ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Stone Temple Pilots fire lead singer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270463)

Brock 03-01-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9454783)
Can you provide a good argument against?

Yeah. Their entire catalogue since then.

penguinz 03-02-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9455809)
How about the mere fact that Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic sold about 7 million records? The subsequent records sold even more.

Is that a good enough argument?

Does not mean it was their best work. BSSM had some good music on it. Still think that MM was better.

Brock 03-02-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9458403)
Does not mean it was their best work. BSSM had some good music on it. Still think that MM was better.

Isnt this a little different than saying "Mothers Milk was their last good album"?

penguinz 03-03-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9458454)
Isnt this a little different than saying "Mothers Milk was their last good album"?

IMO Mothers Milk was an overall a better album. Give it Away and Under the Bridge brought down BSSM down a few notches.

beach tribe 03-03-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9446632)
No, you're missing the point: Grunge had it's tiny window and it closed rather quickly. Yet, you can name bands from the 70's and 80's that are still out on the road, putting out albums and having tons of success.

Grunge was truly a fad.

Cobain knew it lol.

Brock 03-03-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9459757)
IMO Mothers Milk was an overall a better album. Give it Away and Under the Bridge brought down BSSM down a few notches.

I have no quarrel with you holding that opinion. What I am disagreeing with is this:

Quote:

RHCP last good album was Mothers Milk.

beach tribe 03-03-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9449267)
LMAO

Consistent with what, exactly? Guys dying from heroin overdoses? Changing drummers every other year? Changing guitarists every album?

LMAO

U2 released their first album in 1980. Their heyday was during the 80's, not the 90's.

Too fat.

Dude what?
Frusciante the guitarist was gone for 1 maybe two
albums and and was replaced with Navarro then came back.

DaneMcCloud 03-03-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9459806)
Dude what?
Frusciante the guitarist was gone for 1 maybe two
albums and and was replaced with Navarro then came back.

Hillel Slovak, Arik Marshall, Frusciante, Navarro, Jesse Tobias, DeWayne McKnight, Jack Sherman.

Omaha 03-06-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9449209)

I loved Mother's Milk, but I thought BSSM was better.

Ace Gunner 03-06-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 9445318)
This is huge news said 1994.

bravo :clap:

rocknrolla 03-06-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

No, you're missing the point: Grunge had it's tiny window and it closed rather quickly. Yet, you can name bands from the 70's and 80's that are still out on the road, putting out albums and having tons of success.

Grunge was truly a fad.

That must be why Pearl Jam sold out Wrigley field in 45 minutes.

DaneMcCloud 03-06-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 9472068)

We're talking about the "movement" not one particular band

Omaha 03-07-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 9472068)

I have loved Pearl Jam from the beginning. I think the "grunge" label was always dumb. They are simply a great rock band. Are there people who still consider them grunge? Are there people who think grunge is a thing?

rabblerouser 03-07-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9460485)
Hillel Slovak, Arik Marshall, Frusciante, Navarro, Jesse Tobias, DeWayne McKnight, Jack Sherman.

to put this into context, Tobias, Marshall, and Blackbyrd didn't record with RHCP; they're were all in the band for a cumulative 15min, collectively.

Sherman replaced Slovak for the first album and tour while Slovak was in another band with Jackie I, so really it's like this :

Sherman : 1984
Slovak : 85-88
Frusciante : 88-92
Navarro : 93-97
Frusciante : 98-2010
Klinghoffer : 2010-??

that's 5 guitarists over 30 years.

Quote:

Grunge was truly a fad.

'grunge' WAS a fad - only people at least a decade older than me even use that word in conjunction with any type of musical genre though; it described the way posers dressed in high school.

Fact is, the music of the so-called 'grunge' bands is pretty disparate. Jane's Addiction sounded nothing like Chili Peppers, who sounded nothing like Soundgarden, who sounded nothing like Smashing Pumpkins.

I don't know too many bands from the 70's and 80's who put out records that move huge numbers, except for U2 and RHCP. Elton John.

But a lot of the 70's/80's bands move tickets purely on nostalgia; they hit the baby boomer market hard - even going so far to scalp their own tickets to make sure they gougue their 'fans' for as much as they can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9449209)

they've had at least 3 great records since then.

Hell, I'm in the minority, but I'm a big One Hot Minute fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9446898)
I wish I could find my cover for the album but I'm betting I could count the songs credited with DuVall as a co-writer with 3 fingers or less.

Hey...Dane's in the industry, so that means his opinion on the subject is somehow more valid than anyone else's.

rabblerouser 03-07-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9473259)
Are there people who think grunge is a thing?

Only people in their fifties.

'Grunge' was laughable as soon as they started trotting that stupid ****ing word around.

No one my age used that word, unless we were making fun of old people.

'My aunt said 'grunge', hahahah!! Then I said I didn't want gravy on my mashed potatoes, and she said 'that's okay, you're 'alternative'. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!'

But no one who was in the moment ever went 'think I'll listen to some 'grunge' as they reach for the Mudhoney CD...ever.

Like, it was just rock music to us. There was no 'grunge movement' - all that shit's in hindsight. Geffen records was pushing Nirvana's Nevermind just as hard as they pushed GN'R and Aerosmith back then, played them all on the same radio stations. The compartmentalization within the industry didn't happen until later, after Nevermind went to number one and they realized the MARKET that was available.