ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink How do you feel about Popeyes chicken? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275171)

Deberg_1990 08-08-2013 10:36 AM

How do you feel about Popeyes chicken?

Love that spicy chicken with a side of red beans and rice!

Frazod 08-08-2013 10:37 AM

They closed the one by my office. BASTARDS :cuss:

Dartgod 08-08-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9867772)

They closed the one in my town too. ****ers.

Reaper16 08-08-2013 10:38 AM

It's nearly perfect.

KC Dan 08-08-2013 10:39 AM

They opened one by my office/house. ahhhhhhh!!!

philfree 08-08-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9867772)

They closed on down the street from my office but now it's a Pine Garden Chinese place. Best Cashew Chicken in town.

Frazod 08-08-2013 10:40 AM

Love the spicy strips with the blackened ranch dipping sauce. Great sides, too.

J Diddy 08-08-2013 10:40 AM

They closed the one in Joplin after just a short time as well. I was pissed. Everything about popeyes kicks the shit out of KFC.

MTG#10 08-08-2013 10:41 AM

Its over rated and over priced. That's how I feel about it.

KCUnited 08-08-2013 10:42 AM

Can't compete with a mixed snack + 6 wings around me.

KC Dan 08-08-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9867788)
Everything about popeyes kicks the shit out of KFC.

Very true. KFC is absolute shite in every way. I think I know where I'm going for lunch now. Thanks all!!!:D

tecumseh 08-08-2013 10:48 AM

Love dat'.... No franchise close to home , however we have two mom and pop cajun joints that are good nad about the same price as popeyes.

T-Town 08-08-2013 10:50 AM

http://i.qkme.me/3pn9lg.jpg

Ceej 08-08-2013 10:52 AM

Beats all of the over chicken fast food chains by a pretty wide margin.

It's a ****ing shame there's not one in Topeka.

Nightfyre 08-08-2013 10:52 AM

Not nearly as good as Zaxbys.

MTG#10 08-08-2013 10:55 AM

Ive been twice. Both times my portions were small, the chicken was bland, and the sides weren't half as good as KFC's...and I dont even like KFC. I dont understand the hype at all but Im glad you all enjoy it.

Pepe Silvia 08-08-2013 10:56 AM

Best chicken on earf.

JimNasium 08-08-2013 11:07 AM

It's the king of fast food chicken although I do like Church's as well. The best fried chicken on earth is Gus's in Memphis followed closely by Willa Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans. I'm a fried chicken junky.

DaKCMan AP 08-08-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9867833)

<3 Zaxbys

dj56dt58 08-08-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9867788)
They closed the one in Joplin after just a short time as well. I was pissed. Everything about popeyes kicks the shit out of KFC.

Just opened another one in Joplin a couple months ago

Mr. Flopnuts 08-08-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9867896)
<3 Zaxbys

You know what today is, don't you? It's the most Awesome day of the week. Super spicy Thai Thursday!

DaKCMan AP 08-08-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9867903)
You know what today is, don't you? It's the most Awesome day of the week. Super spicy Thai Thursday!

:sulk:

I pre-super-thai-hot-Thursday'd by eating Thai last night.

I did have ThaIndian leftovers for lunch, though. :D

SuperChief 08-08-2013 11:15 AM

Literally 1 month after I moved to a new town for college, the single Popeyes within 50 miles closed down. Sadness ensued.

Ceej 08-08-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 9867915)
Literally 1 month after I moved to a new town for college, the single Popeyes within 50 miles closed down. Sadness ensued.

Prayers.

Craqhead 08-08-2013 11:22 AM

Bojangles chicken.

RedandGold 08-08-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 9867902)
Just opened another one in Joplin a couple months ago

So far, it seems to be run much better than the last attempt.

blaise 08-08-2013 11:26 AM

I like KFC more than Popeyes.

Ace Gunner 08-08-2013 11:27 AM

LJSsploogefart.gif

DaKCMan AP 08-08-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craqhead (Post 9867935)
Bojangles chicken.

Bojangles was 'aight.

1ChiefsDan 08-08-2013 11:29 AM

Haven't had good fried chicken since I graduated college in 1990.
Nothing like the chicken in SE KS. Chicken Annies and Bartos FTW.

jd1020 08-08-2013 11:29 AM

I like their chicken much better than KFC but the huge difference between them and KFC is that KFC uses high school cafeteria quality sides, just embarassing.

Reaper16 08-08-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craqhead (Post 9867935)
Bojangles chicken.

Bojangles chicken is good (certainly better than a Zaxby's chicken strip. C'mon, y'all.), though not as good as Popeye's. But the main point of Bojangles is their biscuits. The Cajun Filet biscuit is perhaps the best fast food sandwich in America.

Reaper16 08-08-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9867891)
It's the king of fast food chicken although I do like Church's as well. The best fried chicken on earth is Gus's in Memphis followed closely by Willa Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans. I'm a fried chicken junky.

Gus's chicken is incredible. I just ate there for the first time last month, on the way up to Kansas City from Alabama. I had to eat there again on the way back. The most technically perfectly cooked fried chicken I've ever had.

JimNasium 08-08-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9867983)
Gus's chicken is incredible. I just ate there for the first time last month, on the way up to Kansas City from Alabama. I had to eat there again on the way back. The most technically perfectly cooked fried chicken I've ever had.

When folks will stand in the Memphis heat for an hour for chicken it must be good. I'll be there weekend after next and I suspect I'll have it twice. Willa Mae's in New Orleans has better sides but Gus's is just unreal. Oh, BTW, if anyone decides to go to Willa Mae's, the neighborhood is a daytime trip only. I don't think they are open at night and that's a part of town where you can easily wake up dead if your not careful.

Frazod 08-08-2013 11:53 AM

I had it for lunch. Found one a few blocks away that's still open. :thumb:

DaKCMan AP 08-08-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9868011)
Oh, BTW, if anyone decides to go to Willa Mae's, the neighborhood is a daytime trip only. I don't think they are open at night and that's a part of town where you can easily wake up dead if your not careful.

Um, yeah. So I was in 'Nawlins for a bachelor party in April and on the final day (Sunday morning) we decided to go to Willie Mae's. We don't have a car and we're a block off of Bourbon St.. it's not that far so we decide to walk there. There are some pretty big (built, not fat) guys in our group.

Anyway - 5 of them head out and then 3 of us leave 15 mins later. We're about a mile down the road, just before the highway overpass, and the 5 guys are walking back toward us. And there's someone following them. When they reach us the dude following them starts asking each of us for $$ and, now with 8 of us, and back closer to the 'ok' locations - he backs off. From what the 5 of them say (and they're the 5 largest of our group) they almost got mugged in broad daylight by that dude. He wasn't coarse to the group of 8, but when he first approached the 5 he started cursing and demanding them to give him their $$, etc. They had gotten further down the road (past the highway it starts to get real sketch/ghetto) than we did.

We ended up not getting Willie Mae's. :(

Predarat 08-08-2013 11:56 AM

I love it, it is very good. Like the OP says the Cajun Spiced is just damn awesome. And the Cajun Gravy on the Mashed Potatoes is good too. The Gumbo they have seasonally is great as well.

Pepe Silvia 08-08-2013 12:06 PM

Chicken Annies and Chicken Mary's kicks ass too.

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

I like Zaxbys but its a difference in taste.

Popeyes taste like no other if you like spicy.

Zaxby's has great homemade potato chips as a side. Great stoner food.

You do know that the recipe for Popeyes chicken in New Orleans is different from the rest of the country right?

It's much spicier than the rest of the country.

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9868011)
When folks will stand in the Memphis heat for an hour for chicken it must be good. I'll be there weekend after next and I suspect I'll have it twice. Willa Mae's in New Orleans has better sides but Gus's is just unreal. Oh, BTW, if anyone decides to go to Willa Mae's, the neighborhood is a daytime trip only. I don't think they are open at night and that's a part of town where you can easily wake up dead if your not careful.

They close at 2pm

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9868028)
Um, yeah. So I was in 'Nawlins for a bachelor party in April and on the final day (Sunday morning) we decided to go to Willie Mae's. We don't have a car and we're a block off of Bourbon St.. it's not that far so we decide to walk there. There are some pretty big (built, not fat) guys in our group.

Anyway - 5 of them head out and then 3 of us leave 15 mins later. We're about a mile down the road, just before the highway overpass, and the 5 guys are walking back toward us. And there's someone following them. When they reach us the dude following them starts asking each of us for $$ and, now with 8 of us, and back closer to the 'ok' locations - he backs off. From what the 5 of them say (and they're the 5 largest of our group) they almost got mugged in broad daylight by that dude. He wasn't coarse to the group of 8, but when he first approached the 5 he started cursing and demanding them to give him their $$, etc. They had gotten further down the road (past the highway it starts to get real sketch/ghetto) than we did.

Typical crack head.

Ever since they had Willie Mae's on the Travel Channel the tourists have been going there and that's what this crack head was after.

DTLB58 08-08-2013 12:24 PM

Hate it and the service sucks!

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

I like Zaxbys but its a difference in taste.

Popeyes taste like no other if you like spicy.

Zaxby's has great homemade potato chips as a side. Great stoner food.

You do know that the recipe for Popeyes chicken in New Orleans is different from the rest of the country right?

It's much spicier than the rest of the country.

siberian khatru 08-08-2013 12:34 PM

I love Popeye's.

My aunt lived in Metairie, La. in the 1970s and said the original Popeye's there was MUCH spicier, but they had to tone it down when it went national because most people's taste buds couldn't handle it.

JimNasium 08-08-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9868028)

Yeah, walking there from the Quarter is a bad plan, even in broad daylight. It's definitely a cab or car destination.

JimNasium 08-08-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9868116)
Typical crack head.

Ever since they had Willie Mae's on the Travel Channel the tourists have been going there and that's what this crack head was after.

That's the 7th Ward isn't it?

JimNasium 08-08-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9868108)
They close at 2pm

I love their butter beans. I tried to replicate them at home and failed miserably.

Stewie 08-08-2013 12:53 PM

I like Popeye's, especially their red beans and rice.

On a side note: The crappy Quiznos by my work went out of business. I don't know how they stayed in business as long as they did.

J Diddy 08-08-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverDanChiefsFan (Post 9867957)
Haven't had good fried chicken since I graduated college in 1990.
Nothing like the chicken in SE KS. Chicken Annies and Bartos FTW.

Don't forget Gebhardts.

Frazod 08-08-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9868152)
I love Popeye's.

My aunt lived in Metairie, La. in the 1970s and said the original Popeye's there was MUCH spicier, but they had to tone it down when it went national because most people's taste buds couldn't handle it.

I remember back in the late 80s KFC had spicy chicken that was hot as hell. It was delicious (and brutal a few hours later, too). Better and spicier than Popeye's. It's a shame they discontinued it.

blaise 08-08-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9868206)

On a side note: The crappy Quiznos by my work went out of business. I don't know how they stayed in business as long as they did.

I hate how Quiznos measures out the meat and if it's too much they take away the tiniest little piece to make it even.

unlurking 08-08-2013 01:14 PM

Love Popeye's.

Anyone try the chicken and waffles strips?

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/f...ate-the-taste/

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9868203)
I love their butter beans. I tried to replicate them at home and failed miserably.

The key is pickled pork.

That's what they simmer them with, same as red beans, bay leaf, etc.

Very hard to find, I can't even find it here in Houston but that's what that special something is. Plus the right seasonings of course. Probably some bacon fat.

There's a company out there called Blue Runner from New Orleans that sells Red Beans & Butter Beans in a can all creamy and shit. Just add water or chicken stock. You can find them in some stores not sure about your area.

It's the closest thing you can find close to home cooked simmered for several hours beans. Just add rice. Only about 1.00 per can too. I eat the Blue Runner red beans all the time.

http://www.bluerunnerfoods.com/

houstonwhodat 08-08-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 9868191)
That's the 7th Ward isn't it?

I forget.

It' definitely thug central.

There's a reason they close at 2pm.

I don't think even they want to be in that neighborhood later in the day.

Willie Mae's is good but you can do better for real cajun food.

Willie Mae's is more soul food than anything.

BigOlChiefsfan 08-08-2013 01:41 PM

Married a gal from New Orleans - you want to go anywhere but in the 'Quarter or out in the 'burbs, you get in a cab. "Don't get excited, call United!" is more than just a slogan down there. I may not be real smart, but I know better than to cross Rampart Street on foot.

Hereabouts, I like Popeyes fine - their sides rule. But when I want chicken I usually hit 'Go Chicken Go' for an order of chicken livers & hot sauce. Cholesterol? Who you talking to?

Dayze 08-08-2013 01:49 PM

never had it.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-08-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9867980)
Bojangles chicken is good (certainly better than a Zaxby's chicken strip. C'mon, y'all.), though not as good as Popeye's. But the main point of Bojangles is their biscuits. The Cajun Filet biscuit is perhaps the best fast food sandwich in America.

:clap: Amen. Reaper can add food to his list of knowledge. This post is as spot on as a chicken post can be spot on. Bojangles biscuits is their claim to fame. Popeye's is the shit! Head exploding goodness would be some popeye's chicken on a Bojangles biscuit. Like, whoa!

hometeam 08-08-2013 01:52 PM

Better than Chik Fil A.

I have to travel to STL a couple times a month and always stop at the one in the travel station just to the west on I-70~

BigMeatballDave 08-08-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9868361)
Better than Chik Fil A.

~

LMAO No ****ing way.

BigMeatballDave 08-08-2013 01:57 PM

Popeyes is okay.

Haven't tried Bojangles or Zaxby's.

Hardee's chicken strips are good.

BigMeatballDave 08-08-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9868206)

Quiznos peaked 6 years ago. They've gone to shit.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-08-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9868371)
Popeyes is okay.

Haven't tried Bojangles or Zaxby's.

Hardee's chicken strips are good.

I am quite pleased with the effort put forth by Hardee's on their hand breaded chicken strips. I get an order of those instead of fries when I go there anymore.

siberian khatru 08-08-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9868376)

I'm not sure about the peak, but they've definitely gone to shit.

Anybody been to Lenny's? One opened here a few months ago and it's pretty good.

jspchief 08-08-2013 02:09 PM

Red beans and rice is great. Biscuits are great. Chicken is solid.

Frazod 08-08-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

That's another place I really liked near my office that shut down. There isn't another one within walking distance. I really don't care for any of the other sub places.

JimNasium 08-08-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9868311)
Willie Mae's is good but you can do better for real cajun food.

Willie Mae's is more soul food than anything.

Oh, I agree. I was only focusing on them as a chicken joint. I'm a former resident and frequent visitor and have an entire list of places that I'd rather eat at before heading to the Maple Leaf for beers and music.

Sorce 08-08-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9868262)
Love Popeye's.

Anyone try the chicken and waffles strips?

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/f...ate-the-taste/

'

Yes I've had them, they are really good but only with the dipping sauce. By themselves they aren't anything special.

Reaper16 08-08-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9868353)
:clap: Amen. Reaper can add food to his list of knowledge. This post is as spot on as a chicken post can be spot on. Bojangles biscuits is their claim to fame. Popeye's is the shit! Head exploding goodness would be some popeye's chicken on a Bojangles biscuit. Like, whoa!

Wright Thompson once wrote about his immense love of Popeye's and how he brings it to Ole Miss tailgates, preferring it even to chicken from noted chef John Currence (who attends the same tailgate). AND how the only thing he might like better than Popeye's is the Bojangles cajun filet biscuit.

http://espn.go.com/golf/blog/_/name/...hicken-biscuit

unlurking 08-08-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Potbelly. Looks like there is one in KCMO. This place is what Quizno's coulda/shoulda been.

Aries Walker 08-08-2013 04:15 PM

My only complaint with Popeye's is that the food is too fattening. Otherwise, it's close to perfect. The skin is tangy and crisp, the chicken moist, and the sides are unique and wonderful. I ate 64 pieces by myself in two days once.

Bugeater 08-08-2013 04:18 PM

I love me some Popeye's, but it's a bit overpriced for what you get. Although it's not so bad if you do the buy 8 pcs get 8pcs free deal on Mondays.

ModSocks 08-08-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Truth.

BigMeatballDave 08-08-2013 04:24 PM

Actually, my favorite chicken is whatever Chinese food I'm eating. :)

Stewie 08-08-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9868788)
Actually, my favorite chicken is whatever Chinese food I'm eating. :)

Heh.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1255287801.jpg

FlaChief58 08-08-2013 04:53 PM

Stopped going when they stopped selling fried okra. They can rot in hell!

Brock 08-08-2013 05:02 PM

Not bad.

Abba-Dabba 08-08-2013 05:27 PM

My love affair with Popeye's started way back in 1995 at Ft. Stewart, GA. We had a supply sgt. named Stephen White who on our last day of a gunnery rotation here he comes bouncing out to the range in his deuce and a half bringing us chow. Expecting a t-rat dinner once again we were overjoyed to find out that he had nothing but boxes upon boxes of Popeyes. It was the most enjoyable meal I had ever had in the military. I will never forget that man. RIP SFC White.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/va...-white/1459376

Frazod 08-08-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9868862)
Stopped going when they stopped selling fried okra. They can rot in hell!

ROFL

Tribal Warfare 08-08-2013 05:44 PM

Got ours back in Joplin :rockon:

BigRedChief 08-08-2013 07:26 PM

Was loving me some Popeye's chicken back long time. Way back in 1978 when I was 2 during my time in New Orleans and southern Louisiana.