ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Why Can't I Grill A Decent Steak? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276568)

Third Eye 10-27-2016 01:40 PM

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but as I've said in other threads, I can't recommend the reverse sear technique highly enough. Creates a nice edge to edge pink while still getting the perfect outside. Also, +1 for the ghee recommendation, but even better than that is rendered beef fat. Most butchers will give you the fat trimmings for free and you can render it yourself.

Fire Me Boy! 10-27-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12509113)
It's sooooo easy to make, though.

Make it in the oven!

http://paleospirit.com/2012/how-to-m...e-in-the-oven/

DJ's left nut 10-27-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12509136)

Can I try that recipe with butter that isn't that organic bullshit that cost 8 bucks/lb?

At this point I actively avoid all things organic just because people that worship the shit piss me off. And ironically, the same folks that bitch about income inequality also bitch about GMOs as though getting rid of them wouldn't yield rampant starvation.

I'll just get a couple of boxes of unsalted land o lakes and call it good...

ping2000 10-27-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 12509045)
Do you rub any olive oil on the steak before you throw it in the skillet on the stovetop?

Yes. This is the barefoot Contessa's method, and it works great. Easy and perfect everytime.

vailpass 10-27-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12509080)
A brush of canola couldn't hurt.

Though yes, FMB is right in that ghee is the absolute best way to go, I just don't know where to acquire it and I'm damn sure not going through the trouble of making it.

In either event, turn on your oven hood and open some windows. You'll get plenty of smoke during the high heat/sear portion on the stovetop and when you open that oven door after you put it in there for a few minutes, you'll have even more come rolling out.

That method creates a LOT of smoke.

Yeah I'm not messing with ghee or whatever, I like to keep it lean and simple.
Thanks for the tips.

Fire Me Boy! 10-27-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12509141)
Can I try that recipe with butter that isn't that organic bullshit that cost 8 bucks/lb?

At this point I actively avoid all things organic just because people that worship the shit piss me off. And ironically, the same folks that bitch about income inequality also bitch about GMOs as though getting rid of them wouldn't yield rampant starvation.

I'll just get a couple of boxes of unsalted land o lakes and call it good...

Yes, in fact I recommend it. I use unsalted LoL all the time.

I tried the really nice European butter once to see if it would be better, but it wasn't.

That said, Plugra as a butter (not ghee) is so freakin' awesome.

Fire Me Boy! 10-27-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 12509147)
Yeah I'm not messing with ghee or whatever, I like to keep it lean and simple.
Thanks for the tips.

You're missing out, brother.

vailpass 10-27-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ping2000 (Post 12509145)
Yes. This is the barefoot Contessa's method, and it works great. Easy and perfect everytime.

I don't know her but she sounds cool.
Thanks for the tip.

vailpass 10-27-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12509149)
You're missing out, brother.

I'm sure there are a whole lot of kitchen things you have going on that I'd dig upon. For me though there are days I don't even enter the kitchen.

KranzDictum 10-27-2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10010298)
Do you use any seasoning on steak? I never have but wonder if people do.

Salt and fresh ground pepper, if you don't have a pepper mill you don't know what you are missing.

ptlyon 10-27-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KranzDictum (Post 12509203)
Salt and fresh ground pepper, if you don't have a pepper mill you don't know what you are missing.

Oh not this shit again!