ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games DayZ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270257)

hometeam 02-21-2013 06:22 PM

DayZ

With the DayZ standalone playable alpha release looming, I thought I would check out the mod version of the game. http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

If you dont know, DayZ is an open world survival zombie game modification based off of the military sim ArmA 2 games. www.dayzmod.com

Basically its hardcore mode survival against zombies and even more dangerous, other players.

I have been watching vids for months and took advantage of a steam sale today to pick up ArmA 2.

Anyone playing DayZ right now? Servers? Thoughts? I have a teamspeak we can use!

jd1020 02-21-2013 08:07 PM

Played it for a short while.

It's cool and fun at first but after awhile it gets boring. There's nothing to do in the game. It's like a MMO where you do nothing but grind mobs, except when you die you lose it all.

QuikSsurfer 02-21-2013 10:05 PM

Played it heavily over the summer. Was playing with about 8 other guys on a daily basis.. Some great times.
My buddy just got it loaded up (it's available on steam now - the DayZ mod)
Tonight we actually jumped on a vanilla server -- good times. Got to Elektro and raided a bit before admin had to bounce servers.

hometeam 02-21-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9424412)
Played it heavily over the summer. Was playing with about 8 other guys on a daily basis.. Some great times.
My buddy just got it loaded up (it's available on steam now - the DayZ mod)
Tonight we actually jumped on a vanilla server -- good times. Got to Elektro and raided a bit before admin had to bounce servers.

Yea thats the reason i picked it up today, as it can be ran easily from steam. I have been watching the mod, and especially the standalone release for quite some time. I need people to play with!

hometeam 02-23-2013 07:54 AM

I really figured this thread would get a little more action -

That being said you can find me playing thelaughingman private hive server #2, i have already figured out the game fairly well. Seems like it could be ALOT more fun with a crew.

jd1020 02-23-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9427728)
I really figured this thread would get a little more action -

That being said you can find me playing thelaughingman private hive server #2, i have already figured out the game fairly well. Seems like it could be ALOT more fun with a crew.

Well... DayZ takes more than your typical WoW computer to run it.

hometeam 02-23-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9427905)
Well... DayZ takes more than your typical WoW computer to run it.

I guess thats true.. im running maxed even with fraps going, I have a pretty stout rig. Even so, a decent mid range i5 2500k based machine should be able to run it fairly well.

Buck 12-23-2013 09:57 PM

I'm watching this streamed on Twitch and damn I want to buy it right now. Who has it?

hometeam 12-23-2013 11:57 PM

I do.

notorious 12-24-2013 12:06 AM

I gave it a test drive today.

No weapons, no zombies. It has a long way to go.

hometeam 12-24-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10308147)
I gave it a test drive today.

No weapons, no zombies. It has a long way to go.

There are plenty of weapons. Way easier in fact, than the mod to get geared up.

As for zombies, the servers cant handle more right now, but there are some.

notorious 12-24-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10308152)
There are plenty of weapons. Way easier in fact, than the mod to get geared up.

As for zombies, the servers cant handle more right now, but there are some.

Must have been a dry server.

hometeam 12-24-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10308153)
Must have been a dry server.

The way the spawning system works right now, each loot spot spawns once when the server is reset. Dynamic server spawning will come in the next update.

kcxiv 12-24-2013 02:56 AM

i looked at this game here and there, but what kinda computer do you need? Ever since i quit MMO's i havent had the need to build a computer, so mines pretty damned old now.

notorious 12-24-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10308179)
The way the spawning system works right now, each loot spot spawns once when the server is reset. Dynamic server spawning will come in the next update.

Cool to know.

I still have purchase a graphics card. The mod ran decent on my laptop and new desktop, but the stand alone is obviously a step up in graphics power. Yikes.

salame 12-24-2013 10:25 AM

is this piece free yet?

notorious 12-24-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salame (Post 10308663)
is this piece free yet?

Never will be.

It's a stand alone game.

hometeam 12-24-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10308313)
i looked at this game here and there, but what kinda computer do you need? Ever since i quit MMO's i havent had the need to build a computer, so mines pretty damned old now.

You need a pretty good PC. DayZ standalone is based off of Arma 3, but I find it actually runs better than Arma3. It is because they have artificially deflated the view distance and some other graphics settings.

Still, you need at least a modern mid range graphics card/processor.. think i5-2500k and 560ti or equivalent to be able to run it with any sort of fidelity.

Buck 12-24-2013 01:42 PM

I'm glad you posted that, my CPU needs an upgrade.

Stanley Nickels 12-26-2013 07:38 PM

Cross posting from another thread... Didn't see this one yet.

I'd be interested in playing the standalone with some CPers if anyone wants to get something together..

hometeam 12-26-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 10311942)
Cross posting from another thread... Didn't see this one yet.

I'd be interested in playing the standalone with some CPers if anyone wants to get something together..

Add me on steam - search Falx and add the one with the ball bearing that has green goo on it. You will see it. I have a teamspeak and a bandit crew if you want to jump right in and start ****in shit up.

hometeam 12-26-2013 11:44 PM

****ING LOLED. This is Dayz IN a nutshell.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7RLcqYTsMiI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stanley Nickels 12-27-2013 08:36 AM

Added you- I'm CastastropheWagon.

hometeam 12-27-2013 08:56 AM

Ill hit you up when I get home tonight, unfortunately DayZ in alpha form is still buggy. I was fully equipped at green mountain barracks, and when I logged back in I was on the shore with nothing so ill be starting out fresh.

Stanley Nickels 12-27-2013 11:55 AM

Do you know where you are on the coast? I'm pretty well geared up right now and I can make my way to your location with some stuff.

Stanley Nickels 12-27-2013 11:57 AM

PS that's so ****ing frustrating.. It's happened to me once or twice too.

hometeam 12-27-2013 12:20 PM

Ya know I cant remember, I heard the ocean, it faded in, I was on the coast, I said **** it and closed the game.

I will likely head either to the military building the apartment area above Cherno, or Balota airfield and server hop until I am geared.

Stanley Nickels 12-27-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10312787)
Ya know I cant remember, I heard the ocean, it faded in, I was on the coast, I said **** it and closed the game.

I will likely head either to the military building the apartment area above Cherno, or Balota airfield and server hop until I am geared.

I've found that joining nighttime servers with very few people is great for gearing up.. Turn your brightness/gamma all the way up and you can see pretty well. I'm at the airstrip in the middle of the map but I may hole up at Devils Castle.

hometeam 12-27-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 10312808)
I've found that joining nighttime servers with very few people is great for gearing up.. Turn your brightness/gamma all the way up and you can see pretty well. I'm at the airstrip in the middle of the map but I may hole up at Devils Castle.

Yea Ill have to get up that way. We can either hop in TS or Skype and meet up.

hometeam 12-31-2013 01:59 PM

new patch today, including work on SPAWNING.

As mr nickels and I found out, prior to this patch you could just as easily end up on shore with nothing as you could to log back in where you left off. Hopefully they have fixed it.

New World Order 12-31-2013 06:08 PM

This is a survival game and people shoot to kill way too much. I hope they add in bots and if you do shoot a bot it means instant death. This would keep people from shooting right whne they see someone.

Pants 12-31-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10324939)
This is a survival game and people shoot to kill way too much. I hope they add in bots and if you do shoot a bot it means instant death. This would keep people from shooting right whne they see someone.

Would there be instadeath for you IRL if the a zombie apocalypse was to happen and you shot another survivor?

Stanley Nickels 12-31-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 10325082)
Would there be instadeath for you IRL if the a zombie apocalypse was to happen and you shot another survivor?

Sure, but this isn't IRL. IRL, survival would mean killing zombies. People in this game simply run past zombies or hack them silently, since the main point seems to be killing/robbing other people. That's not an IRL representaiton of a zombie apocalypse, IMO. Plus, with camping, if you miss and someone picks you off because your gunshot gave away your location, you just respawn. On the other hand, if you're running for god knows how long to gear up (because you spawn in some remote location) and you're picked off by a sniper who cares less about zombies than waiting for people to kill, it's pretty frustrating.

Valiant 01-01-2014 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 10325087)
Sure, but this isn't IRL. IRL, survival would mean killing zombies. People in this game simply run past zombies or hack them silently, since the main point seems to be killing/robbing other people. That's not an IRL representaiton of a zombie apocalypse, IMO. Plus, with camping, if you miss and someone picks you off because your gunshot gave away your location, you just respawn. On the other hand, if you're running for god knows how long to gear up (because you spawn in some remote location) and you're picked off by a sniper who cares less about zombies than waiting for people to kill, it's pretty frustrating.

Umm a zombie apocalypse and surviving zombies has never been the problem of surviving the zombies, it is always other humans. Seems to me the game is running perfectly..

hometeam 01-01-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10325575)
Umm a zombie apocalypse and surviving zombies has never been the problem of surviving the zombies, it is always other humans. Seems to me the game is running perfectly..

The game isn't even as hardcore as the devs really wanted to make~

notorious 01-01-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10325687)
The game isn't even as hardcore as the devs really wanted to make~

LMAO

Your post reminds me of the SciFi show "Caprica" in which there is a virtual world called "New Cap City".

It's just like real life, and if you die in the game you are NEVER allowed back on.

Pants 01-01-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10325575)

Exactly my point. :)

Buck 01-01-2014 01:39 PM

hometeam, do you ever stream yourself playing or does anyone in your group? I want to see how it goes with you.

hometeam 01-01-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10326183)
hometeam, do you ever stream yourself playing or does anyone in your group? I want to see how it goes with you.

I cant because I only have 1.5mb upload. The group I roll with has one guy that sometimes does, but he is inconsistent at best

as soon as my DAMN FIBER CONNECTION gets installed I will literally stream 90% of all gameplay I do, in any game.

Until then check out some guys on twitch;

Lirik
Sacriel
Ngotie
PsiSyndicate

Stanley Nickels and I have been getting down on some DayZ and in general, doing pretty well.

I don't think we have been shot in the face yet, so that says a lot.

Buck 01-01-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10326233)
I cant because I only have 1.5mb upload. The group I roll with has one guy that sometimes does, but he is inconsistent at best

as soon as my DAMN FIBER CONNECTION gets installed I will literally stream 90% of all gameplay I do, in any game.

Until then check out some guys on twitch;

Lirik
Sacriel
Ngotie
PsiSyndicate

Stanley Nickels and I have been getting down on some DayZ and in general, doing pretty well.

I don't think we have been shot in the face yet, so that says a lot.

I want to get it, but I need to upgrade my CPU first. As soon as I do I will be on a lot I think.

hometeam 01-01-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10326263)
I want to get it, but I need to upgrade my CPU first. As soon as I do I will be on a lot I think.

If you have an i5-2500k or better and 560ti or better you will be fine on low/medium settings.

Even though I haven insanely powerful rig I still only get around 30-35 in cities on maximum graphical settings, right now everyone's performance is taking a hit because the server side does not use multi-thread or have any optimization.

Alpha-game is Alpha. Optimization coming soon~

Buck 01-01-2014 03:28 PM

I have a 660ti, but I have an AMD Phenom II X4. It's not very good.

I've been wanting to just get a i5-3570K so I will have a decent system, but I can never pull the trigger on it. Sucks I have to change my mobo too. I should have just gone intel when I built my rig.

hometeam 01-01-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10326442)
I have a 660ti, but I have an AMD Phenom II X4. It's not very good.

I've been wanting to just get a i5-3570K so I will have a decent system, but I can never pull the trigger on it. Sucks I have to change my mobo too. I should have just gone intel when I built my rig.

Meh, youll be fine.

Buck 01-01-2014 05:23 PM

If you think so. I'll pick it up Jan 9th for my next paycheck.

Jerm 01-01-2014 05:44 PM

Man this is janky lol...I know it's Alpha so I'm cool with it.

Pretty fun so far, been a while if ever that a game has installed this amount of paranoia and nervous feelings in me.

Stanley Nickels 01-01-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 10326777)
Man this is janky lol...I know it's Alpha so I'm cool with it.

Pretty fun so far, been a while if ever that a game has installed this amount of paranoia and nervous feelings in me.

Add me on Steam if you want -- CatastropheWagon

I'll be on again tonight or tomorrow.

Jerm 01-01-2014 06:08 PM

Will do...

Jerm 01-01-2014 08:59 PM

Contemplating buying ArmA II and OA off Steam for $5 and installing the DZ mod...seems to be fleshed out greatly more than the standalone at this point.

hometeam 01-02-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 10327187)
Contemplating buying ArmA II and OA off Steam for $5 and installing the DZ mod...seems to be fleshed out greatly more than the standalone at this point.

Not only have huge swaths of the community switched to the standalone, but the actual FUNCTIONING of the game works much better in SA.

The mod still takes you 2 minutes to get connected to a server, IF you get connected at all. Is far more buggy than even this alpha release, etc.

Then again for 5 bucks meh, maybe its worth it. You can get some time out of it.

hometeam 01-07-2014 12:59 AM

DayZ is just so ripe for cinematic vids

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s2N8kMbqsbI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y0n2pkmfhKQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and the developer team getting ambushed on a live server

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DLnVNYmp8bk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quesadilla Joe 01-09-2014 09:31 AM

Some of these are pretty funny...

http://kotaku.com/dayz-as-told-by-st...ium=Socialflow

hometeam 01-09-2014 10:22 AM

The first review about breaking your legs and crawling for ten miles. I literally did this Sunday. I tried to commit suicide off of a cliff, and broke my legs instead, couldn't finish the job so crawled for miles until a kind soul found me and accepted my request that I be beaten to death.

Buck 01-10-2014 10:32 AM

Can't you just leave the server and log back in?

hometeam 01-10-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10359167)
Can't you just leave the server and log back in?

.. you could, and you would be in the exact same spot, with your legs broken. All of the servers share a common DB.

Buck 01-11-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10359330)
.. you could, and you would be in the exact same spot, with your legs broken. All of the servers share a common DB.

Lol awesome. If I buy the game now will anyone play tonight?

Edit: I bought it, downloading now.

hometeam 01-11-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10361949)
Lol awesome. If I buy the game now will anyone play tonight?

Edit: I bought it, downloading now.

Ill play with you. You nee dto add me on Steam - Falx with the green goo ball~

Another great thing about DayZ SA is that your in game friends list, where you can see your friends and where they are playing etc, is directly derived from your steam friends list. Makes it way easy.

edit: nvm just accept my friend request

Buck 01-11-2014 07:57 PM

Do you wanna play now or after the Pats/Colts game?

hometeam 01-11-2014 10:44 PM

Not only did I kill a fully equipped, gun wielding dude with my axe,

I also got shot in my face for running around a corner.

It was a good DayZ~

Buck 01-11-2014 10:46 PM

I got a Magnum. That was a lot of fun for miles of running.

Buck 01-11-2014 11:20 PM

Holler if you guys wanna play again tonight or else some time tomorrow maybe.

Buck 01-12-2014 09:02 AM

Well im gonna hop on now and hope I don't get killed. I'm going to gingerly explore the airfield some more on low activity servers. I'm on teamspeak in case one of you hops on. (have push to talk on so i wont annoy anyone else)

Buck 01-12-2014 09:18 AM

Okay so I spawned in the airfield, sweet. Only 2 people on the server sweet.

I loot the first building I left off in and go run to the hangar and all the sudden I hear a gate swing and I'm shot a bunch and die and hear a guy say, "GO HOP SOME MORE BITCH."

Mother****er.

I had so much food and a bunch of stuff for weapons but when the guy loots me he'll realize I had nothing worth taking...I really want to get back into that server and go kill him, but now I can't connect to any servers...ugh.

My first DayZ rage :(

Buck 01-12-2014 09:41 AM

And for the quintuple post, I'm logging off now and waiting for one of you to get on later...it's pointless for me to run around naked w/out someone to help me gear up.

I logged out at the gas station about 250m north of Solnichniy.

For some reason the map looks like shit on my browser today, I can't tell if I ****ed up a setting or is this happening for everyone?

http://i.imgur.com/47EkJ7T.png

Stanley Nickels 01-12-2014 12:09 PM

Do you have the font zoomed? That's happened to me before..

notorious 01-12-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10363284)
Holler if you guys wanna play again tonight or else some time tomorrow maybe.

Sure.

How does 1:30 PT/3:30 CT sound?

Buck 01-12-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10363854)
Sure.

How does 1:30 PT/3:30 CT sound?

LOL

I've got important business around that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels (Post 10363845)
Do you have the font zoomed? That's happened to me before..

Yep that was it, thanks.

notorious 01-12-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10363860)
LOL

I've got important business around that time.

Ahhhhhhhh.

Funny, I don't have anything scheduled. Maybe I will see if a game is on.

LMAO

hometeam 01-12-2014 12:22 PM

Steam is best for game invites~

hometeam 01-12-2014 01:42 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FGl90KdoWAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buck 01-12-2014 07:36 PM

K, I'm ready to play now.

notorious 01-12-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10365958)
K, I'm ready to play now.

Take out your frustration on that **** at the airport.

Buck 01-12-2014 09:56 PM

I played with some guy that hometeam met tonight and he saved my life and got killed in the process. RIP guy.

Also I'm in Electro for the next time I start the game.

allen_kcCard 01-13-2014 09:34 AM

I read before you need a pretty beefy system to run this right?

hometeam 01-13-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 10366719)
I read before you need a pretty beefy system to run this right?

Yes fairly. Buck can has a quite a bit less than beefy system, im not sure how its running but he kept up with us just fine.

Arma 3 engine is basically one of the most CPU intensive graphical engines out there, because of the sheer numbers of stuff that is drawn and the distance it is drawn at. Even gen 2 I-5s should be able to handle it though.

Buck 01-13-2014 10:16 AM

DayZ

I have a 660ti and an AMD Phenom ii X4 B955 oc'd to 3.7 MHz and it auto set to high settings and seems to run fine but I haven't really been in any intense battles yet so I'm not sure.
Let me know how I can see my FPS and I'll report back on that tonight.

hometeam 01-13-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10366786)
I have a 660ti and an AMD Phenom ii X4 B955 oc'd to 3.7 MHz and it auto set to high settings and seems to run fine but I haven't really been in any intense battles yet so I'm not sure.
Let me know how I can see my FPS and I'll report back on that tonight.

Battles really don't increase the performance demands a lot.

What does is being in the larger cities. When your in the middle of cherno or elektro my GPU literally runs at like 30%, because it offloads so much to the CPU.

It will get better, in fact just a little bit ago Rocket announced that they had new tools ready to help improve performance .

You can see your FPS with an overlay program, like MSI afterburner or EVGA preciiosn X, then turn on the game overlay, choose FPS and watch it in game. I typically have my FPS, GPU temp, GPU utilization all up when playing

Buck 01-13-2014 10:48 AM

Cool. I did notice my frame rate drop a little in Elektro yesterday but I was bleeding and starving and dying of thirst so I thought that was why.

Even though the game is so buggy I'm obsessed with it after 2 days. I'm gonna watch some streams at work today.

hometeam 01-13-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10366833)
Cool. I did notice my frame rate drop a little in Elektro yesterday but I was bleeding and starving and dying of thirst so I thought that was why.

Even though the game is so buggy I'm obsessed with it after 2 days. I'm gonna watch some streams at work today.

Compared to the mod its light years ahead. And remember, this is an alpha game. We are lucky it works~

Buck 01-13-2014 01:23 PM

My friend just bought the game. Is it ok if I invite him to the teamspeak when we play together?

When it's just he and I, we'll use our own.

hometeam 01-13-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10367093)
My friend just bought the game. Is it ok if I invite him to the teamspeak when we play together?

When it's just he and I, we'll use our own.

Yea not a problem. Its not my TS but the guy who runs it doesn't care afaik