc type program - but there is no reason that they can't be a solid program going to bowl games.

I'm not going to claim that X coach is coming to KU. But, money talks - everyone knows that. Yeah, I know...paying Mangino, etc....but if they (KU) REALLY wants the program headed in the right direction, they'll get it.

Mr. Plow 11-28-2011 07:27 PM

armenontheair Armen Williams

Reports are that Mike Leach is on his way to interview at KU. All I'll say is, his cell is currently turned off. ('Cause he's on a plane?)

DeezNutz 11-28-2011 07:28 PM

Leach would be a pure upside hire for KU. Absolutely no reason not to do it if he will accept the job.

Mr. Plow 11-28-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8152075)
armenontheair Armen Williams

Reports are that Mike Leach is on his way to interview at KU. All I'll say is, his cell is currently turned off. ('Cause he's on a plane?)

Shay contradicts the above.....

FYI -- JayHawkSlant.com, as to whom I trust dearly, is denying previous reports that Mike Leach is on a plane to interview at KU.

1 minute ago

chiefqueen 11-28-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 8151914)
UCLA will have to petition the NCAA to be bowl eligible if the finish 6-7(whatever that means).

Another factor may be the PAC 12 have more bowl spots than bowl eligible teams this year.

KC_Connection 11-28-2011 09:30 PM

Is Mike Leach on another flight to Lawrence tonight? He was supposed to be hiding in the Oread yesterday.

Braincase 11-28-2011 09:37 PM

If you take a look at the coaches that have been canned, Gill's salary was at the top of the list. WashSU, Tulane, Akron will not be players. UCLA might be able to get in the neighborhood, as might ASU/Zona.

Interesting numbers here.

Mr. Plow 11-28-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8152316)
Is Mike Leach on another flight to Lawrence tonight? He was supposed to be hiding in the Oread yesterday.

Supposedly he was/is on his way to Lawrence and Zenger is now on his way to Florida. They really should make better plans. LMAO

teedubya 11-28-2011 10:38 PM

Mike Leach is ****ing hilarious. Here he is on as a local guest weatherman in Lubbuck. lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qSPcMXWJjUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HOLY SHIT... another hilarious piece with him as coach... then it goes to some other clips.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RqRz9gQfYr8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Fat Little Girlfriends"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c6brYtuPX-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This guy is comedy gold... and he wins football games.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uZaOFTp5_C8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"You're out of your ****in' mind! Michael Crabtree made that ****in' play..."

Hilarious.

KChiefs1 11-28-2011 10:43 PM

Mike Leach is hilarious!

ChiefsCountry 11-28-2011 10:43 PM

Tim Beckman of Toledo sounds like he could be a sleeper higher. Real good coaching background.

Pablo 11-28-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8152539)
Tim Beckman of Toledo sounds like he could be a sleeper higher. Real good coaching background.

I'm a fan of the sleeper lower, personally.

teedubya 11-28-2011 10:48 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ImoAOlXE10" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The guy has never sent an email... he is like a football savant or something. Like Rain Man as a football coach, the movie Rain Man, not the CP Rain Man.

Mr. Plow 11-28-2011 11:01 PM

Matt Tait
Late night update to clear up a few things: Leach not in town, Zenger is in town.... For now. Let's see what happens tomorrow. #KUfball

teedubya 11-28-2011 11:11 PM

Maryland thought he was going to be their coach last year and compiled a bunch of Mike Leach hilarity...

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/12/...d-movie-critic

teedubya 11-28-2011 11:36 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/ma...OH3Sav4SxKtCsQ

Coach Leach Goes Deep, Very Deep

By MICHAEL LEWIS December 4, 2005 New York Times

Pants 11-28-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8151859)

Don't be a ****ing idiot. Gill didn't get fired because he couldn't win, he got fired because he was never competitive. There is a reason Mangino didn't get fired after his 2 years even though he was losing.

LiveSteam 11-29-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8152739)
Don't be a ****ing idiot. Gill didn't get fired because he couldn't win, he got fired because he was never competitive. There is a reason Mangino didn't get fired after his 2 years even though he was losing.

Ya he was white

Imon Yourside 11-29-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 8152854)
Ya he was white

:spock:

Saulbadguy 11-29-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Ya he was white

:thumb:

Reerun_KC 11-29-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Ya he was white

well that was the reason KSU fired scary smart and replaced him with old balls again....

Racism runs deep in Kansas...

DJ's left nut 11-29-2011 10:30 AM

How much money can KU give Leach? The Athletic Department is already in debt and they just absorbed a pretty sizable hit when they fired Gill. Most of the donor money is likely going to KU Basketball at this point to boot.

Leach will get some very lucrative offers. A school like UCLA would likely throw a ton of money at him, no? As well as the opportunity to recruit California recruits for his spread.

I know he has a quasi-relationship with your AD and is likely to relish the chance to play Tech every season, but can KU really stay in the financial ballpark if UCLA comes and offers him $3 million+/season? They'll also likely give him a hell of a recruiting budget and more money to pay his assistants than KU could.

I love the guy, more power to you if you get him, but can the finances really work out?

Reerun_KC 11-29-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153289)
How much money can KU give Leach? The Athletic Department is already in debt and they just absorbed a pretty sizable hit when they fired Gill. Most of the donor money is likely going to KU Basketball at this point to boot.

Leach will get some very lucrative offers. A school like UCLA would likely throw a ton of money at him, no? As well as the opportunity to recruit California recruits for his spread.

I know he has a quasi-relationship with your AD and is likely to relish the chance to play Tech every season, but can KU really stay in the financial ballpark if UCLA comes and offers him $3 million+/season? They'll also likely give him a hell of a recruiting budget and more money to pay his assistants than KU could.

I love the guy, more power to you if you get him, but can the finances really work out?

from what I understand... There are plenty of donors lined up to take care of this financial burden and do whats right for the football program. I could be wrong, but that is the why I have heard/read it from some reliable people.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8153330)
from what I understand... There are plenty of donors lined up to take care of this financial burden and do whats right for the football program. I could be wrong, but that is the why I have heard/read it from some reliable people.

If KU wants to actually try to build the program and they put some dedication into it, I'd be surprised if they couldn't come up with the money.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 10:49 AM

The deal is done?

ChiefsInsider Warpaint Illustrated For those that thought Mike Leach was a lock for the # Jayhawks, things have cooled. Interested in speaking to UCLA about their HC Vacancy!

Reerun_KC 11-29-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153358)
The deal is done?

ChiefsInsider Warpaint Illustrated For those that thought Mike Leach was a lock for the # Jayhawks, things have cooled. Interested in speaking to UCLA about their HC Vacancy!

:LOL:

Dammit AssClown...

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8153359)
:LOL:

Dammit AssClown...

I would take that as a good sign for KU. LMAO

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 11:01 AM

Still think Larry Fedora would be the best for the job (wanted him over Gill the first time). I'm not an expert, and take it all at face value from what I read on the internet.

So, like most of us, I have no real clue as to who would be the best candidate. ;)

Braincase 11-29-2011 11:03 AM

Knowing Zenger, I doubt he would make a move like he did as quickly as he did without having pocket aces. It wouldn't surprise me at all if something were to be announced next Monday, hell, or even this Friday.

HolyHandgernade 11-29-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153289)

You and this debt thing. The debt you speak of is manageable born out of capital improvements. You'll learn anout this as your school attempts to keep pace in the SEC. The amount of the debt has been paid off ahead of schedule, so don't you worry your black and gold head about it.

UCLA isn't goint to offer 3 million a year and Leach isn't even their top target. This is all about trying to gain leverage. Not saying KU will get Leach, just that your scenario buys into the leverage Leach wants to create. KU will counter with other candidates and how badly Leach would like to get back into the Big XII and Texas recruiting which is his wheelhouse.

The finances come mostly from boosters, not the university. IOW, boosters have made up the buyout money. So, the university books are largely concerned with what they are paying the next head coach. Don't forget, the new contract begins to kick in as well, so these revenue problems you're so concerned for us about aren't nearly as bad I believe you hope they are.

DJ's left nut 11-29-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8153408)
Still think Larry Fedora would be the best for the job (wanted him over Gill the first time). I'm not an expert, and take it all at face value from what I read on the internet.

So, like most of us, I have no real clue as to who would be the best candidate. ;)

Am I crazy for thinking you guys should target Sonny Dykes?

He might just be Leach without the crazy and the pricetag. Then again, Leach without the crazy is only about 1/2 as entertaining.

The good news is that you can't do worse than the last guy.

DJ's left nut 11-29-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8153543)
Don't forget, the new contract begins to kick in as well, so these revenue problems you're so concerned for us about aren't nearly as bad I believe you hope they are.

Sweetheart - I'm not wishing ill on your program at all. I'm legitimately curious at this point.

Like I said - I love me some Mike Leach. Put him in the XII and I'll still get to see his teams play and listen to him be a little nuts. I'll get to see a guy that wants nothing more than to beat a team from Texas; I can get behind that. It'll make sports radio in the area that much better and it's not like Mizzou will have to deal with playing him at this point since you fellas are still being bitter.

I'd be happy to see Leach end up at KU, it just seems like a pretty tall order to pay for Gill, Perkins and Leach at the same time, especially at a school where most booster dollars seem to be allocated to basketball (your own faithful will make that point and make it frequently).

Calm down, dick. Just because you like to come be a complete troll in our threads doesn't mean I'm doing the same here; quit projecting. You'll notice I didn't even post in your disaster of a 2011 thread because I don't care about that trainwreck, nor did I post in the EMAW thread.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153547)

Exactly.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153547)
Am I crazy for thinking you guys should target Sonny Dykes?

He might just be Leach without the crazy and the pricetag. Then again, Leach without the crazy is only about 1/2 as entertaining.

I actually think Sonny Dykes would be a good candidate as well.

And please stop reminding us about the last guy.. I thank you for at least not using his name.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153560)
I'd be happy to see Leach end up at KU, it just seems like a pretty tall order to pay for Gill, Perkins and Leach at the same time, especially at a school where most booster dollars seem to be allocated to basketball (your own faithful will make that point and make it frequently).

Gill will be off the books because his money is due in like 90 days or something - or that could be a rumor, I don't know....but I don't think Zenger would have made his move so quickly if the money wasn't already lined up.

DJ's left nut 11-29-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8153567)
I actually think Sonny Dykes would be a good candidate as well.

And please stop reminding us about the last guy.. I thank you for at least not using his name.

Okay - another legitimate question - is there any actual animus towards him?

For instance, I think Herm's a dolt of a head coach, but a legitimately nice guy. He was a guy that I really wanted to see succeed but damn if he couldn't just stay out of his own way.

KU fans seem to hate Gill right now, and I suppose with good reason. But is he the kind of guy you really want to essentially expunge from existence? I mean it's not like he Quin Snydered you fellas or anything. He didn't bring in a bunch of women beaters and rapists, didn't do coke, put you on probation or nail a player's girlfriend. If nothing else, he was a damn fine representative for your program. Does that spare him any barbs here or is it pretty much just raw, unadulterated hate?

There just seems to be a lot of personal venom towards Gill. I know he was a shitty coach, but damn, he didn't go all Sandusky or anything.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153575)
Gill will be off the books because his money is due in like 90 days or something - or that could be a rumor, I don't know....but I don't think Zenger would have made his move so quickly if the money wasn't already lined up.

Not sure I ever understood peoples thinking about "off the books". $6 mil is $6 mil in this instance. Paying up front doesn't make it any better for the university, if anything it makes it worse.

The only thing it gives us fans is a Peace of Mind that the abortion has been put behind us.

DJ's left nut 11-29-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153575)

Wow - Gill must have a hell of an agent.

I wonder if it's a reduced amount at least; the time value of several million dollars that would've been earned over another 3 years is pretty significant. If he's getting the same amount and getting it all up front, he's cornholing you guys. Besides, if he gets another job, that would offset the amount he would technically be owed (mitigating the damages). As such, KU would be entitled to reduce the entire balance by whatever he earned. If he already has that in hand, KU now has to go through the process of getting it back from him.

I'll be honest, that kinda seems unlikely, but I guess it's not impossible. Did they negotiate a reduced buyout with him? Because that would make more sense at that point. He'd have more leverage to demand it within 90 days and he'd have more incentive to go out and find a new job.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8153594)
Not sure I ever understood peoples thinking about "off the books". $6 mil is $6 mil in this instance. Paying up front doesn't make it any better for the university, if anything it makes it worse.

The only thing it gives us fans is a Peace of Mind that the abortion has been put behind us.

Does that $6 million come from the university, or donors?

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8153597)
Wow - Gill must have a hell of an agent.

I wonder if it's a reduced amount at least; the time value of several million dollars that would've been earned over another 3 years is pretty significant. If he's getting the same amount and getting it all up front, he's cornholing you guys. Besides, if he gets another job, that would offset the amount he would technically be owed (mitigating the damages). As such, KU would be entitled to reduce the entire balance by whatever he earned. If he already has that in hand, KU now has to go through the process of getting it back from him.

I'll be honest, that kinda seems unlikely, but I guess it's not impossible. Did they negotiate a reduced buyout with him? Because that would make more sense at that point. He'd have more leverage to demand it within 90 days and he'd have more incentive to go out and find a new job.

All I've read are rumors, so take them for what they are worth.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153604)

I see your point, but Zenger was quoted as saying the eaten salary will be paid for by the new TV revenue. I'll have to try and find the quote.

Mr. Plow 11-29-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8153631)
I see your point, but Zenger was quoted as saying the eaten salary will be paid for by the new TV revenue. I'll have to try and find the quote.

I was legitimately curious where the money came from - I believed it was donors, but wasn't sure.

DJ's left nut 11-29-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153634)
I was legitimately curious where the money came from - I believed it was donors, but wasn't sure.

That's a bit of a shell game then, isn't it? He can say it comes from "the TV revenue..." but the TV revenue is going to form the bulk of the Athletic Department's budget, no? So it's absolutely akin to saying it will come out of the AD budget (though I guess he could consider it coming out of the 'expanded' AD budget).

It's a creative answer, but perhaps not one I'd be excited about.

Coogs 11-29-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8153604)

Saw on NBC41 sports last night where one alumni was putting up $800,000 towards the buyout. I had the volume turned down, but they had an interview with him... and they had in words across the bottom that he was putting up that much of his cash.