ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Why Can't I Grill A Decent Steak? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276568)

vailpass 09-23-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10010361)
One other thing I was told was never put salt on them while they are cooking, or at least wait until the end of the cooking process. I had some old boy gravel my ass years ago when he caught me doing that. He told me it dries out the meat and from my experience, he was right.

As far as thickness, I cook up to 2" ribeyes and they turn out great. It's a lot easier to over cook a thin steak, than a think one.

I have been told the same thing about salt. I go with thick too, trying to find that balance to get them exactly to medium rare.
At least I've mastered grilled shrimp.
Get big prawns, grab a lime off the tree, 5 minutes with one turn and they are perfect.

vailpass 09-23-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 10010364)
Montreal Steak Seasoning.

You're welcome

Thank you. Seems like some like seasoning, some don't.

jspchief 09-23-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 10010322)
No. Do not do this.

All restaurant steaks go from cold storage directly to the grill. Why? Because any amount of time where meat is kept at a unsafe temp. is bad. Any time uncooked meat is not kept within in a safe temp. only increases the odds of getting sick. I prefer to not take any chances.

And it doesn't do a thing for the meat. It is better for the meat to go directly from cold storage to the heat.

I'm not going to get into a big debate about this. Most of what you say is technically true, excluding the bolded part. Setting the meat out before cooking allows it to have a more even temperature, which in turn allows it to cook more evenly.

As for the health risk, while technically true, a lot of people have been doing it this way for a long time. It hasn't killed me or my family yet.

jspchief 09-23-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 10010364)
Montreal Steak Seasoning.

You're welcome

jesus. **** no. Don't ruin a good steak with that shit

vailpass 09-23-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10010368)
I'm not going to get into a big debate about this. Most of what you say is technically true, excluding the bolded part. Setting the meat out before cooking allows it to have a more even temperature, which in turn allows it to cook more evenly.

As for the health risk, while technically true, a lot of people have been doing it this way for a long time. It hasn't killed me or my family yet.

I have no problem with letting red meat sit out for a bit.
Pork and poultry? No.

vailpass 09-23-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10010370)
jesus. **** no. Don't ruin a good steak with that shit

A $20 piece of meat should stand on it's own, I just need to cook it right.

laughsatyou907 09-23-2013 06:57 AM

salt helps to break down the fats and sinews.

Bwana 09-23-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 10010358)
exact same grill i got for my bday sat. Used it for the first time yesterday and it was great.

The one thing you NEVER want to do with it is let the lid drop. Wind can take the lid off off easily if a decent storm rolls in. If the lid hits the cement, it's still useable, but it will never seal the same way. You will end up getting unwanted drafts in the thing, which can easily start fires inside and mess with what you're cooking. You can compensate to some degree for a bent lid by closing off the top vent, but it's a pain in the ass. I end up replacing them at least every two years because of a bent lid issue.

Chazno 09-23-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

No. Do not do this.

All restaurant steaks go from cold storage directly to the grill. Why? Because any amount of time where meat is kept at a unsafe temp. is bad. Any time uncooked meat is not kept within in a safe temp. only increases the odds of getting sick. I prefer to not take any chances.

And it doesn't do a thing for the meat. It is better for the meat to go directly from cold storage to the heat.

Letting it sit after cooking is okay and does let juices recollect.

As other people have said, 6 or 7 minutes per inch or so. Don't be afraid to flip twice if you don't think it is done.

If you have the time, try searing both sides, then cooking it slower with indirect heat. Usually produces a juicy steak.

And I'll suggest my favorite steak rub: Jerk. Jerk seasoning on a steak is delicious.

Of course restaurants do this. They don't know 20 minutes before hand if someone is going to order a steak and they can't make the customer wait an extra 20 mins. If they set it out anyway they would either have waste when a customer didn't order it or questionable food storage practices when they returned the sitting steak back to cold storage.

In addition we don't all have grills that go above 1000 degrees like many of the big steak houses do that can make up for letting the meat warm up.

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 10010383)
Of course restaurants do this. They don't know 20 minutes before hand if someone is going to order a steak and they can't make the customer wait an extra 20 mins. If they set it out anyway they would either have waste when a customer didn't order it or questionable food storage practices when they returned the sitting steak back to cold storage.

In addition we don't all have grills that go above 1000 degrees like many of the big steak houses do that can make up for letting the meat warm up.

Good points all...

chiefzilla1501 09-23-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

No. Do not do this.

Letting it sit after cooking is okay and does let juices recollect.

As other people have said, 6 or 7 minutes per inch or so. Don't be afraid to flip twice if you don't think it is done.

If you have the time, try searing both sides, then cooking it slower with indirect heat. Usually produces a juicy steak.

And I'll suggest my favorite steak rub: Jerk. Jerk seasoning on a steak is delicious.

Ditto on the quick sear part. I find that especially for thicker cuts, I often like to sear on high heat, then cook on low or indirect heat. I feel like that keeps me from accidentally overcooking the outside while the inside needs cooking.

Chief Roundup 09-23-2013 07:12 AM

Never have had a problem with cooking steaks on my grill. I use a charcoal grill. They always come out good. I didn't think you could screw them up other than burning or over cooking them.

vailpass 09-23-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10010389)
Ditto on the quick sear part. I find that especially for thicker cuts, I often like to sear on high heat, then cook on low or indirect heat. I feel like that keeps me from accidentally overcooking the outside while the inside needs cooking.

Indirect heat? As in I shut off half my grill?

ThatRaceCardGuy 09-23-2013 07:18 AM

Because **** Denver..tthats why.

Ace Gunner 09-23-2013 07:18 AM

try a charcoal loaded habachi and tell me if that's what you wanted your steaks to turn out like. I say this because I used to spend the big money on outdoor grills and was never quite satisfied with red meat coming off them. It never occurred to me there would be such a difference compared with charcoal. Last year, I kind of moved home base to this project I have going in KC and I picked up a cheapo habachi for temp purposes. What a diff in how a steak comes out.