ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2012 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254491)

lewdog 01-03-2012 04:15 PM

I just think that no matter what lifting exercise you chose, you have to stick with it for awhile to continue to gain strength. Too many people have exercise ADD or believe in "shocking" the muscles and change exercises too much so that progression is thrown out the window.

If I could put 60lbs on my bench in a year I would be soooo happy. If you look at adding that much weight to my bench, that is "measly" 5lbs a month. It is grinding it out, week after week to make those gains. If I trained like most people, I would sub out flat bench after only making a 5lb gain in a month but subbing it out won't let me get better at it! I think even if your main goal isn't strength, you need to keep lifts in there much longer than people do in order to make progress on the lift, which will result in changing your body more so than switching exercises. Progression in weight or reps is what makes the body change (independent of exercise chosen), not constantly changing exercises which doesn't allow you to really push the body into new strength levels and have to adapt.

lewdog 01-03-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 8259844)
Am I the only person in the world that looks forward to legs? My program calls for squats every day I'm in the gym, and a heavy dose of deads. I love it.

I love legs too! I hate bench. But I guess competing in Olympic lifting for a few years and doing snatches, cleans and squatting 4x a week will do that! Injured my hip and damn do I miss training like that. :(

NewChief 01-03-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8259848)
I just think that no matter what lifting exercise you chose, you have to stick with it for awhile to continue to gain strength. Too many people have exercise ADD or believe in "shocking" the muscles and change exercises too much so that progression is thrown out the window.

If I could put 60lbs on my bench in a year I would be soooo happy. If you look at adding that much weight to my bench, that is "measly" 5lbs a month. It is grinding it out, week after week to make those gains. If I trained like most people, I would sub out flat bench after only making a 5lb gain in a month but subbing it out won't let me get better at it! I think even if your main goal isn't strength, you need to keep lifts in there much longer than people do in order to make progress on the lift, which will result in changing your body more so than switching exercises. Progression in weight or reps is what makes the body change (independent of exercise chosen), not constantly changing exercises which doesn't allow you to really push the body into new strength levels and have to adapt.

You're clearly not a fan of Crossfit. ;)

lewdog 01-03-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8259864)
You're clearly not a fan of Crossfit. ;)

Haha generally no. But it does have a somewhat different goal and I have seen some very good Crossfit places that do their ever changing workouts but also keep in progression on things like squats and deads. As long as a Crossfit program has consistent work with main lifts, I don't see a problem with their ever changing exercises. Not many run their Crossfit programs like this but I have seen a few and I totally don't hate Crossfit when it is run like that.

BigCatDaddy 01-03-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8259848)

I know a competitive bb'er that said he would change up everything each time he came in. Sets, reps, excercise, rest, etc... I gave it a shot for about 2 weeks and hated it. I'm like you in that I enjoy the trying to progress on the same lifts so I change it up every 4-6 weeks.

MoreLemonPledge 01-03-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 8259846)
You do heavy squats and deads everytime you workout?

Heavy squats on Monday and Friday, Lighter squats on Wednesday with heavy deads.

BigCatDaddy 01-03-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 8259898)
Heavy squats on Monday and Friday, Lighter squats on Wednesday with heavy deads.

That's cool. I remember trying many many years ago trying to do both heavy on the same day. I did dead's first so my heavy on squats didn't end up so heavy. That routine got canned pretty quick.

lewdog 01-03-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 8259898)

Is that a Starting Strength routine?

TheGuardian 01-03-2012 05:15 PM

For the longest I pulled and squatted heavy in the same workout. I have no idea why some pussies say they can't do it. I'm hardly the epitome of strength but doing 600 squats and 600 deads in the same workout isn't a big deal. If Andy Bolton can squat 800 and pull 1000 pound block deads in the same session surely everyone else can do it too.

lewdog 01-03-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8260003)
For the longest I pulled and squatted heavy in the same workout. I have no idea why some pussies say they can't do it. I'm hardly the epitome of strength but doing 600 squats and 600 deads in the same workout isn't a big deal. If Andy Bolton can squat 800 and pull 1000 pound block deads in the same session surely everyone else can do it too.

"I'm hardly the epitome of strength"

and

"doing 600 squats and 600 deads"

These do not belong in the same sentence! Incredible stuff man.

But I agree. The body can be conditioned to do most things. I never though sqautting heavy 4x week for Olympic lifting was possible or made sense. But boy did my body condition itself to this workload and much faster than I expected.

Silock 01-03-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8259808)
I eat fatty steaks every day now and am 8% at 235-240 now.

I do, too, but I'd rather eat them with lots of beer and as much apple pie as I could shove down my throat :)

Silock 01-03-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8259965)
Is that a Starting Strength routine?

Sounds like Madcow 5x5.

lewdog 01-03-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8260148)
Sounds like Madcow 5x5.

:doh!: That is what I meant.

MoreLemonPledge 01-03-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8260148)
Sounds like Madcow 5x5.

Sure is. I'm sticking by it as long as I'm seeing substantial gains from it. Quick routine that's worked wonders for me so far.

penguinz 01-03-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8260146)
I do, too, but I'd rather eat them with lots of beer and as much apple pie as I could shove down my throat :)

I ate a whole box of thin mints for desert on New Years Eve. 4,500 calories!