ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

Three7s 02-21-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10444821)
Is Gio ever going to do anything for this team?

Doubt it. He's had several chances already and blown all of them.

alnorth 02-21-2014 06:04 PM

A few minor league players have filed a class-action lawsuit against Major League Baseball, primarily complaining that, aside from the few who get large bonuses, they are getting paid a lot less than minimum wage.

They also complain about the draft and other MLB rules, but thats probably going to be covered by the antitrust exemption. They might have something on the pay, though. It doesn't matter if you sign a contract or not, you generally can not pay someone less than minimum wage even if they agree to it.

Three7s 02-21-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10445669)
A few minor league players have filed a class-action lawsuit against Major League Baseball, primarily complaining that, aside from the few who get large bonuses, they are getting paid a lot less than minimum wage.

They also complain about the draft and other MLB rules, but thats probably going to be covered by the antitrust exemption. They might have something on the pay, though. It doesn't matter if you sign a contract or not, you generally can not pay someone less than minimum wage even if they agree to it.

What a bunch of babies. They're getting paid to play a game they've loved since they were kids, whom any of us would gladly quit our jobs in a heart-beat for a chance to play pro baseball. Have a problem with the money? Get better!

alnorth 02-21-2014 07:54 PM

interestingly enough, aside from MLB, Selig, and the MLBPA, the Kansas City Royals are also a named defendant because one of the three players suing baseball is in our minor league system. The other two teams named are the Giants and Marlins.

edit: correction, he (Michael Liberto) used to be in our minor leagues. A current minor leaguer would never dare sue for obvious reasons.

alnorth 02-21-2014 08:06 PM

I did some rough math, 6 minor league teams in our system, probably about 150 players, I'm assuming we make them work about 60 hours a week for 7 months and about 20 for the other 5, and assuming we pay them roughly $6,000/year now...

I think we currently pay our minor leaguers about $1MM/year, and the cost to pay them minimum wage would be about $2.5MM/year. So there really isn't much at stake here.

If I was MLB, I'd just settle and make this bad PR nuisance go away. Just pay everyone 1 year of back wages, start paying $7.25 from now on, and move on.

lewdog 02-21-2014 08:26 PM

I'm heading up to the morning workout tomorrow.

Any chants/jabs I should yell at the guys? I'm thinking of asking Ned what it will be like to have a real second baseman this year and see what he says.

stonedstooge 02-21-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10446025)

Any chants/jabs I should yell at the guys? I'm thinking of asking Ned what it will be like to have a real second baseman this year and see what he says.

Yell at Butler to run some extra laps

alnorth 02-21-2014 09:16 PM

Keep it good-natured. The 2B one is probably fine. I've never been a fan of heckling at a ballpark.

C3HIEF3S 02-21-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10446025)

Are you going to get any pictures like last year? Those were pretty awesome.

lewdog 02-21-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 10446091)
Yell at Butler to run some extra laps

Lol. Billy barely signed or took picture last year. I got one with him but he acted like it was a huge inconvenience....you know, me and the 10 other fans there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10446109)
Keep it good-natured. The 2B one is probably fine. I've never been a fan of heckling at a ballpark.

I agree. I'll ask Hoz if he knows if Dayton and Frenchy will be continuing a long distance relationship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 10446137)
Are you going to get any pictures like last year? Those were pretty awesome.

Hopefully! Getting the wife to go with me tomorrow. Pictures and some balls/bat to get some autographs. I'm actually not sure they will be there but they were on Saturday last year so I'm hoping it's the same. They don't release the workout schedule so I'm just guessing.

Demonpenz 02-21-2014 10:08 PM

Hoz is young and cool still. Once you get to be a vet you become an asshole.

mr. tegu 02-21-2014 11:02 PM

I had no idea minor leaguers got paid basically nothing. When do they start making any money?

MIAdragon 02-21-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10446265)
I had no idea minor leaguers got paid basically nothing. When do they start making any money?

After their rookie contract is up in the bigs. Im sorry but I don't feel for these guys at all.

mr. tegu 02-21-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 10446271)
After their rookie contract is up in the bigs. Im sorry but I don't feel for these guys at all.

Eric Hosmer's rookie contract wasn't for 6K a year. I'm talking about the guys making that amount and wondering if they get a raise for being promoted through the system without making the majors or if they just have to hope to be resigned for more.

alnorth 02-21-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 10446271)

Well, thats fine for them, but well over 90% never make it, and end up toiling away for years at less than 3 bucks an hour. Its not going to break the Royals or any other team to pay them minimum wage, I think they should just do it.