ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   White Sox Everett sounds off on gays, fans, Wrigley. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118069)

Goapics1 06-17-2005 08:10 AM

White Sox Everett sounds off on gays, fans, Wrigley.

Report: Everett rips
gays, fans, Wrigley

White Sox DH also tees off
on Canseco in magazine

NBCSports.com news services

Updated: 9:20 a.m. ET June 16, 2005

Chicago White Sox designated hitter Carl Everett criticized gays, fans, Wrigley Field and other targets during an interview for the July edition of Maxim magazine, the Chicago Tribune said.

About homosexuals, Everett said "Gays being gay is wrong. Two women can't produce a baby, two men can't produce a baby, so it's not how it's supposed to be. ... I don't believe in gay marriages. I don't believe in being gay."

Everett has been one of baseball's more controversial players, most notoriously known for his confrontation with umpire Ron Kulpa in 2000 while playing for the Boston Red Sox.

The White Sox DH also ripped on baseball fans, saying that "Fan is short for fanatic — he's crazy about something he really doesn't know about. And it's proven that 99 percent of baseball fans have no idea what they're watching."

Everett had plenty of other targets during the interview:

Wrigley Field, the worst ballpark: "They need to implode Wrigley."

Jose Canseco is a "bitter, ignorant individual."

The congressional steroid hearings were ludicrous: "We have a war going on — I have family in that war — yet we're talking about steroids. ... If everybody in the world got on steroids, we'll still lose more kids to a war than we will from steroids."

Saulbadguy 06-17-2005 08:12 AM

The White Sox DH also ripped on baseball fans, saying that "Fan is short for fanatic — he's crazy about something he really doesn't know about. And it's proven that 99 percent of baseball fans have no idea what they're watching."

Yeah, real nice. :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut 06-17-2005 08:14 AM

He also doesn't believe dinosaurs existed.

Quote:

Interleague play? "Don't like it," Everett responds. "They only have it because of two teams [the New York Mets and the New York Yankees]. It's all about the money." Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter? "Not a star." The Mets, one of his former teams? "All those [management] people are hypocrites and idiots." The Atlanta Braves' starting pitchers? "You can run on them all day." Big cities? "Hate 'em. I need space." American League baseball? "Boring." Dinosaurs? "Didn't exist."

Uh, come again?

"God created the sun, the stars, the heavens and the earth, and then made Adam and Eve," Everett said last Friday, before the Red Sox lost two of three in Atlanta. "The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs. You can't say there were dinosaurs when you never saw them. Someone actually saw Adam and Eve. No one ever saw a Tyrannosaurus rex."

What about dinosaur bones?

"Made by man," he says.

Everett has trouble, too, with the idea of man actually walking on the moon. After first rejecting the notion, he concedes, "Yeah, that could have happened. It's possible. That is something you could prove. You can't prove dinosaurs ever existed. I feel it's far-fetched."
That's a little crazy, but he should be committed for the Wrigley remark alone.

Hammock Parties 06-17-2005 08:16 AM

Hahaha. Dinosaur man is great. One of my favorite Texas Rangers just for the entertainment value. Plus he thinks he's Barry Bonds, check out his batting stance.

Ultra Peanut 06-17-2005 08:18 AM

He's so batshit it's hard not to enjoy it.

Quote:

A conversation with Everett can go in any direction and can bludgeon anyone who's the least bit sensitive. Even teammates take precautions, lest Everett -- as he did last week on the bench at Pro Player Stadium, home of the Florida Marlins -- launch into a 20-minute disquisition on the balk rule. "My locker is next to his," shortstop Nomar Garciaparra says, "so I try not to get into long conversations with him. I'll just say, 'Uh, gotta go, Carl.'"

"I guess I'm the brave one," righthander Bret Saberhagen says. "I sit next to him on the bus. Carl can talk to me and carry on a conversation on his cell phone at the same time. That's talent."

Hammock Parties 06-17-2005 08:20 AM

Shit, I think I've found what I want to do with my life: Carl Everett's personal assistant.

Hammock Parties 06-17-2005 08:25 AM

This is why I love MVP Baseball. I brought back Juan Gonzalez to be the DH for my Rangers franchise. As soon as he retires, I'll grab another aging ex-Ranger slugger to be DH. Maybe Carl can fill the bill. ROFL

Did Will Clark retire? :)

jspchief 06-17-2005 08:29 AM

I was actually fooled into thinking Carl had straightened his sh*t out. It had been a while since he'd done or said anything stupid.

He's crazier than a sh*thouse rat.

bobbything 06-17-2005 08:34 AM

Quote:

And it's proven that 99 percent of baseball fans have no idea what they're watching
Of the 17 people I've met that actually admit to watching baseball, I can't say that I completely disagree with him.

However...
Quote:

Jose Canseco is a "bitter, ignorant individual."
It seems as if he's caught in a "pot vs. kettle" situation.

Goapics1 06-17-2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything
Of the 17 people I've met that actually admit to watching baseball, I can't say that I completely disagree with him.

Do you live in a cave or in jail?

Dartgod 06-17-2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

The Atlanta Braves' starting pitchers? "You can run on them all day."
Quote:

...Everett said last Friday, before the Red Sox lost two of three in Atlanta.
Haha!

cadmonkey 06-17-2005 08:41 AM

I really miss him playing on the Redsox. He said some classic lines that never made it to the National papers. I can only imainge what he is saying in the Chicago papers that don't always make it national.

bobbything 06-17-2005 08:43 AM

Quote:

Do you live in a cave or in jail?
I'm a shepard.

Goapics1 06-17-2005 08:51 AM

Quote:

I'm a shepard.

ROFL

jspchief 06-17-2005 09:04 AM

Quote:

I'm a shepard.

Main Entry: Shep·ard http://m-w.com/images/audio.gif
Pronunciation: 'she-p&rd
Function: biographical name
Alan Bartlett 1923-1998 American astronaut; the first American in space (May 5, 1961)

Main Entry: Shepard
Pronunciation: 'she-p&rd
Function: biographical name
Sam 1943- originally Samuel Shepard Rogers American dramatist

The Astronaut or the dramatist?