ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Gardeners, what are you planting this year? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271870)

KurtCobain 04-08-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9567970)
Asking for it mods..................

How the **** is he "asking" for it.

tooge 04-08-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9568019)
I'm going to finish adding some berry bushes. I've got about another 3 blackberry to plant, and I might have to replace 1-2 blueberry bushes from last year. I'll be adding another 2 cherry bushes, as well.

After that, it's going to be a full slate of herbs, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant and the like. I keep going back and forth on grapes, so I'm still not sure if I'll add them this year.

It takes a good 3-4 years on the grapes to start getting some decent crop. If you are thinking about it, I'd get started sooner rather than later.

threebag 04-08-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something cooler (Post 9568051)
How the **** is he "asking" for it.

Must have been sign language.

Just Passin' By 04-08-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9568058)
It takes a good 3-4 years on the grapes to start getting some decent crop. If you are thinking about it, I'd get started sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice. The back and forth is because of space limitations. I'm just not sure if we've really got the space for doing grapes on the scale we were thinking. I think I'll talk to my brother about using part of his place for the grapes. He's got land that he'll probably never use.

Groves 04-08-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

2 cherry bushes, as well..

Tell us more bout these.

I planted 60 black raspberry plants last week. Hope I like em.

Simply Red 04-08-2013 08:59 PM

Apricots

ghak99 04-08-2013 09:07 PM

Sweet corn, green peppers, banana peppers, tomatoes, grape tomatoes, radishes, beans, and some leaf lettuce and onions is always more work than I'll want.

I'm hoping the 2 year old blackberry patch produces this year, the heat and drought really held it back last summer.

I've wanted to add some Cherry trees to the already established apple, pear, plumb, & persimmons but I need to wipe out an old strawberry bed to make the mowing easier and I highly doubt I get around to it this spring.

I cuss the work every summer, but it's rewarding and somewhat of a stress reliever.

MOhillbilly 04-08-2013 09:32 PM

Half mile of red and white potatoes yesterday. A couple strawberry plants, carrots, spring greens, few rows of garlic ( last fall), herbs, and some other shit. ****in plowed a good chunk for this year already. Split time last week between live stock and garden and that's tough when you have hundreds of animals. 3000 sq ft green house we put in is gonna be a hoot.

MOhillbilly 04-08-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9567733)
Couple of years ago I had a jalapeno plant in a pot next to a Thai chilli pepper plant in a pot. They cross polinated each other and I got red jalapenos. Interesting to say the least.

Lol

ghak99 04-08-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 9570061)
Half mile of red and white potatoes yesterday. A couple strawberry plants, carrots, spring greens, few rows of garlic ( last fall), herbs, and some other shit. ****in plowed a good chunk for this year already. Split time last week between live stock and garden and that's tough when you have hundreds of animals. 3000 sq ft green house we put in is gonna be a hoot.

That's not a garden... That's a slave labor camp!

Buehler445 04-08-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 9570061)

I've always thought a greenhouse would own shit, but I can't think of an economical way to make it withstand the wind.

ghak99 04-08-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9570295)
I've always thought a greenhouse would own shit, but I can't think of an economical way to make it withstand the wind.

I have a family member with several in Oklahoma and they can't either. You should see the pics they text every few months when a storm blows the shit into the fan. Once the plastic goes it throws their special little herbs and seasonal flowers all over the place. ROFL

A couple years ago a wealthy farmer in South Dakota set his 17 year old daughter up with one of the first large scale pole barn type of greenhouses I'd seen. The clear plastic panels looked exactly like the skylights on our Morton buildings, but thicker and obviously clearer. The university of Missouri used the same style of building, but much smaller, to do some research in too. I'd hate to see the initial investment cost though.

Willie Lanier 04-09-2013 01:49 AM

Not technically gardening more landscaping but I'm putting in some ornamental pear trees and a locust, they always look good and don't have terribly invasive root systems

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-09-2013 02:09 AM

I planted 8, 4x4 posts in concrete yesterday two foot deep. They're already 8 feet tall.

Boiled Chicken 04-09-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

I'm going to finish adding some berry bushes. I've got about another 3 blackberry to plant, and I might have to replace 1-2 blueberry bushes from last year. I'll be adding another 2 cherry bushes, as well.

After that, it's going to be a full slate of herbs, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant and the like. I keep going back and forth on grapes, so I'm still not sure if I'll add them this year.

Just curious, but how do you keep the squirrels out of all of your berry bushes? I've tried spray, chicken wire and BB gun (and they destroy my tomatoes also).