ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6484018)
Yep. They should at least have an SD card slot, 1 usb slot, and a camera.

They're trying to get rid of USB, honestly. First, they got shit for 1 USB port on the Air. And secondly, they're working on something called LightPeak which is basically One cord to rule them all. Power, video, usb, etc etc.

Bane 01-27-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 6484005)
It's running Iphone 3.2 OS.

Well hell...I haven't been able to check out the specs on it yet,and didn't know.My disappointment grows then.I love my Macs,but this isn't one of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6484030)
Well hell...I haven't been able to check out the specs on it yet,and didn't know.My disappointment grows then.I love my Macs,but this isn't one of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

OSX and OS Mobile are merging slowly.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:37 PM

Pundits saying it blows the Kindle out of the water and Kindle is out of the 1800s.

It's ridiculous. Not even competing for the same thing. Sure, there's overlap but again:

Long term reading better on LED/LCD or eink?

My bet is eink.

NewChief 01-27-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 6484006)
I think people were hoping for an OS X tablet, and instead ended up with a big iPhone. Not revolutionary, and barely evolutionary.

This, exactly. I want a full-featured, flat computer. I want to be able to install firefox or chrome on it. I want to be able to throw a game on it. I don't want some BS limited OS that is locked down so tight that you can't do jack shit on it. I'm sure they'll get jailbroken, but I'm not happy with the way the IpadOS is behind handled. I know there are battery issues, but it's still disappointing. My grant will be written to buy 5 netbooks for my students, not 2 of these.

Bane 01-27-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6484037)
OSX and OS Mobile are merging slowly.

The wife read an article on these a while back and thinks she wants one.I guess if you're just gonna surf the web and e mail it would be fine for that.I know she loves her I phone,so maybe I'll look more into them when they hit the stores.
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6484023)
They're trying to get rid of USB, honestly. First, they got shit for 1 USB port on the Air. And secondly, they're working on something called LightPeak which is basically One cord to rule them all. Power, video, usb, etc etc.

that would be a cool idea.

And morphius according to Gizmodo they will have adapters for USB and SD

Quote:

The iPad really is a giant iPhone—so much so that if you want to get a laptop-like experience out of it, you'll need adapters to change the typical 30-pin connector into USB, SD, or AC power. In addition to the keyboard attachment, there will also be dongles, attaching to the 30-pin dock connector, that give a USB port and SD card slot. In terms of charging, there's no built-in MagSafe connector or anything, so they'll also be shipping a USB-to-AC cable as an optional extra. Neither release date nor pricing has been revealed on these accessories, but we'll let you know as soon as we have them.

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6484045)
This, exactly. I want a full-featured, flat computer. I want to be able to install firefox or chrome on it. I want to be able to throw a game on it. I don't want some BS limited OS that is locked down so tight that you can't do jack shit on it. I'm sure they'll get jailbroken, but I'm not happy with the way the IpadOS is behind handled. I know there are battery issues, but it's still disappointing. My grant will be written to buy 5 netbooks for my students, not 2 of these.

What about the new HP Windows Slate?

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6484055)
The wife read an article on these a while back and thinks she wants one.I guess if you're just gonna surf the web and e mail it would be fine for that.I know she loves her I phone,so maybe I'll look more into them when they hit the stores.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's a visual media device. I'm still out on the reading part.

Pundits saying the ebook reader itself blows kindle out. Like I've said missing the point, but maybe there's some truth to it.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6484060)
What about the new HP Windows Slate?

Eh, call me an Apple fanboy but I prefer both OS X and their multitouch compared to Window's version.

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6484068)
Eh, call me an Apple fanboy but I prefer both OS X and their multitouch compared to Window's version.

I would have to try it out before I bought it. Also trying to find some specs on the slate and I don't know if it is locked down or not. It is supposed to run Windows 7 though.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6484070)
I would have to try it out before I bought it. Also trying to find some specs on the slate and I don't know if it is locked down or not. It is supposed to run Windows 7 though.

True, it does have a full featured OS on there.

irishjayhawk 01-27-2010 02:50 PM

I wonder if bluetooth headsets work with this.

morphius 01-27-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6484044)
Pundits saying it blows the Kindle out of the water and Kindle is out of the 1800s.

It's ridiculous. Not even competing for the same thing. Sure, there's overlap but again:

Long term reading better on LED/LCD or eink?

My bet is eink.

Yeah, it also blows away a no screen, $30 mp3 player, yipee!!! Do they want a pat on the head?

dirk digler 01-27-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6484075)
I wonder if bluetooth headsets work with this.

The specs say it has bluetooth

Wireless and Cellular

Wi-Fi model

• Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
Wi-Fi + 3G model

• UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz)
  • Data only<sup>2</sup>
  • Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology