ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Next year's back up QB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266873)

RealSNR 11-20-2012 10:41 AM

Next year's back up QB

I don't think we should draft two QBs this year. At least not two high-pick QBs.

Draft Geno Smith at #1 overall, yes. But then either consider a throwaway 6th/7th round guy or go find somebody else. Our new franchise guy is going to need as much help as he can get in his first year. If that 3rd/4th round pick can be spent on a guy like Shayne Skov at ILB or Robert Lester at S, it eliminates the need to continue trotting out garbage, or finding crap free agents like Elam or Routt.

My dream scenario is to draft Geno, keep Stanzi, and sign Bruce Gradkowski in free agency. There needs to be SOME kind of veteran on that squad- it can't be all 100% developmental guys.

Smith
Gradkowski
Stanzi

That's a solid group of QBs, one that looks forward to the future. If we really need another young prospect, we should look to the draft next year.

durtyrute 11-20-2012 10:43 AM

My name is Durtyrute and I approve of this message.

*Edit* I don't really care who the vet is, just as long as we get one with some ****ing talent.

Hootie 11-20-2012 10:45 AM

we should draft BQBA in the 1st and the 3rd or 4th (like the Redskins) and go from there. Have the two young guys push each other...if the 3rd round young guy flashes (circa Cousins) then you have trade bait or a backup plan if you get Gabbert'ed by the 1st round guy.

Chief Roundup 11-20-2012 10:47 AM

I like the idea of Hasselback as the true vet that has had success as the backup.
Not trying to pick on Stanzi but geez if you can't even get a look when Cassel or Quinn are both the very definition of suck and this is his 3rd year here. Time to move on.

BossChief 11-20-2012 10:48 AM

Geno and Ricky should both be here (unless Ricky just cant make the roster) and Id like to see someone like Matt Moore, Drew Stanton or even Tavaris Jackson get a shot as the vet.

That would round out a pretty damn good QB group.

loochy 11-20-2012 10:48 AM

F the Stanzi. If he's so bad that he can't get in with the group we have now, just forget it.

DaKCMan AP 11-20-2012 10:50 AM

He's healthy and looking for work. I wouldn't be against bringing him to camp.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...id-garrard.jpg

The Poz 11-20-2012 10:51 AM

Take your pick of available QB free agents:

Luke McCown – ATL
Joe Flacco – BAL
Tarvaris Jackson – BUF
Tyler Thigpen – BUF
Derek Anderson – CAR
Jason Campbell – CHI
Josh McCown – CHI
Bruce Gradkowski – CIN
Drew Stanton – IND
Brady Quinn – KC
Pat Devlin – MIA – (Ex)
Matt Moore – MIA
Chase Daniel – NO
David Carr – NYG
Matt Leinart – OAK
Charlie Batch – PIT
Byron Leftwich – PIT
Kellen Clemens – STL
Rex Grossman – WAS

Lex Luthor 11-20-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9136244)
we should draft BQBA in the 1st and the 3rd or 4th (like the Redskins) and go from there. Have the two young guys push each other...if the 3rd round young guy flashes (circa Cousins) then you have trade bait or a backup plan if you get Gabbert'ed by the 1st round guy.

Completely agree.

It's not like it would be the first time a team drafted two quarterbacks in the same year, and what team needs it more than the Chiefs?

Some examples off the top of my head:

Cowboys: Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh
Redskins: Heath Shuler and Gus Frerrotte
Redskins: RG3 and Kirk Cousins

I'm sure there are lots of others.

BossChief 11-20-2012 10:54 AM

David Gerrard would be a nice sign n play guy, but I dont think it would be wise to invest much into him on a 2 or 3 year deal with his back issues. Once a player starts having back issues, they almost never go away. Its too bad, because I like his skill set a lot and he would be a better fit than the other guys I mentioned.

durtyrute 11-20-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9136250)
I like the idea of Hasselback as the true vet that has had success as the backup.
Not trying to pick on Stanzi but geez if you can't even get a look when Cassel or Quinn are both the very definition of suck and this is his 3rd year here. Time to move on.

Playing Stanzi now would be officially throwing in the towel and even though the whole team/world knows we are done, they are not going to admit it just yet. Now, if he doesn't play a few games by the end of the season, well then..........

http://www.rottenecards.com/ecards/R...tb4cpvn8nm.png

Rausch 11-20-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9136286)
Playing Stanzi now would be officially throwing in the towel...

You only throw in the towel when you feel there's a fighter worth saving...

Predarat 11-20-2012 10:57 AM

Hasselbeck has done a good job with Jake Locker, he is under contract for another year but the Titans have an up and coming backup in Rustyyyyy Smith. He may be had for a mid to low draft pick, or will possibly be waved in the offseason. Though the Titans do have plenty of cap space.

BossChief 11-20-2012 11:03 AM

We aren't trading a cup of coffee for a 85 year old quarterback when there are better options out there that wouldn't cost a DP.

Chief Roundup 11-20-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9136286)
Playing Stanzi now would be officially throwing in the towel and even though the whole team/world knows we are done, they are not going to admit it just yet. Now, if he doesn't play a few games by the end of the season, well then..........

http://www.rottenecards.com/ecards/R...tb4cpvn8nm.png

Well we are out of it and anyone being honest knows that. Maybe not mathematically but we now. So lets see if they even try to get Stanzi any time. I doubt it.