ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

MTG#10 03-28-2018 05:26 PM

https://image.ibb.co/hoyUS7/20180328_181652.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yRzlD.gif

Shag 03-28-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 13494092)

Excellent beer.

KCrockaholic 03-28-2018 05:31 PM

I just went to Prairie on Saturday. Really nice place. I had a chicken salad for lunch. Then a flight of Christmas bomb, Pe-Kan, and some other nice imperial stouts.

MTG#10 03-28-2018 05:38 PM

$6.49 for one 12oz bottle here. :(

Suppose I should be thankful I even found one to try

Marcellus 03-28-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 13494111)
$6.49 for one 12oz bottle here. :(

Suppose I should be thankful I even found one to try

Pretty much the going rate. Worth every penny too.

GloucesterChief 03-30-2018 11:09 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g...=w1688-h949-no

Lineup for the weekend and next week. Left to right

Shiner Dunkelweizen. Spoetzl. Dunkel.
The Barista. Clown Shoes. Breakfast Brown Ale.
Shiner Farmhouse Rye. Spoetzl. Rye beer.
Wild Blueberry. Sea Dog. Blueberry Ale.
Cranberry Orange Radler. Boulevard. Radler.
Weizen. Licher. Hefeweizen.
Satyr's Swill. Back Pew. Bock.
Old Chub. Oskar Blues. Scotch Ale.
Chocolate Sombrero. Clown Shoes. Mexican Chocolate Stout.
Lemon and Ginger Radler. Karbach. Radler.
Strawgator. Abita. Strawberry Doppelbock.

Easy 6 03-30-2018 11:31 AM

I'll tell you one NOT to try that I bought a 6 of last week... Samuel Adams 'Sam 76'

Holy cowshit that stuff is awful, forced two down and the rest are in the crisper waiting for someone to come by who can stomach it... its like a very hoppy, way too sweet PBR, straight up gross

KCrockaholic 03-30-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13496210)
I'll tell you one NOT to try that I bought a 6 of last week... Samuel Adams 'Sam 76'

Holy cowshit that stuff is awful, forced two down and the rest are in the crisper waiting for someone to come by who can stomach it... its like a very hoppy, way too sweet PBR, straight up gross

This beer you speak of is only 12 IBUs.

But regardless, I have no respect for Sam Adams after the cherry wheat they brought out.

Easy 6 03-30-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 13496217)
This beer you speak of is only 12 IBUs.

But regardless, I have no respect for Sam Adams after the cherry wheat they brought out.

Its still too hoppy for the pairing of styles they went with

Hoppy + Sweet = YUCK, IMO

MTG#10 03-30-2018 01:03 PM

My weekend lineup. Got a 6er of the Paulaner Salvator, and a 4pk of KBS/milf.

https://image.ibb.co/hr3jEn/20180330_140000.jpg

Lzen 03-30-2018 02:42 PM

Anyone know what's up with Free State Brewing Co.'s Brinkley's Maibock this year? They had something at the liquor store called Brinkley's Helles Bock and it had the same goat on the label. I didn't think it tasted quite the same as Brinkley's Maibock. Is this Brinkley's Helles bock something different or is that just my brain playing tricks on me?

Shag 03-30-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13496469)
Anyone know what's up with Free State Brewing Co.'s Brinkley's Maibock this year? They had something at the liquor store called Brinkley's Helles Bock and it had the same goat on the label. I didn't think it tasted quite the same as Brinkley's Maibock. Is this Brinkley's Helles bock something different or is that just my brain playing tricks on me?

Helles and Maibock are two different styles, so those would have been different beers.

GloucesterChief 03-30-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13496504)
Helles and Maibock are two different styles, so those would have been different beers.

and goats appear on labels of bock beer no matter the style.

NewChief 03-30-2018 06:27 PM

Grace and Grit made its way up to Arkansas again. I'm a happy man.

GloucesterChief 03-31-2018 09:48 AM

Licher Weizen. A weaker tasting Hefeweizen. Not bad for the price since it is an aldi beer but nowhere near Franziskaner or 8th Wonder's Weisstheimar.

Oskar Blues Old Chub. Good Scotch Ale. I think I like Belhaven and Royal Standard better but Old Chub isn't far behind.

KCUnited 04-01-2018 07:38 AM

I roadtripped a neon blue Hyundai Elantra rental car over to Iowa this weekend for the Toppling Goliath Assassin release. I wasn't super impressed with their new taproom, it's huge which is nice, but kind of canned with little character. Hats off to them for hosting a super smooth beer release though. Also, I was impressed with the beers I had at Pulpit Rock in Decorah IA as well.

It was my first timing drinking Assassin and it easily has the best mouthfeel of any stout I've had.

https://i.imgur.com/B44AsP1.jpg?1

KCUnited 04-01-2018 01:44 PM

Worth the property tax and flying bullets. Bourbon County 2014-2017 vertical on an Easter Sunday (they had KBS '14-17 on as well).

https://i.imgur.com/Nh9LdpG.jpg?1

Marcellus 04-01-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13498703)
Worth the property tax and flying bullets. Bourbon County 2014-2017 vertical on an Easter Sunday (they had KBS '14-17 on as well).

https://i.imgur.com/Nh9LdpG.jpg?1

Man that makes my mouth water. Enjoy.

I have 1x 2014 , 3 x 2016, and 3 x 2017, in my fridge. Believe I will drink a 2016 tonight.

Would love your feedback on which one you like the best.

KCUnited 04-01-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13498709)
Man that makes my mouth water. Enjoy.

I have 1x 2014 , 3 x 2016, and 3 x 2017, in my fridge. Believe I will drink a 2016 tonight.

Would love your feedback on which one you like the best.

'15 was easily my favorite, followed by '14, '17, '16. '14 packed the flavor but felt a bit thin. This place is notorious for serving their stouts too cold though, imo. So impatience started to set in.

They also had '14 Bourbon County Coffee on which is tasting great. It really put to bed the BCBCS vs. KBS debate for me (KBS still being great).

Marcellus 04-01-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13498719)
'15 was easily my favorite, followed by '14, '17, '16. '14 packed the flavor but felt a bit thin. This place is notorious for serving their stouts too cold though, imo. So impatience started to set in.

They also had '14 Bourbon County Coffee on which is tasting great. It really put to bed the BCBCS vs. KBS debate for me (KBS still being great).

KBS is ok but its not in the same zipcode as BCS IMO.

I would rather drink MILF or Prairie Bomb than KBS personally.

I have a 2016 KBS in my fridge if you are interested in some trading. In fact I have a couple barrel aged home brews I am bottling in the next month or so I would throw in for you to try.

KCUnited 04-01-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13498732)
KBS is ok but its not in the same zipcode as BCS IMO.

I would rather drink MILF or Prairie Bomb than KBS personally.

I have a 2016 KBS in my fridge if you are interested in some trading. In fact I have a couple barrel aged home brews I am bottling in the next month or so I would throw in for you to try.

I'm good on KBS, but I'm always up for some trades. Would be especially interested in trying your homebrew. Feel free to PM with whatever you may be interested in from Chicago/Great Lakes area.

KCUnited 04-01-2018 04:37 PM

'14 & '15 KBS

https://i.imgur.com/p8LRs5q.jpg?1

'17 BC Prop & Northwoods

https://i.imgur.com/GwsHPhl.jpg?1

Night night.

TimBone 04-02-2018 01:43 AM

Somebody check on KCUnited.

KCUnited 04-02-2018 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 13499402)
Somebody check on KCUnited.

Haha, you can find me in SR’s calorie counting thread for the rest of the month.

Shag 04-02-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13498719)

Odd choice to age a Coffee stout - surprised it held up. Was there any coffee flavor left?

KBS is great fresh (falls off fast), but I'll take BCBCS every time.

KCUnited 04-02-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13499578)
Odd choice to age a Coffee stout - surprised it held up. Was there any coffee flavor left?

KBS is great fresh (falls off fast), but I'll take BCBCS every time.

It was definitely subtle but present and probably tasting better to me as I don't go wild over coffee or coffee stouts.

A somewhat funny and related story, we were sharing a communal table with 3 guys visiting from Sweden. I told them they should order the '17 BC Prop on tap since that's the quintessential Chicago craft beer (and tasting fantastic, btw) and the reason the bar was so crowded. Lol, they were almost appalled by it. Didn't consider it beer and were being polite by finishing it. I went on to explain the pastry stout craze in the US to them.

lawrenceRaider 04-02-2018 10:47 AM

Was able to try this little beer while I was in Amsterdam a couple weeks back.

Trappist Westvleteren 12 (XII)

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...22&oe=5B374D8B

This one as well.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...46&oe=5B38D20F

MTG#10 04-14-2018 03:19 PM

I just got two 64 oz growlers filled today, one with KBS and the other with Bourbon Barrel Raise A Ruckus from Piney River. Total cost $57 but soooooooooooo worth it. The KBS from bottle is great but from the keg it is night and day. Same with Raise A Ruckus. I always thought growler fills were supposed to be cheaper but these were both slightly higher per oz...after tasting I can understand why.

Obviously everyone that posts regularly in this thread knows about KBS but for those that haven't tried Raise A Ruckus give it a shot, you wont be disappointed. The original is very good, the bourbon barrel is outstanding.

Bearcat 04-14-2018 03:26 PM

They've had Xocoveza on tap at my favorite spot for a few weeks, and picked up a couple bottles of Stone Mikhail last night. Mikhail is better, IMO.

I thought Stone was a little overrated when they first got to KC, relative to what I had heard and some of the excitement from friends, but those two... :drool:

MTG#10 04-14-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13517053)
They've had Xocoveza on tap at my favorite spot for a few weeks, and picked up a couple bottles of Stone Mikhail last night. Mikhail is better, IMO.

I thought Stone was a little overrated when they first got to KC, relative to what I had heard and some of the excitement from friends, but those two... :drool:

We have Mikhail in my area but not on tap. I was hesitant to buy a bomber because its pretty high and I really wasn't impressed with Stone's regular RIS...I mean it was okay but not even close to my top 5 Russians. Too much of that "prune" flavor for me. Maybe the espresso in the Mikhail covers it up? I would kill for Xocoveza on tap...that is still my GOAT stout for now.

phisherman 04-14-2018 04:42 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of Stone's regular imperial stout but every barrel aged variant that I have tried has been money. They're definitely worth a shot.

Bearcat 04-14-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 13517065)
We have Mikhail in my area but not on tap. I was hesitant to buy a bomber because its pretty high and I really wasn't impressed with Stone's regular RIS...I mean it was okay but not even close to my top 5 Russians. Too much of that "prune" flavor for me. Maybe the espresso in the Mikhail covers it up? I would kill for Xocoveza on tap...that is still my GOAT stout for now.

I've never had their Russian Imperial Stout (which I'm sure I'd enjoy), but between the bourbon barrels and espresso, Mikhail isn't the typical RIS flavor (and it's heavier).... it's hard to describe (unless you've have Modern Times Monsters' Park, then it's like that, but not $34).

MTG#10 04-14-2018 06:21 PM

3/4 through my 64oz growler of KBS. I'm feeling mighty fine.

KCUnited 04-26-2018 06:28 AM

Any of you guys or gals have experience with these sour NEIPAs that are becoming popular?

I had one for the first time last night and was intrigued enough to seek out others. It was a local place using their base NEIPA recipe and process, only kettle soured. So that soft, creamy mouthfeel, but with a tart fruitiness. Not something I would want all the time, but 16oz was pleasant to drink before moving on. They had a new Munich Helles pouring as well, so I did actually taste beer at some point :D

This place is releasing another version next week and I see a couple other places near me are releasing some next month for craft beer week. Let me know if you're aware of others worth trying, outside of Hudson Valley.

Saulbadguy 04-26-2018 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13496469)

Do you know the story of the goat? It's actually quite fascinating.

TimBone 04-26-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13531489)
Any of you guys or gals have experience with these sour NEIPAs that are becoming popular?

I had one for the first time last night and was intrigued enough to seek out others. It was a local place using their base NEIPA recipe and process, only kettle soured. So that soft, creamy mouthfeel, but with a tart fruitiness. Not something I would want all the time, but 16oz was pleasant to drink before moving on. They had a new Munich Helles pouring as well, so I did actually taste beer at some point :D

This place is releasing another version next week and I see a couple other places near me are releasing some next month for craft beer week. Let me know if you're aware of others worth trying, outside of Hudson Valley.

I've seen them all over the IG here lately. How sour was the one you tried? They all look good in pics, but I can only handle a bit of tartness. The thought of a sour IPA doesn't really get me going, but like I said, they do look good.

KCUnited 04-26-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 13531962)
I've seen them all over the IG here lately. How sour was the one you tried? They all look good in pics, but I can only handle a bit of tartness. The thought of a sour IPA doesn't really get me going, but like I said, they do look good.

I've become pretty finicky about sours myself, especially the uber puckering, immediate heartburn sours. The one I had, Forbidden Root, I felt was a little too tart, but I talked to them and they indicated this was their first attempt and plan to get it creamier and dial back the sour for their next one (key lime). A lot of the ones I've read about seem to be using lactose/milk sugar to add body and sweetness to balance it. Sort of a milkshake IPA with a more tart fruit presence by the sound of it. I'd like to try some others but those Hudson Valley's look hard to come by.

https://i.imgur.com/WBX9Uxy.jpg?1

lewdog 04-26-2018 07:59 PM

I like Sours.

I don’t like IPA Sours.

I’m a bitch.

Marcellus 04-26-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13533482)
I like Sours.

I don’t like IPA Sours.

I’m a bitch.

Try a Brett IPA. Brett takes the bitterness away and makes it more fruity, like you. :D

lewdog 04-26-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13533499)
Try a Brett IPA. Brett takes the bitterness away and makes it more fruity, like you. :D

Go on....I’m listening.

KCUnited 04-26-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13533482)
I like Sours.

I don’t like IPA Sours.

I’m a bitch.

Take your wife on a weekend lunch date in Tempe, stop by The Shop and order a Church Music before you definitively rule out IPAs. Super juicy, low bitterness. Often described as IPAs for people who don’t like IPAs. What all the kids are drinking these days.

Marcellus 04-26-2018 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13533523)
Go on....I’m listening.

Look for Crooked Stave Hop Savant.

I'm sure you can get it in AZ as its brewed in Colorado and I can get it in Missouri.

lewdog 04-26-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13533564)
Take your wife on a weekend lunch date in Tempe, stop by The Shop and order a Church Music before you definitively rule out IPAs. Super juicy, low bitterness. Often described as IPAs for people who don’t like IPAs. What all the kids are drinking these days.

I’d rather go with you though.

/no homo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13533584)

I'm sure you can get it in AZ as its brewed in Colorado and I can get it in Missouri.

Will do. Thanks man!

Bearcat 04-26-2018 09:12 PM

"The Shop".... "Church Music IPA" ...."Tickle Fight IPA"...

Yikes.

lewdog 04-26-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13533584)

Lots of crooked Stave available at Total Wine but not that one it seems?

KCUnited 04-26-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13533782)
I’d rather go with you though.

/no homo

Man, we were a competitive benefits package away from being neighbors, just couldn't get it negotiated. I'm still getting the available PHX real estate emails, but we're locked into Chicago for at least another 5 years now. I'll be down every February and March though. If you ever feel like driving a few hours, that duty free shop in Lukeville at the border has some good prices on bourbon...and cologne.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13533803)
"The Shop".... "Church Music IPA" ...."Tickle Fight IPA"...

Yikes.

Plus the fact the taproom is in a module home makes it even more Yikes. It's probably my favorite PHX taproom/brewery combo space though. The beers are legit and they capture that Southwest cool vibe more than any other brewery I've been to down there. Probably wouldn't impress you SW guys as much though, but coming from the tundra, sitting on the patio drinking quality beers, listening to good music while watching the planes fly into Sky Harbor was perfect.

scho63 04-27-2018 06:31 AM

I've been drinking a lot of these Sculpin IPA drafts to start my dinner the past few months as they seem to be on tap in every restaurant I go to at the bar.

Really like them. Not as "sticky" or hoppy as Lagunitas IPA

https://www.ballastpoint.com/wp-cont...ge-Sculpin.png

scho63 04-27-2018 06:34 AM

I really love how they lay out all the beers and info on a nice board, almost like "airline flights". Wonder if that is what they had in mind at the time they did it.

Looks like a great variety as well. :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13498703)

Marcellus 04-27-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13533890)
Lots of crooked Stave available at Total Wine but not that one it seems?

See if they can order it for you. Its fantastic and not too hoppy for you I wouldn't think.

OnTheWarpath15 04-27-2018 02:31 PM

Can't remember if I've mentioned this here before, but Even More Jesus from Evil Twin Brewing is an outstanding imperial stout.

SithCeNtZ 04-27-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 13534969)
Can't remember if I've mentioned this here before, but Even More Jesus from Evil Twin Brewing is an outstanding imperial stout.

I really like their Jesus and break line, but damn is their BA stuff expensive. $50 for double barrel Jesus? Get out of here.

lewdog 04-28-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13533970)
Man, we were a competitive benefits package away from being neighbors, just couldn't get it negotiated. I'm still getting the available PHX real estate emails, but we're locked into Chicago for at least another 5 years now. I'll be down every February and March though. If you ever feel like driving a few hours, that duty free shop in Lukeville at the border has some good prices on bourbon...and cologne.

Welp, I’m bummed. Wife and I were just talking about how nice it will be when you guys move here.

Gonna drink my sorrows this afternoon.

Easy 6 04-28-2018 04:22 PM

Had some girl friday night talk my freaking ear off about 'Spotted Cow' and how its the best kept secret since the JFK assassination... and she may be right, just googling the name instantly brings up 'where to buy'

I guess its really something coming out of Wisconsin there, dontcha know... would love to try some

Marcellus 04-28-2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13537754)
Had some girl friday night talk my freaking ear off about 'Spotted Cow' and how its the best kept secret since the JFK assassination... and she may be right, just googling the name instantly brings up 'where to buy'

I guess its really something coming out of Wisconsin there, dontcha know... would love to try some

Its a good beer but overrated IMO.

Marcellus 04-28-2018 04:35 PM

http://www.duvel.com/sites/default/f...7special_3.png

This is really good shit. Its a little boozy but still very drinkable at 9.5%.

Easy 6 04-28-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13537785)

9.5% holy crap man, just go get yourself some Keystone Ice and save some money :)

GloucesterChief 04-28-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13537789)
9.5% holy crap man, just go get yourself some Keystone Ice and save some money :)

I have had beers that are more than that. Dragon's Milk and Pilgrim's Dole.

Marcellus 04-28-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13537792)

I have probably 6 or 7 in my fridge right now over 10%.

Marcellus 04-28-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13537789)

:Lin:

Easy 6 04-28-2018 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13537792)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13537804)

To each their own, my broheims :D

But any beer that strong isnt for me, if I want anything stouter than 5% or so... I'll get some actual booze

lewdog 04-28-2018 05:54 PM

Our Saturday's now consist of trying to get the baby to sleep so mom and dad can watch a good show and drink a few different libations. Oh how far we've fallen.

https://i.imgur.com/ckeoGH2.jpg

Very light hint of Watermelon on the Phoenix Ale Brewery beer. Good summer beer.

https://i.imgur.com/WdxLJ1m.jpg

One of my favorite beers. Rubaeus from Founders. Absolutely delicious. Place down the road had this on Nitro for a while and it was out of this world. Glad I can easily find this can at the local grocery store now.

MTG#10 04-30-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13537785)

That's the only Duvel I like. Im just not big on Belgians, waaaaaaay too much carbonation...at least 90% of the ones Ive tried

OnTheWarpath15 04-30-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Only 5 for me at the moment:

2016 BCS
Even More Jesus
Rye on Rye
The Abyss
Growler of MILF

Arkham's Finest (only 8%)

Bearcat 04-30-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 13540881)

2016 BCS
Even More Jesus
Rye on Rye
The Abyss
Growler of MILF

I had a 2016 BCS a week or two ago... usually can't wait so long, but damn it was smooth. :drool:

Wasn't sure if I had any beer under 10%, but I have a Southern Tier Warlock that's 8.6%. LMAO

Shag 04-30-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

I've got a case or two of Bruery bottles that are 18-22%. Why they package those in 750s, I'll never understand...

Marcellus 04-30-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 13540881)

2016 BCS
Even More Jesus
Rye on Rye
The Abyss
Growler of MILF

I have 3 separate years of BCS, 1 bottle KBS, 3 regular MILF of varying years, 2 bottles of Scotch Barrel MILF (just got those recently) and a few random various bottles of old ale.

Now the real kicker is I have about 12gal of Imperial Stout aging in an Irish whiskey barrel from Restless Spirits in North KC about ready to bottle.

Technically thats about 120 beers in the 10%+ range. :D

Marcellus 04-30-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13540909)
I've got a case or two of Bruery bottles that are 18-22%. Why they package those in 750s, I'll never understand...

I know what you mean, you need a few people over to hit stuff like that.

Thats perfect for an 11oz (330ml) bottle instead.

lewdog 04-30-2018 08:18 PM

The Smirnoff red, white and berry was excellent by the way assholes!

KCUnited 05-01-2018 06:26 AM

Have to shoot KC some beer love as I was back last weekend for a birthday party and was able to stop by a number of new-to-me breweries. I finally got to stop by BKS, which has a killer space. They had a line waiting before open for some to-go releases, so the hype is real. I brought a couple BKS beers back home with me that I'm excited to take to a bottle share tomorrow night. The couple beers I had on tap were very good.

I may have been more impressed with the Crossroads overall though. Man, that area has really blown up into a hub for beer, food, and live music. There has to be 7-8 brewery/taprooms within walking distance of each other along that 18th street corridor now. KC is developing into a legit beer destination.

Strongside 05-01-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 13541246)
Have to shoot KC some beer love as I was back last weekend for a birthday party and was able to stop by a number of new-to-me breweries. I finally got to stop by BKS, which has a killer space. They had a line waiting before open for some to-go releases, so the hype is real. I brought a couple BKS beers back home with me that I'm excited to take to a bottle share tomorrow night. The couple beers I had on tap were very good.

I may have been more impressed with the Crossroads overall though. Man, that area has really blown up into a hub for beer, food, and live music. There has to be 7-8 brewery/taprooms within walking distance of each other along that 18th street corridor now. KC is developing into a legit beer destination.

Great post. The city did a great job of removing a lot of the red tape required to open a micro. Crossroads has blown up because of this, and is really turning into a legit beer destination for fans of the craft scene. If anyone's not been yet, I highly recommend trying Casual Animal Brewing in the Crossroads. They're new, but they have an insane lineup of solid brews for such a young brewery. Their Triple-Double IPA is phenomenal, and they've got a dark Saison that I also love. They've got one of those badass canning machines, so you can take home a liter can of anything you like right from the tap.

TimBone 05-01-2018 09:57 AM

Is Magic Magic from Torn Label really good?

phisherman 05-01-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 13541511)
Is Magic Magic from Torn Label really good?

Oh, yes. Very tasty.

KCUnited 05-01-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13541506)
Great post. The city did a great job of removing a lot of the red tape required to open a micro. Crossroads has blown up because of this, and is really turning into a legit beer destination for fans of the craft scene. If anyone's not been yet, I highly recommend trying Casual Animal Brewing in the Crossroads. They're new, but they have an insane lineup of solid brews for such a young brewery. Their Triple-Double IPA is phenomenal, and they've got a dark Saison that I also love. They've got one of those badass canning machines, so you can take home a liter can of anything you like right from the tap.

I stopped into Casual Animal and Border, both were cool spots. For young breweries both seem to have a lot of potential. While other cities may making more popular beers...right now...the sheer volume of breweries in the Crossroads, along with taprooms, distilleries and live music make it easy to find something you like. My buddy who I was visiting owns a recording studio on Grand next to the Cigar Box so I spent the entire weekend down there and was really impressed with what the area is becoming. The Green Lady is tits too.

scho63 05-01-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13540965)
The Smirnoff red, white and berry was excellent by the way assholes!

:eek::eek::eek:

You drinking variety is very strange.....:hmmm:

Strongside 05-01-2018 11:12 AM

I recently visited Iceland. Was pretty impressed with the quality of the beer, particularly for a country that only recently ended its prohibition on beer.

Album below. Included: Einstock, Arctic Pale Ale. Surtur 8.2 dark ale (14.2% alcohol!). Borg Brugghus Ulfur IPA. And Fuller's Imperial IPA (this one is brewed in the Thames, but I'd never had it.)

The views in iceland help with the taste of the beer, obviously. Should also note that the beer in Iceland is incredibly expensive. Each bottle or draft averages about $10USD, so stocking up in the duty-free airport store when you arrive is a must.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/n77E8Es"><a href="//imgur.com/n77E8Es"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TimBone 05-01-2018 01:03 PM

Borders must have stepped their game up. When I was there in 2016, I didn't care for any of their beers.

TimBone 05-01-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 13541523)
Oh, yes. Very tasty.

I figured. Torn Label is constantly doing good things. Any cans left of it up there?

KCUnited 05-01-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 13541842)
Borders must have stepped their game up. When I was there in 2016, I didn't care for any of their beers.

Honestly, I wasn't blown away by any of their beers, but could see their potential if they dropped the Blondes, Ambers, and Browns off the menu and stopped fruiting their IPAs :D

phisherman 05-01-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 13541847)
I figured. Torn Label is constantly doing good things. Any cans left of it up there?

I've still seen a little bit around. They brewed a lot this year.

TimBone 05-01-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 13542068)
I've still seen a little bit around. They brewed a lot this year.

Maaaaaan.....would you be interested in another trade? I've been trying to stay strong on a beer break, but I missed out on Magic Magic last year, and would like to try it.

I'd have to see exactly what Parish and Great Raft have going on right now, but let me know if you're interested.