ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   WR thoughts (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115808)

chagrin 05-05-2005 10:42 AM

WR thoughts

Good day,

Rookie here who doesn't live in the KC area. Looks like you all have your fingers on the pulse of the CHIEFS so I wanted to subimt an opinion and ask you yours, if that's ok:

To go back to a few years ago when the CHIEFS let Derrick Alexander go...I lived in Ann Arbor, Mi. at the time and watched the Lions enough to know Johnnie Morton. He was a decent, solid receiver who could strecth the field enough to grab those tough and much needed clutch bombs and mid field passes. From what I saw of DA, he provded the exact same service and the CHIEFS didn't move forward, but even backwards a bit with JM. Why did they let him go? Was he pissin people off over there?

Mark Boerigter - "The great white hope", a big tall dude who can catch the ball but doesn't seem to get much atention. Since the CHIEFS can't seem to get anywhere with the WR's, and haven't for some time now, why not give him more plays?

It may not be a strong topic but I am very curious about him.
thanks!

Rain Man 05-05-2005 10:47 AM

Short answers:

1. Derrick Alexander got on everyone's bad side by having a string of minor injuries that kept him off the field more than anyone expected or thought reasonable.

2. Johnny Morton was seen by many to be an 'eh' signing. Obviously not a #1 receiver, but serviceable. He's been a bit of a disappointment.

3. Boerigter was viewed quite highly, but was on crutches all last year, and didn't have a good year the year before. His star is falling fast unless he can come back strong this year.

cookster50 05-05-2005 10:48 AM

DA was at the end of his career. Bo was hurt last year, I'm sure they'll see what he can do this year.

Mr. Laz 05-05-2005 10:53 AM

Derrick Alexander was lazy

Braincase 05-05-2005 11:00 AM

The answer is Chris Horn. :p

Phobia 05-05-2005 11:12 AM

I have no idea WTF Morton's problem is. I do know he has a very inflated opinion of himself. He doesn't seem to have the passion for the game that he displayed in Detroit.

DA was one of those ultra talented players who got by on talent alone. As he got older, he could no longer rely on his natural gift but he didn't want to put in the hours to remain a talent. He always had a hamstring injury at training camp that miraculously cleared up by opening day.

chagrin 05-05-2005 11:14 AM

I remember that "play action offense" Gunther Coached and he did so well with it. I remember the first game that year he caught that nice long bomb and scored. Didn't Elvis throw for 4k that year and we still ended up 8-8?

Katie 05-05-2005 11:22 AM

Morton developed a serious case of drop-the-ballitis which in turn doomed him in the eyes of disgruntled chief fans.

chagrin 05-05-2005 11:24 AM

Morton hasn't looked good at all in KC, and I still hate it when he does "the worm"

TRR 05-05-2005 11:36 AM

Johnnie Morton faked an injury last TC when he was in direct competition with Marc Boerigter for the starting spot. Morton magically got better when Boe went down for the season.

Morton pretty much quit on the team at the end of last season. What does he do to rectify the problem this offseason? Skips the first set of workouts with the team.

If there is one person I hate on KC, it's Johnnie Morton.

bricks 05-05-2005 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
Johnnie Morton faked an injury last TC when he was in direct competition with Marc Boerigter for the starting spot. Morton magically got better when Boe went down for the season.

Morton pretty much quit on the team at the end of last season. What does he do to rectify the problem this offseason? Skips the first set of workouts with the team.

If there is one person I hate on KC, it's Johnnie Morton.

I agree. That a**hole should be gone. I'm happy with Bo, Kennison, Parker, Crap, Horn, and Hill as our 6 Wr's. Morton should get a bus ticket June 1st.

el borracho 05-05-2005 11:54 AM

not much to do with the original topic, but does anybody think Jeris McIntyre makes the roster this year?

Mike in SW-MO 05-05-2005 12:06 PM

Morton revealed a revolting habit in critical moments.

He would get wide open at a critical juncture. With the ball delivered directly between the numbers, on time, and in the hands, he'd put it right on the turf. The old catch the ball BEFORE you run thing.

Boerigter had a bad year draopping the ball 2 years ago. Even the balls he did catch were all cradled or bobbled. He never had a clean catch all year long. Turned out in the off-season that he had had a vision shift and required corrective lenses. Looked lots better in the preseason last year then got hurt. Where he'll be this year is anybody's guess.

kc rush 05-05-2005 12:12 PM

I seem to remember DA getting a lot of his yards in "garbage time". I think his stats were better than his overall performance. He was never consistent.

I think DA lives around here still. I've seen him at the Best Buy around 119th and Metcalf a couple of times in the past few years.

Warrior5 05-05-2005 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks
I agree. That a**hole should be gone. I'm happy with Bo, Kennison, Parker, Crap, Horn, and Hill as our 6 Wr's. Morton should get a bus ticket June 1st.

Talent-wise, I'm not sure Chris Horn will make the roster. I hope he does; he's fast and has an outstanding attitude...my offensive underdog at this point.