ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink How do you feel about Popeyes chicken? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275171)

jd1020 08-08-2013 11:29 AM

I like their chicken much better than KFC but the huge difference between them and KFC is that KFC uses high school cafeteria quality sides, just embarassing.

Reaper16 08-08-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craqhead (Post 9867935)
Bojangles chicken.

Bojangles chicken is good (certainly better than a Zaxby's chicken strip. C'mon, y'all.), though not as good as Popeye's. But the main point of Bojangles is their biscuits. The Cajun Filet biscuit is perhaps the best fast food sandwich in America.

Reaper16 08-08-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9867891)
It's the king of fast food chicken although I do like Church's as well. The best fried chicken on earth is Gus's in Memphis followed closely by Willa Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans. I'm a fried chicken junky.

Gus's chicken is incredible. I just ate there for the first time last month, on the way up to Kansas City from Alabama. I had to eat there again on the way back. The most technically perfectly cooked fried chicken I've ever had.

JimNasium 08-08-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9867983)
Gus's chicken is incredible. I just ate there for the first time last month, on the way up to Kansas City from Alabama. I had to eat there again on the way back. The most technically perfectly cooked fried chicken I've ever had.

When folks will stand in the Memphis heat for an hour for chicken it must be good. I'll be there weekend after next and I suspect I'll have it twice. Willa Mae's in New Orleans has better sides but Gus's is just unreal. Oh, BTW, if anyone decides to go to Willa Mae's, the neighborhood is a daytime trip only. I don't think they are open at night and that's a part of town where you can easily wake up dead if your not careful.

Frazod 08-08-2013 11:53 AM

I had it for lunch. Found one a few blocks away that's still open. :thumb:

DaKCMan AP 08-08-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9868011)
Oh, BTW, if anyone decides to go to Willa Mae's, the neighborhood is a daytime trip only. I don't think they are open at night and that's a part of town where you can easily wake up dead if your not careful.

Um, yeah. So I was in 'Nawlins for a bachelor party in April and on the final day (Sunday morning) we decided to go to Willie Mae's. We don't have a car and we're a block off of Bourbon St.. it's not that far so we decide to walk there. There are some pretty big (built, not fat) guys in our group.

Anyway - 5 of them head out and then 3 of us leave 15 mins later. We're about a mile down the road, just before the highway overpass, and the 5 guys are walking back toward us. And there's someone following them. When they reach us the dude following them starts asking each of us for $$ and, now with 8 of us, and back closer to the 'ok' locations - he backs off. From what the 5 of them say (and they're the 5 largest of our group) they almost got mugged in broad daylight by that dude. He wasn't coarse to the group of 8, but when he first approached the 5 he started cursing and demanding them to give him their $$, etc. They had gotten further down the road (past the highway it starts to get real sketch/ghetto) than we did.

We ended up not getting Willie Mae's. :(

Predarat 08-08-2013 11:56 AM

I love it, it is very good. Like the OP says the Cajun Spiced is just damn awesome. And the Cajun Gravy on the Mashed Potatoes is good too. The Gumbo they have seasonally is great as well.

Pepe Silvia 08-08-2013 12:06 PM

Chicken Annies and Chicken Mary's kicks ass too.

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9867833)
Not nearly as good as Zaxbys.

I like Zaxbys but its a difference in taste.

Popeyes taste like no other if you like spicy.

Zaxby's has great homemade potato chips as a side. Great stoner food.

You do know that the recipe for Popeyes chicken in New Orleans is different from the rest of the country right?

It's much spicier than the rest of the country.

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9868011)
When folks will stand in the Memphis heat for an hour for chicken it must be good. I'll be there weekend after next and I suspect I'll have it twice. Willa Mae's in New Orleans has better sides but Gus's is just unreal. Oh, BTW, if anyone decides to go to Willa Mae's, the neighborhood is a daytime trip only. I don't think they are open at night and that's a part of town where you can easily wake up dead if your not careful.

They close at 2pm

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9868028)
Um, yeah. So I was in 'Nawlins for a bachelor party in April and on the final day (Sunday morning) we decided to go to Willie Mae's. We don't have a car and we're a block off of Bourbon St.. it's not that far so we decide to walk there. There are some pretty big (built, not fat) guys in our group.

Anyway - 5 of them head out and then 3 of us leave 15 mins later. We're about a mile down the road, just before the highway overpass, and the 5 guys are walking back toward us. And there's someone following them. When they reach us the dude following them starts asking each of us for $$ and, now with 8 of us, and back closer to the 'ok' locations - he backs off. From what the 5 of them say (and they're the 5 largest of our group) they almost got mugged in broad daylight by that dude. He wasn't coarse to the group of 8, but when he first approached the 5 he started cursing and demanding them to give him their $$, etc. They had gotten further down the road (past the highway it starts to get real sketch/ghetto) than we did.

Typical crack head.

Ever since they had Willie Mae's on the Travel Channel the tourists have been going there and that's what this crack head was after.

DTLB58 08-08-2013 12:24 PM

Hate it and the service sucks!

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9867833)
Not nearly as good as Zaxbys.

I like Zaxbys but its a difference in taste.

Popeyes taste like no other if you like spicy.

Zaxby's has great homemade potato chips as a side. Great stoner food.

You do know that the recipe for Popeyes chicken in New Orleans is different from the rest of the country right?

It's much spicier than the rest of the country.

siberian khatru 08-08-2013 12:34 PM

I love Popeye's.

My aunt lived in Metairie, La. in the 1970s and said the original Popeye's there was MUCH spicier, but they had to tone it down when it went national because most people's taste buds couldn't handle it.

JimNasium 08-08-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9868028)

Yeah, walking there from the Quarter is a bad plan, even in broad daylight. It's definitely a cab or car destination.