ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Bannister Mall: the new home of the Wizards. Watch KC screw this up. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=176060)

Pitt Gorilla 12-06-2007 02:18 PM

I'm still sad that KC didn't get the Penguins. THAT would have been awesome.

:(

BigRedChief 12-06-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock
No, people drop out of soccer because there's not the promise of full-ride scholarships followed by multi-million dollar pro-sports contracts. If pro soccer paid as well as the NFL or MLB, I guarantee you people wouldn't drop out so quickly. And people aren't dropping out as quickly as they used to.

Yes but thats true about anything. If people that worked cleaning toilets got paid NFL money everyone would want to be a toilet cleaner.:)

Silock 12-06-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI
They are serious contenders now.

No way. Not even close. We're not even the highest ranked team in our region. We, like the NL Central, benefit from having weak teams all around us. It's really holding us back. Mexico was our only serious contention for the Gold Cup. For some reason, we own them lately, but they're still considered a much better team than we are.

And then we send a scrub team down to the South American championship, and make total fools out of ourselves. Granted, not all of our players could get released from their club teams to come play because it wasn't our regional championship, but still. The US is not considered a serious contender right now.

If we had to play better teams in qualifying, like they do in South America, then yeah, we'd get better. But when you have to play all these central american teams with less total population than the state of Rhode Island, you're not really proving anything.

Silock 12-06-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
Yes but thats true about anything. If people that worked cleaning toilets got paid NFL money everyone would want to be a toilet cleaner.:)

I'm just saying that it's not because they don't enjoy the sport and lose interest. There's a lot of peer pressure to drop out of a "pussy" sport and participate in a "real" one, like football.

Even a guy like Chad Johnson has said that if soccer paid as well as the NFL, he'd love to play soccer. He even warms up on NFL fields with a soccer ball sometimes.

ChiefsCountry 12-06-2007 02:29 PM

If I recall the new soccer stadiums they build now have a concert stage built in and they play high school football in it as well. Plus doesnt Cerner have one of its complexes right down the street and they own the Wizards, makes sense for them.

Valiant 12-06-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtebbe
My son was like that at first, but once he figured out he could just wait a few plays and give it back, he suddenly liked football... A LOT.

Last year was his first year, it will be interesting to see if he wants to do it when it comes time to sign up again. Hopefully I can pack a few pounds on him this offseason :)

DT

Must be easy for little billy to dish out the hits on the fifth graders when he 35 years old.. Hopefully he will crack the schoolyard allstar team this year..

:)

Silock 12-06-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry
If I recall the new soccer stadiums they build now have a concert stage built in and they play high school football in it as well. Plus doesnt Cerner have one of its complexes right down the street and they own the Wizards, makes sense for them.

On Goal owns the Wizards. I don't think they're part of Cerner, but I could be wrong.

Demonpenz 12-06-2007 04:18 PM

IT would be within walking distance of golddiggers

stanleychief 12-06-2007 05:37 PM

Oddly enough, I happened to watch the city council subcommittee meeting on local cable when they were discussing this. I think some facts here are inaccurate. First of all, 71% of the funding for the project was to be privately funded. Johnson County is even kicking in some money for this, although it was unclear how much.

The super TIF must pass, or the project will essentially be dead. No super TIF = no state funds = dead in the water. I doubt they'll present another funding option to the city if this fails. I'm sad to say it, but it seems like the city is more than happy to let this part of the city continue to decline. I'm not sure there is anything that could be placed out here that would be a success given the surrounding area. It's a real shame too because the mall sits at the intersection of three major highways, all of which are currently being renovated. Can't ask for a much better location.

Demonpenz 12-06-2007 05:41 PM

There is some sort of Dean catipillar plant being built on 87th and 87th now is two lanes to 71.

jiveturkey 12-06-2007 06:06 PM

I haven't read all of the responses but I think that they should just let that area die already. Knock everything down and plant some trees.

There's no point forcing a square peg into a round hole.

As soon as someone gets mugged in the parking lot all of the JoCo soccer moms are going to avoid the area like the plague.

JoCo needs to sack up and actually build it's own crap. It's nice being a leach community and all but you eventually need to contribute something. I would suggest The Legends area but that gets JoCo off the hook again.

And this is coming from one of the a-holes in JoCo.

Deberg_1990 12-06-2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey
I haven't read all of the responses but I think that they should just let that area die already. Knock everything down and plant some trees.

There's no point forcing a square peg into a round hole.

As soon as someone gets mugged in the parking lot all of the JoCo soccer moms are going to avoid the area like the plague.

I dont live in the KC area, but im familiar with it since i grew up there.

Ive seen projects like this, or similiar projects revitalize parts of other cities, why wouldnt it work in KC?

Shouldnt they at least try???

jiveturkey 12-06-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
I dont live in the KC area, but im familiar with it since i grew up there.

Ive seen projects like this, or similiar projects revitalize parts of other cities, why wouldnt it work in KC?

Shouldnt they at least try???

They did and it failed.

It's a wasteland. If Walmart can't survive a soccer stadium sure as shit won't.

Deberg_1990 12-06-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey
They did and it failed.

It's a wasteland. If Walmart can't survive a soccer stadium sure as shit won't.

IM sorry, but Wal-Mart doesnt usually attract the upscale crowd.

jiveturkey 12-06-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
IM sorry, but Wal-Mart doesnt usually attract the upscale crowd.

The upscale crowd won't want anything to do with this part of town.