ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Apple overhauling its 30 pin connector (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365)

Baby Lee 08-14-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8817103)
Transferring audio from an external drive to a computer is very different.

Think of it like comparing COAX cable to HDMI cable when connected to a flatscreen TV. COAX has a single wire that transmits all data(video/audio) at once, that is separated by the TV receiver when it gets there. HDMI has separate pins corresponding to different data, that is sent separately. Both cables do the same thing, transmit video and audio. But COAX sends the data in one single chunk, while HDMI splits it up into different manageable channels.

COAX, by sending all data at once, requires a lot more work to be done by the TV receiver. That translates into more energy consumption and reliance on the receiver to do all the work.

Why do you think D/A conversion and A/V separation consumes more energy on one device rather than another?

Saulbadguy 08-14-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8817168)
I ****ing hate Apple.

They changed their pin configuration on their iPods a few years back, so my non-Apple docking stations no longer charge iPods of any generation and last I checked, there is no adapter.

I got sucked into the iPhone 4s bullshit last year and absolutely hate that piece of battery hogging shit.

**** Apple.

I like their mobile products.

I despise their desktop/laptops.

DaFace 08-14-2012 02:33 PM

Is there an official reason why Apple refuses to adopt standards in their technologies? Seems like that would avoid a ton of headaches with stuff like this.

DaFace 08-14-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8816591)
Read the reply above yours before capslocking like a whiny child. Micro USB can't transmit the required amount of data protocols for these devices. It's insufficient for what Apple does.

Micro HDMI can, can't it?

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8817189)
I like their mobile products.

I despise their desktop/laptops.

That's cool. We have an iPad 2 and 3, two iPhones, two iTouches and several iPod of different vintage.

I feel like the iPads are just toys, the iTouches mini versions of the iPad, and the iPhones virtually worthless. I greatly preferred my Blackberry 9750 (or whatever it was) over the iPhone 4s due to the size, ease of keyboard use and service (although that's slightly unfair because T-Mobile is a million times better than Sprint in SoCal).

And their desktops and laptops are way overpriced garbage. Upgrades are virtually impossible and I think their OS is a clunky and crappy.

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8817195)
Is there an official reason why Apple refuses to adopt standards in their technologies? Seems like that would avoid a ton of headaches with stuff like this.

Yes, there is: Steve Jobs is a dick, even in death.

Silock 08-14-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8817168)
I ****ing hate Apple.

They changed their pin configuration on their iPods a few years back, so my non-Apple docking stations no longer charge iPods of any generation and last I checked, there is no adapter.

I got sucked into the iPhone 4s bullshit last year and absolutely hate that piece of battery hogging shit.

**** Apple.

What kind of times are you seeing on your battery?

Mine easily lasts 2 days, and that's with a lot of web surfing. The only time it gets really bad is when I'm streaming data over "4G." I can go from 100% - 80% with an hour and a half of streaming 610 sports. That may have more to do with the app than anything else, though.

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8817219)
What kind of times are you seeing on your battery?

Mine easily lasts 2 days, and that's with a lot of web surfing. The only time it gets really bad is when I'm streaming data over "4G." I can go from 100% - 80% with an hour and a half of streaming 610 sports. That may have more to do with the app than anything else, though.

A half a day battery life, at most. My wife experiences the same thing. And this is with double tapping and shutting down open programs and with Suri off.

I'm surprised you're is so much better. When did you purchase it?

|Zach| 08-14-2012 03:35 PM

The final rulings are in.

Thread - 1
Dave - 0

Good job. Good effort.

Saulbadguy 08-14-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8817195)

It's difficult to differentiate your product from the competition (and charge a premium) when it's the same.

Frazod 08-14-2012 03:37 PM

I'm fine with my current iPhone 4. And I simply find it impossible to believe that this Suri thing works the way the commercials show. I can have an actual meaningful conversation with my phone? Yeah, right.

In any event, I'll hold off until an adapter is created or I can buy the cords on monoprice. Either that or I'll switch to another device. **** these greedy scumbags.

Saulbadguy 08-14-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8817371)
A half a day battery life, at most. My wife experiences the same thing. And this is with double tapping and shutting down open programs and with Suri off.

I get about a day of battery life.

Thankfully i'm near a charger at my job, my car, and at home, so that's never been an issue.

Siri, at this point in time, is worthless to me. Anytime I :hmmm: and try to use it for something useful, it says it can't do it.

Saulbadguy 08-14-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8817445)
I'm fine with my current iPhone 4. And I simply find it impossible to believe that this Suri thing works the way the commercials show. I can have an actual meaningful conversation with my phone? Yeah, right.

In any event, I'll hold off until an adapter is created or I can buy the cords on monoprice. Either that or I'll switch to another device. **** these greedy scumbags.

Siri is actually much slower than it is in the commercials.

I think monoprice will sell the cables on the cheap so i'm not too worried about that.

Frazod 08-14-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8817451)
Siri is actually much slower than it is in the commercials.

I think monoprice will sell the cables on the cheap so i'm not too worried about that.

I assume it would be too traumatized to talk to me after getting cussed out 50 times a day.

Fish 08-14-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8817371)

There's something wrong with your situation. What is your charging method?