ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271442)

loochy 10-01-2013 11:24 AM

I love me some lord of the rings

Dave Lane 10-01-2013 11:27 AM

Awesome.

The Franchise 10-01-2013 11:44 AM

Can't ****ing wait.

Frazod 10-01-2013 12:54 PM

Finally got around to watching the first one. I enjoyed it.

I still think it's shitty milking this into three movies, but what the hell. I'm certainly not going to buy anything until the full set of expanded releases come out, but I might check out the next one in the theater.

Bowser 10-01-2013 03:54 PM

Simply Red faps furiously as we speak.

And is that Cumberbatch voicing Smaug?

NewChief 10-01-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10038242)
Finally got around to watching the first one. I enjoyed it.

I still think it's shitty milking this into three movies, but what the hell. I'm certainly not going to buy anything until the full set of expanded releases come out, but I might check out the next one in the theater.

I originally disliked the making a trilogy from the single work of the Hobbit. Then I thought, "WTF? Who cares, I get to spend 6 more hours inside Middle Earth instead of just 2 more." There's also the fact that they've moved well beyond the material found in the Hobbit for the movies as well. If they'd try to just stretch the material in the Hobbit and tell it in a narrative that strictly imitates the novel into 3 movies, then I'd have been annoyed. After I saw it, though, I was cool with it.

Amnorix 10-01-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10038655)
And is that Cumberbatch voicing Smaug?

Yes.

Amnorix 10-01-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10038663)
I originally disliked the making a trilogy from the single work of the Hobbit. Then I thought, "WTF? Who cares, I get to spend 6 more hours inside Middle Earth instead of just 2 more." There's also the fact that they've moved well beyond the material found in the Hobbit for the movies as well. If they'd try to just stretch the material in the Hobbit and tell it in a narrative that strictly imitates the novel into 3 movies, then I'd have been annoyed. After I saw it, though, I was cool with it.

Agreed, and they're not just making stuff up from nowhere. While some of the stuff is off-camera (re: the "Necromancer") we know it does happen.

This is Tolkien's story AS told by Jackson. If you're a purist, then I'm sure you will hate it, in which case don't go. For the rest of us, I think Jackson has earned our trust that he will do no harm, and will entertain us greatly with his vision of the story.

AustinChief 10-01-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10038682)
Agreed, and they're not just making stuff up from nowhere. While some of the stuff is off-camera (re: the "Necromancer") we know it does happen.

This is Tolkien's story AS told by Jackson. If you're a purist, then I'm sure you will hate it, in which case don't go. For the rest of us, I think Jackson has earned our trust that he will do no harm, and will entertain us greatly with his vision of the story.

Yup. I'm a bit of a "purist" but that hasn't kept me from enjoying the films immensely.

Some aspects of the first Hobbit movie were a bit over the top and childish for me but looking back it certainly makes sense considering the Hobbit was far more a childrens book. I actually think the entire 6 movie series will work on many levels once the 2 remaining Hobbit films are finished.

The only MAJOR thing I would change about all of it (so far) is I'd put Tom Bombadil back in the Fellowship.

keg in kc 10-01-2013 05:53 PM

I didn't like the first one all that much, it seemed overlong and meandering and for much of the runtime pointless, but that doesn't keep me from looking forward to part 2.

Deberg_1990 10-01-2013 08:41 PM

Looks like more CGI bullshit where characters defy the laws of gravity and never get one cut or scrape.

Frazod 10-01-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10039420)
Looks like more CGI bullshit where characters defy the laws of gravity and never get one cut or scrape.

Yeah, they definitely went over the top with the last one at times. That last scene with the trees dangling over the cliff was ridiculous. They should have at least greased one of them.

Deberg_1990 10-01-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10039448)
Yeah, they definitely went over the top with the last one at times. That last scene with the trees dangling over the cliff was ridiculous. They should have at least greased one of them.

I like Jackson, but yes, he goes too far over the top of believability with his action scenes at times.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tribal Warfare 10-03-2013 04:44 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OPVWy1tFXuc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aspengc8 10-03-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10042533)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OPVWy1tFXuc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Legolas and azog do not belong in this movie.