ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271442)

Hammock Parties 12-20-2013 06:43 PM

OH MY GOD

AMC Studio 30 is showing it in 48 FPS IMAX

FINALLY A REASON TO GO TO OLATHE

Bowser 12-20-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10297543)
OH MY GOD

AMC Studio 30 is showing it in 48 FPS IMAX

FINALLY A REASON TO GO TO OLATHE

LMAO

That, and Oklahoma Joe's.

Hammock Parties 12-20-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10297589)
LMAO

That, and Oklahoma Joe's.

Hell no, just go to the one downtown.

Gravedigger 12-23-2013 01:17 AM

Saw it tonight, I know I'm late, really really enjoyed it. My complaints are all pretty minor: there's only so many times you can see Legolas surf down an orc while killing another orc, or kill two orcs with one arrow, also I hate it when he goes from one or two sentences in elvish into one or two sentences of english and then back again. Just make the whole damn thing one or the other, you're mixing your songs up like Pitbull and its annoying. I also didn't like how they ended it, just too abrupt for something that could've taken 30 more minutes and you could've taken out 30 minutes worth of other useless dialogue, like you didnt have to do the love angle at all, you could've just had Tauriel wanting to go help the dwarves because she didn't want to be locked behind gates for eternity and that would've been just fine.

Loved Smaug, obviously. Benedict Cumberbatch is just awesome IMO and the banter between him and Bilbo and the Dwarves was pretty great too. The CG in some of the scenes was so believable and in other scenes... not so much. Oh and the part where the Dwarf bursts his hands through the barrell with weapons to fight the orcs, OMG I almost died laughing. Just a great movie all around, I'd rank it third amongst all the LOTR/Hobbit movies.

wilas101 12-23-2013 10:29 AM

This seems to be well received overall but I had issues that I'm having trouble shaking.

Spoiler!

Amnorix 12-23-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10297483)
oh my god

oh my god

i just had a religious experience

i have never seen a CGI creature realized so wonderfully

SMAUG!

Peter Jackson should be directing Star Wars, not that hack Abrams.

Pretty much. Smaug might be the coolest thing I've ever seen on the big screen, to be honest. The Balrog ruled, but he was only in the movie for like a minute and a half. What else comes close? I'm not sure anything does...

Lzen 12-24-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10283839)
Review:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Lzen 12-24-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilas101 (Post 10305860)
This seems to be well received overall but I had issues that I'm having trouble shaking.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Setsuna 12-27-2013 01:45 AM

Smaug pretty much was a CGI Deathwing from WoW. The similarities are certainly there tbh.

KevB 12-27-2013 07:20 PM

Just saw this in IMAX/3D/HFR and it was really good. The first scene when the guy comes out of the pub......damn, I had to have been standing in the street with him.

I'd echo most of what was said on the last couple of pages. The differences from the book were reasonable, although I would also have liked more Beorn. Scenes with Smaug were amazing, and the run down the river was a really fun ride. I took my teenage daughter, who wouldn't typically go to a movie like this. However, she really liked it. Well done Peter Jackson.

Anyong Bluth 12-28-2013 03:12 PM

For anyone that's seen it, there's a legit dvd screener copy now floating around the interwebs.
If you haven't seen it yet in the theater I strongly advise anyone to not spoil it and actually see it in the theater for your 1st time watching it.

Pants 12-28-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 10313432)
Just saw this in IMAX/3D/HFR and it was really good. The first scene when the guy comes out of the pub......damn, I had to have been standing in the street with him.

I'd echo most of what was said on the last couple of pages. The differences from the book were reasonable, although I would also have liked more Beorn. Scenes with Smaug were amazing, and the run down the river was a really fun ride. I took my teenage daughter, who wouldn't typically go to a movie like this. However, she really liked it. Well done Peter Jackson.

The guy that comes out of the pub is Peter Jackson, I think. :)

The Franchise 01-14-2014 02:56 PM

Sitting in the theater. ...waiting for this awesomeness to start.

Frosty 01-14-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10370020)
Sitting in the theater. ...waiting for this awesomeness to start.

Don't get shot for being on your phone

Mr. Laz 01-14-2014 03:40 PM

can't believe they ended it like that