ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Heat fan sues Spurs for game in which they sent Starters home (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268958)

Deberg_1990 01-16-2013 08:29 AM

Heat fan sues Spurs for game in which they sent Starters home

heh...Does he have a case? Discuss....

Would you be upset if the Broncos came to town and sat a healthy Manning, Decker and Knowmo ?

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...urs-game-rest/

A former Miami Heat season-ticket holder has sued the Spurs for sending four players home, including Tim Duncan, before their Nov. 29 game at Miami.

Miami-based attorney Larry McGuinness filed a class-action suit in Miami-Dade County on Monday, accusing Spurs coach Gregg Popovich of inflicting “economic damages” on fans who paid premium prices for the game.

McGuinness said he did not know the Spurs had flown Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green back to San Antonio until he was on his way to AmericanAirlines Arena.

He said he would have stayed home and watched the game on television had the Spurs provided notice.

“It was like going to a restaurant and ordering the most expensive item on the menu — lobster — and you get a horrible chicken fried steak,” said McGuinness, who has seats in the lower bowl. “No offense to chicken fried steak.”

NBA teams sell tickets under variable pricing, with higher-profile opponents costing more. The suit is asking for the differential between premium and lower-tier tickets. Should it succeed, McGuinness said he will donate his portion to Superstorm Sandy relief.

The Spurs had previously drawn the wrath of NBA commissioner David Stern for their decision to send four of their main rotation players home early.

Stern fired off a tersely-worded statement before tip-off promising “substantial sanctions.” That turned out to be a $250,000 fine, one of the largest in league history. He accused the Spurs in an additional statement of doing “a disservice to the league and our fans.”

The Spurs pushed the defending champion Heat to the final minute before losing 105-100. McGuinness attributed the game’s competitiveness to the Heat underestimating their weakened opponent.

“I thought somebody would have done something already,” he said. “But when nobody did, while I thought Commissioner Stern’s fine was appropriate, and was a good shot across the bow, I wanted to make sure the Spurs and any other team who does this knows that fans can get ticked off too.”

Stern was traveling Tuesday and unavailable for comment. Spurs spokesman Tom James declined to comment

blaise 01-16-2013 08:31 AM

Good luck.

AndysMansiere 01-16-2013 08:33 AM

nba ticket prices are out of control...i don't blame the guy...especially since some teams charge more for tickets against marquee opponents.

blaise 01-16-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndysMansiere (Post 9323620)
nba ticket prices are out of control...i don't blame the guy...especially since some teams charge more for tickets against marquee opponents.

almost all teams do that. Or they charge less for crummy teams, if you want to look at it that way.

Ceej 01-16-2013 08:38 AM

Only in America....

Phobia 01-16-2013 08:53 AM

I have never given a nickel to the NBA. Not even to buy a cap. You might say I'm NBA-free.

loochy 01-16-2013 10:05 AM

No. He should get nothing. In fact, he should actually be punished for supporting a team like the Heat.

DJ's left nut 01-16-2013 10:09 AM

He has no case at all. The Spurs legal counsel should bomb him with requests for sanctions and ultimately they should forward every single bill they have to pay defending this to David Stern for making a big deal out of simple coaching strategy.

The NBA has just become completely unenjoyable anymore. I know nobody will agree with me on this front, but thank God hockey is back.

KCUnited 01-16-2013 10:13 AM

These lawsuits are out of control. What ever happened to earning a penny the hardaway?

KC native 01-16-2013 10:16 AM

ROFL What an idiot.

loochy 01-16-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9323885)
These lawsuits are out of control. What ever happened to earning a penny the hardaway?

Why take the hardaway when he's always hurt? Take the easy way.

Molitoth 01-16-2013 10:22 AM

I understand he was disappointed. Look around at many other cities who have never experienced a championship. There are literally MILLIONS of disappointed fans around the country.

The days of suing because you want to get-rich-quick need to be over with.

Deberg_1990 01-16-2013 10:27 AM

This guy better not win.

Theres no way you can gurantee an expectation of quality in sports. It just wouldnt work as a business model. It can in food because if your steak sucks, you can send it back and get it redone. How could you do that in sports? Whos to say that even if Duncan, Parker and Ginoblli had played that game, they would not have sucked?

Gravedigger 01-16-2013 11:03 AM

This is called a frivolous lawsuit, there are quite a few nowadays from what I hear.

Sully 01-16-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9323604)

McGuinness said he did not know the Spurs had flown Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green back to San Antonio until he was on his way to AmericanAirlines Arena.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9323604)
“It was like going to a restaurant and ordering the most expensive item on the menu — lobster — and you get a horrible chicken fried steak,” said McGuinness, who has seats in the lower bowl. “No offense to chicken fried steak.”

It sounds like its more like he found out his restaurant didn't have lobster while driving to the restaurant, went anyway, got some really great food, and waited till he ate it all to complain.