ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Be the GM Part 5 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254975)

whoman69 01-12-2012 01:51 PM

Be the GM Part 5

This will be a repeating feature. We will take each position in turn. For each position we will look at the players we already have on the roster and whether those player should be retained, resigned, traded, or cut. We will also discuss whether we need help in the draft, trades or free agency. The next position is an area with a lot of questions, RUNNING BACK.

Currently on roster and cap hit if signed next year:

Jamaal Charles under contract cap hit $4.25 million
Thomas Jones UFA
Dexter McCluster under contract cap hit just over $1 million
Jackie Battle FA
Leron McClain UFA
Shaun Draughn unknown

Barret 01-12-2012 02:36 PM

No one is 100% with Charles health and there is some REALLY dead wood as far as RB's go on this roster.

Pay Charles and see how he does in spring training.
Cut Jones
Cut McCluster
Let Battle test Free Agency but give him semi-generous offer to see if he will stay
Resign Leron McClain. as a FB he still can block well and he can take McCluster's carries
WTF is Shaun Draughn?? training camp fodder or practice squad him if that is possible.

If we can't move down for a BPA or move up for a QB then take in the draft Trent Richardson.

So your main back is Charles if he is Healthy or 90%
Secondary back is Richardson who is taking Jones / McCluster carries.
Battle might be back and he is a breather / garbage time / backup if someone goes down back
McClain is your FB for Blocking and possible 3rd down back.

On 3rd and short which the Chiefs have been having issues, Put Richardson as your RB and McLain as your FB and with a decent OC you should be able to get the first down with those two in the game.

whoman69 01-12-2012 06:30 PM

IMO McCluster has earned his pay since Cassel has been out of the line-up. Cassel laid him out to dry with the expected check down. For the cap # we can't really complain. Battle won't have much of a cap # either unless another team makes a run for him as a starter. At a minimum he should provide a good alternative to Charles, certainly more than Jones was last year. Jones is dead man walking. I'd rather see better value out of a first that high than a running back. These days they don't outlast their first contract often.

Brock 01-12-2012 06:42 PM

There's nothing to discuss on Thomas Jones.

Fritz88 01-12-2012 06:47 PM

I'd get Manning.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 01-12-2012 06:49 PM

Keep Charles, McCluster, McClainn if he comes cheap.

Draft Richardson in the first if you want. Or a rb somewhere in the draft.

Bane 01-12-2012 06:55 PM

BoneKrusher 01-12-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8289764)
There's nothing to discuss on Thomas Jones.

This^
waste of roster space.

O.city 01-12-2012 07:01 PM

BTW whoman, I really like these GM things.

ChiefsCountry 01-12-2012 07:55 PM

I would make a free agent move on BenJarveus Green-Ellis.

whoman69 01-12-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8289818)
BTW whoman, I really like these GM things.

Thanks, thought it would get more discussion. Guess this position is pretty cut and dried. We all hope Charles will be back to form. I think everyone realizes he needs to split carries to a certain extent. The question becomes do you get value from a first round running back these days?

Deberg_1990 01-12-2012 09:10 PM

Cut McCluster? ROFL

jd1020 01-12-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8290092)
Cut McCluster? ROFL

850 all purpose yards from a part time player just isn't worth keeping around. :banghead:

We should keep Battle though. Even though he only had 2 decent games this year and we are likely going to draft someone to do his job.

morphius 01-12-2012 10:59 PM

I was disappointed in McClain, didn't see much reason to bring him back.

I'd be very disappointed if Jones was even invited to camp for anything other than as a workout and conditioning coach.

Last off season I wanted Battle cut, he was terrible in preseason. He played well enough I'd be okay with him coming back as our 3rd RB.

McCluster, well, if we have an OC that isn't afraid to use him then sure, if we are going to use him like Haley and just throw quick WR screens, then why bother.

Sadly that leads us with someone to split carries with Charles, and needing a FB as well.

BossChief 01-12-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8290218)
850 all purpose yards from a part time player just isn't worth keeping around. :banghead:

We should keep Battle though. Even though he only had 2 decent games this year and we are likely going to draft someone to do his job.

DMC had around 1300 all purpose yards.

850 or so were from scrimmage.

Know your terminology.