ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Can Wal-Mart take over the U.S.? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108364)

Skip Towne 01-14-2005 10:33 AM

Can Wal-Mart take over the U.S.?

Considering that any one of their stores can make a man fabulously wealthy, what's to stop them from taking over.

Mile High Mania 01-14-2005 10:37 AM

Who says they haven't already...

Skip Towne 01-14-2005 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
Who says they haven't already...

That's true. I guess they wouldn't really need an army but I'll bet they could come up with one if they wanted to.

Deberg_1990 01-14-2005 10:44 AM

They are pretty much the Microsoft of the retail world. I think they are now wanting a bigger piece of the grocery market as well. Ive seen a few Wal-Mart Grocery stores aroundl.

Soupnazi 01-14-2005 10:45 AM

Well, they already do a better job of slowing inflation than the Fed does...

NewChief 01-14-2005 10:45 AM

They've started up some new propaganda website (can't remember the URL right now) to counterspin all the negative publicity they've been getting lately. It's like thetruth.com or some crap. Lee Scott announced it yesterday at the corp. offices over the broadcast system.

Kerberos 01-14-2005 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
That's true. I guess they wouldn't really need an army but I'll bet they could come up with one if they wanted to.

Wal-Mart has ruined it for ALL of us in any job we get ... EVERYONE wants everything for as cheap as they can get it and to be able to return it if it doesn't work or after they have used it and just want to return it because they can.

Then we have to hear then b!tch about everything that is wrong with thier lives at our jobs cause wal-mart has made them that way ...

IMHO Walmart has already brought our society to a different level of thinking and sometimes it is NOT for the better ...

BTW: Going to wally world after work with the kid and WU !

:)

Cliff

Mile High Mania 01-14-2005 10:52 AM

I can say that Wal Mart is without a doubt one of the top (if not the #1) companies that a sales rep does not want to deal with... good lord.

MichaelH 01-14-2005 10:54 AM

Wal Mart is good for cheap stuff. If you value quality more than price, Wal Mart isn't for you. I think they've taken a large chunk of the retail market, but there's always specialty stores. For instance, I wouldn't buy any stereo or home theater equiptment there. I wouldn't buy furniture there. I wouldn't buy pets there. I do my grocery shopping there, but there's always things we need like good cheese, wine and beer that Wally World can't provide.

Deberg_1990 01-14-2005 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH
Wal Mart is good for cheap stuff. If you value quality more than price, Wal Mart isn't for you. I think they've taken a large chunk of the retail market, but there's always specialty stores. For instance, I wouldn't buy any stereo or home theater equiptment there. I wouldn't buy furniture there. I wouldn't buy pets there. I do my grocery shopping there, but there's always things we need like good cheese, wine and beer that Wally World can't provide.

Very well said. Why is it we all bad mouth them but all of us go shop there in a heartbeat to get like 2 cents off a gallon of gas and 3 cents off of a DVD ???

Skip Towne 01-14-2005 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
They are pretty much the Microsoft of the retail world. I think they are now wanting a bigger piece of the grocery market as well. Ive seen a few Wal-Mart Grocery stores aroundl.

Although many of the Supercenters sell groceries, they have dedicated grocery stores in NW Ar. They call them "Neighborhood Markets". It wouldn't surprise me to see them start popping up all over the US.

Saulbadguy 01-14-2005 11:00 AM

Nope, just Arkansas.

Saulbadguy 01-14-2005 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH

Since when did Wal-Mart sell pets??

Saulbadguy 01-14-2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania
I can say that Wal Mart is without a doubt one of the top (if not the #1) companies that a sales rep does not want to deal with... good lord.

Because Wal-Mart is one of the only companies that can dictate the price of a good to the manufacturer. Quite amazing, actually.

NewChief 01-14-2005 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Although many of the Supercenters sell groceries, they have dedicated grocery stores in NW Ar. They call them "Neighborhood Markets". It wouldn't surprise me to see them start popping up all over the US.

They're going to have to improve them, though. The Neighborhood Market in Fayetteville pretty much sucks for selection. If you're going to specialize in grocery, you've got to offer more food selection. As is, the Supercenters have a better grocery selection than the NM. The only benefit of the NM is that it's easier to get in and out of.