ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy Reid with Peter King (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268926)

tomahawk kid 01-15-2013 03:36 PM

I'm hopeful this means we may actually spend some $$$ in Free Agency.

chefsos 01-15-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Not long before the end of the season, I wanted to ask Andy Reid whether he'd be interested in writing something around the time of the Super Bowl for Sports Illustrated.
"I know you don't write, I know this; but I'm gonna get you writin' today, 'cause it's Friday; you ain't got no job... and you ain't got shit to do..."

whoman69 01-15-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid (Post 9321415)

IMO most FAs are over-rated. They have given their best ball already to get to that point. You used FA's to fill holes and bring in that last piece of the puzzle.

bevischief 01-15-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

They have no choice there is a salary cap floor this year.

bowener 01-15-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9321216)
I think it's interesting that Reid thinks it'll take two to three drafts before this team has a chance to be good.

http://kennethauthor.files.wordpress...pectations.jpg

Saccopoo 01-15-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9321287)
I just think that it SUCKS to still need 3 drafts or so...damn - we've been saying that for the better part of a DECADE. :facepalm:

I think it's mostly on the defensive side of the ball, where Herm/Carl and Pioli spent most of their top draft picks.

The offensive line is young, but talented. A line needs to build continuity. Hudson's return and an off-season with a real coach is going to help these guys tremendously. Asamoah should break out. Allen and Stephenson got their feet wet guarding reeruns. There is depth at the WR position. Charles is as good as it gets.

Unfortunately, the entire defensive line, where all those #1's were spent, is the big question mark. Linebackers are solid with DJ being very good, as it Hali and Houston. Flowers is a stud. Berry is an excellent run defender, but needs to make a big jump in pass protection. No depth at S or CB with Brown looking like a special teams ace at best and Lewis perpetually injured.

If they make the right picks, I think they could get starters at the key positions (QB, CB, FS, ILB, DE) in the first four rounds of this next draft (assuming a third comp for Carr).

1. Geno Smith at QB
2. David Amerson, Xavier Rhodes or Jon Banks at CB
3. Phillip Thomas at Safety
3. Jon Bostic at MLB
4. Joe Kruger at DE

DaWolf 01-15-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Based on the Packer's model, no. We won't be spending any money in free agency, outside of the selective pickup here or there...

Tribal Warfare 01-15-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9321200)
three drafts

give or take 21 players total, aka almost an entire overhaul of potential talent, essentially a 3 year vision/rebuild

So he's almost admitting Scooter left him garbage besides the players that were here before Scooter, who Scooter wasted four years of their primes. Andy will right that ship thank goodness.

Yep, 3 years is the average NFL career so essentially he's saying we have nothing but shit at many positions.

Chris Meck 01-15-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9321278)
That is absolutely untrue.

Most teams do not turnover 33% of their roster each season. Only bad teams with new regimes usually have such significant numbers.

Well, yeah, I mean we were 2-14. 22 guys off the street, right?

I think, however, that in three decent drafts you're really talking about 5 or 6 starters and maybe twice that many depth players. Which I'd say's about right, wouldn't you?

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9321528)
Well, yeah, I mean we were 2-14. 22 guys off the street, right?

I think, however, that in three decent drafts you're really talking about 5 or 6 starters and maybe twice that many depth players. Which I'd say's about right, wouldn't you?

I don't think that good teams go into the season looking to replace 17 players.

Sure, you might lose a couple to free agency and maybe you've drafted 4-5 guys that are immediately ready for the 53 man roster.

But 17? 1/3 of your roster?

That's quite a bit of turnover for a "good" team.

RealSNR 01-15-2013 04:46 PM

Is Cullen Jenkins a free agent again?

God I hope we could convince him to come to Kansas City. We need to find a LEGITIMATE starter on the defensive line for the first ****ing time since the 90s. Jenkins played for Reid and was a HUGE part of the Packers' success in their Super Bowl run a few years ago. He would go so far to improving our defensive line.

EDIT: "Jenkins agreed to a five-year deal with the Eagles last July, but reportedly was to be paid over $7 million in 2012, including the $5 million roster bonus due next month. So his future with the team wasn't guaranteed unless the sides could agree to rework his contract."

DaneMcCloud 01-15-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9321669)
Is Cullen Jenkins a free agent again?

God I hope we could convince him to come to Kansas City. We need to find a LEGITIMATE starter on the defensive line for the first ****ing time since the 90s. Jenkins played for Reid and was a HUGE part of the Packers' success in their Super Bowl run a few years ago. He would go so far to improving our defensive line.

EDIT: "Jenkins agreed to a five-year deal with the Eagles last July, but reportedly was to be paid over $7 million in 2012, including the $5 million roster bonus due next month. So his future with the team wasn't guaranteed unless the sides could agree to rework his contract."

$1.5 million guaranteed in 2013 along with a $1 million dollar roster bonus due in March.

DaWolf 01-15-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9321527)
Yep, 3 years is the average NFL career so essentially he's saying we have nothing but shit at many positions.

Combine that with bad coaching and you get 2-14...

HemiEd 01-15-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9321216)
I think it's interesting that Reid thinks it'll take two to three drafts before this team has a chance to be good.

He is not stupid, he is not going to say one draft and we are there, geez.

He has to give himself room when he can, or he would be raising expectations to a point like they were this year for the team.

If it gets done in one year, great, he is the hero.

Mother****erJones 01-15-2013 04:58 PM

There will be roster turnover. We were 2-14. We have some good players like Charles, Bowe, Albert, Winston, Hali, Houston, DJ, Flowers, Berry, etc. but overall depth is awful. There will be turnover especially because Pioli was a shit talent evaluator.