ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life P90X - Does it Work? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269402)

lcarus 01-28-2013 11:52 AM

Heres a question. What do you do to train yourself to do pullups? I can do two and im exhausted lol. I used to be able to do a ton. I think losing core weight will help some

NewChief 01-28-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9358313)
Heres a question. What do you do to train yourself to do pullups? I can do two and im exhausted lol. I used to be able to do a ton. I think losing core weight will help some

If your'e really interested in doing a ton of pullups, here's a program:

http://physicalliving.com/tag/increase-pull-ups/

Body weight definitely plays a part, though.

ChiTown 01-28-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9358308)
I take it the P90x thing will be sufficient; in that any treadmill work would not be necessary at all, correct?

...I'm sure the program will beat my ass like a mule anyway lol

Anything you can do to improve your cardio is a plus. If possible, I would suggest swimming. Head to the Y, and that's something you and your wife can do together.

Dayze 01-28-2013 11:56 AM

man, I remember when I was a competitive gymnast, our 'strength conditioning' was after practice; shit like 3 sets of 25 overhand pushups, 3 sets underhand, 3 sets of 25+ of dips on the P-bars, 3 sets of regular pushups; 3 sets of the triangle pushups; mountain climbers on a big 3" foam pad; 3 sets of 1 minute L holds......6 days a week fo 30 minutes after a 3-4 hour practice..

I'd die now if I even attempted that.
our coach wanted us to be strong with our body weight, and not so much 'ripped'. though I was lol. lol. my shoulders are still very broad; and my lats are still large. being 16 with a gymnast body ruled lol

Omaha 01-28-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

The best way to train yourself to do more pullups is doing a bunch of pullups. Do as many as you can (if it's 2, that's fine) and then do some more by jumping off the ground to get up and then lowering yourself slowly. You can also do some assisted pullups with a resistance band.

Omaha 01-28-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9358308)
I take it the P90x thing will be sufficient; in that any treadmill work would not be necessary at all, correct?

...I'm sure the program will beat my ass like a mule anyway lol

Yeah. That should be sufficient. As you go through the program, you'll figure out what works for you. Don't be afraid to tweak things. Just remember, you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Ideally, you'll have more energy once you get going with the program and you'll want to start adding other physical activities to your daily routine. Again, figure out what you enjoy and what works for you.

the Talking Can 01-28-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/09/16/...-do-a-pull-up/

Bearcat 01-28-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toadkiller (Post 9357976)
Loved it, but seriously screw that yoga. I dreaded that day, that shit sucks.

I always start it thinking I'll do the whole thing, but get incredibly bored within 10 minutes and skip to the balance stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9358224)
I could not agree more with this. I don't want to knock the P90X or anything else that works for someone but I have always just viewed these as a gimmick that people never stay with and therefore any results are temporary.

Not that I am in the shape or health I was in at one point I still argue that exercise and proper nutirition are just a way of life you have to adapt too or otherwise you won't stick with it.

This is why I have never followed some fancy diet or exercise program. I don't want to do anything that makes me feel like I "have" to do it. I want to do it because I "want" to do it. these typses of programs seem to produce a lot of people who burn themselves out fast and never stick with anything.

The marketing is gimmicky, and of course plays into people's desire to want results right now, but beyond that, I think it's all you need in a workout/nutrition plan. I didn't stick with it the first time I tried it, because I was caught up in doing 6 days/week, finishing each workout, completing it in 90 days.... and granted, I did have a goal of getting back to playing hockey, I just don't have the passion for it. I enjoy it more now that I'm simply trying to workout a few times a week, and I've started to form the habit of thinking "it's time to workout" and simply doing it, as opposed to fighting with myself each day.

In the end though, it's all about doing what you want to do... I'll skip certain things in those videos, not do some of them, modify some... make it enjoyable.

stevenidol 01-28-2013 12:26 PM

I did the ab ripper x the first time and almost went to the hospital the next day because I though I tore something. Turns out I was just really out of shape. P90X is an awesome workout.

The hardest part of any new workout plan is just getting started and getting past the first week. Good luck with whatever method you choose.

Dayze 01-28-2013 12:43 PM

I think I'm just going to go for it. If my wife wants to participate, fine. if she wants to do her own thing, that's fine too. Hopefully if I'm seeing results, it will be motivation for her to do it as well.

my biggest challenge will be learning how to eat right etc.

I'm going to hit the treadmill this week to sort of dust off the cobwebs.
and or, take the dogs for a walk.

Omaha 01-28-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9358479)
I think I'm just going to go for it. If my wife wants to participate, fine. if she wants to do her own thing, that's fine too. Hopefully if I'm seeing results, it will be motivation for her to do it as well.

My wife and I did it together. We had very different goals, but we did the workouts together and loved it. It was something we could do together & talk about a lot. We helped each other stay on track & not get lazy & skip workouts.

She went on to run a marathon and now we've both been doing crossfit.

loochy 01-28-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenidol (Post 9358452)
I did the ab ripper x the first time and almost went to the hospital the next day because I though I tore something. Turns out I was just really out of shape. P90X is an awesome workout.

The hardest part of any new workout plan is just getting started and getting past the first week. Good luck with whatever method you choose.

dude you rippered your x ab

loochy 01-28-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9358512)
My wife and I did it together. We had very different goals, but we did the workouts together and loved it. It was something we could do together & talk about a lot. We helped each other stay on track & not get lazy & skip workouts.

She went on to run a marathon and now we've both been doing crossfit and looking down on slightly chubby girls.

FYP

Omaha 01-28-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9358479)

The nutrition plan will be a LOT easier if you're both on board. It takes a little bit of planning to make sure you have the right things in your house when it's time to cook.

Omaha 01-28-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9358515)
FYP

Nah. She doesn't look down on fat chicks and I try to not look at them at all.