ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 1, Heat 3. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255041)

Rain Man 01-13-2012 09:25 PM

Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 1, Heat 3.

Got some good ones here. Vote for three.

Bump 01-13-2012 09:27 PM

I always liked Coach

007 01-13-2012 09:27 PM

Taxi and DVD.

Rain Man 01-13-2012 09:32 PM

For me, the list goes like this:

#1. Three words, eight or nine syllables. Reverend Jim Ignatowski. You could put him on The Evening News with Brian Williams and it would be one of the funniest comedies ever. Taxi in the top slot.

#2. The Dick Van Dyke Show. I haven't seen a whole lot of these, but I recall it being well written and funny, and how can you not like Rob and his hot, cute wife Laura?

#3. Everybody Hates Chris. The title would indicate that it's incredibly lame and unimaginative, but it's actually a pretty entertaining show. Try it, you'll probably like it.

Didn't make the cut.

I Love Lucy. For its time, it was probably pretty cutting edge, but it never really spoke to me. The scenarios were a little unbelievable at times, and it centered too much on Lucy and not enough on the other characters. I prefer ensembles. But I recognize that it was great in its day.

Coach. I suspect that I might like this show, but I think I only saw one episode. For some reason I was never home and unoccupied when it was on. It's an unknown quantity.

mlyonsd 01-13-2012 09:32 PM

One thing about the older shows like Lucy and DVD. Their writing had to be funny without todays loosened censorship rules. I can't imagine a young Mary Tyler Moore using Two and a Half Men type scripts.

Predarat 01-13-2012 09:35 PM

Coach and Taxi for sure for me, not sure about the 3rd.

Simply Red 01-13-2012 09:38 PM

I cannot in good conscience vote for any of these.

Chiefnj2 01-13-2012 09:40 PM

Taxi has some of the most memorable sitcom scenes such as Jim taking the driver's ed test.

I can't believe I Love Lucy isn't getting much love.

Setsuna 01-13-2012 09:41 PM

Rain Man is on a rampage because he no longer is the Archery champion....how does it feel to get dethroned brosef?

Pitt Gorilla 01-13-2012 09:43 PM

Where can one find the entire list? I'd love to see if Community or WKRP are representing.

Rain Man 01-13-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 8292867)
One thing about the older shows like Lucy and DVD. Their writing had to be funny without todays loosened censorship rules. I can't imagine a young Mary Tyler Moore using Two and a Half Men type scripts.

That's a really good point. I think about a show like The Office, which I love, and a lot of its humor comes from awkward or uncomfortable statements that wouldn't have flown back then. DVD and Lucy had less fertile ground to plow.

Rain Man 01-13-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8292896)
Where can one find the entire list? I'd love to see if Community or WKRP are representing.

It's in the thread opener here:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255021

Rain Man 01-13-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8292894)
Rain Man is on a rampage because he no longer is the Archery champion....how does it feel to get dethroned brosef?

My record will never be broken, only tied. You are a mere imitator.

Pioli Zombie 01-13-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8292887)
Taxi has some of the most memorable sitcom scenes such as Jim taking the driver's ed test.

Best Taxi scene ever was when Jim watched Louies apartment and scene switches to Louie walking in and the place is totally gutted by fire.

Rain Man 01-13-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8292887)

"What does a yellow light mean?"

"Slow down."

"Okay. What ... does ... a ... yellow ... light ... mean?"

"Slow down!"

"Whaaaaaat......dooooooes.....aaaaaaaa...."