ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News 17 dead after duck boat capsizes on Table Rock Lake (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316341)

Hoover 07-20-2018 09:25 AM

I think the plastic windows - I assume they have seperate ducks for wet weather - saw them parked in the lot last week when I was down there - would make it very difficult to get out. Like front window or back. Thats it.

Plus they take pictures of every group that rides and do a group picture when they pull out. Will be interested to see where the people who made it out alive were seated.

SAUTO 07-20-2018 09:26 AM

****ing horrible

Hoover 07-20-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13636472)
This same thing happened a couple years ago in Hot Springs, Arkansas on Lake Hamilton. My parents lived down there. They really cram people into those ducks. It's like being in a school bus with three to a seat. And the roof sits pretty low, so there is no easy way to get out, especially if the boat was sinking. Most of these boats are really old too, like 1950's old. When this happened in Hot Springs I don't think weather was a factor. But yeah, you'd think when things started looking rough that the boat captain would make for shore asap to either get tied up to a dock or get to a boat launch. 17 deaths is bad, having kids die is the worst part.

The problem is these things are slow as shit in the water. And the rough water makes it really difficult to navigate.

Skyy God 07-20-2018 09:27 AM

That is gonna be a litigation bonanza.

O.city 07-20-2018 09:27 AM

We live about 2 miles north of springfield. Storm came thru here about 630, crazy ass wind. I've been on those ducks a bunch growing up. Crazy shit.

ThaVirus 07-20-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 13636414)
I realize everyone's physical abilities are different, so not judging (i guess) - but I find it increasingly disturbing that when tragedies strike, people's first instinct is to pull their phone out and start recording.

Just an observation.

Wonder what people did prior to cell phones?

It's great to have all of this documentation.

There's only so much the average bystander can do in most tragic situations anyway.

notorious 07-20-2018 09:39 AM

People jammed in like sardines with a roof trapping them in, rough water, confusion, panic, etc.

Can you imagine the people clawing over each other trying to get out?

Parents trying to save their kids while people around them are in full survival-instinct mode?

This might be my worst nightmare.

Hoover 07-20-2018 09:41 AM

When I was there last week we had a very brief storm come through - it was intense, trees down, water had to be rough, but it was a nice day, then it was a hurricane, then nice again. Is that normal down there?

ptlyon 07-20-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13636524)
When I was there last week we had a very brief storm come through - it was intense, trees down, water had to be rough, but it was a nice day, then it was a hurricane, then nice again. Is that normal down there?

Just like marshalltown

Flying High D 07-20-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 13636496)

Wouldn’t something be signed before getting a n relieving the company of any liability? Either that or there is signs, printed on the back of the ticket etc.

Fish 07-20-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 13636496)

These stupid duck boats are known to be dangerous. There's been quite a few tragedies involving these kinds of boats.

DaFace 07-20-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13636530)
Wouldn’t something be signed before getting a n relieving the company of any liability? Either that or there is signs, printed on the back of the ticket etc.

Though I don't know for sure, this doesn't seem like the kind of business that would be able to get away with a liability waiver. Baseball game where balls are unpredictable? Sure. Outdoor sports where injuries are relatively common? Sure.

You don't go on a tour where you're expected do just sit there the entire time and expect an injury. If they could get away with a waiver, pretty much every form of public transit would be able to as well.

dj56dt58 07-20-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13636530)

I wouldn’t think that would matter in this case..this was pure negligence

Hoover 07-20-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13636529)
Just like marshalltown

Yeah, I we were lucky last night, the tornados that hit Boundurant formed right over my neighborhood.

Hoover 07-20-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 13636539)
I wouldn’t think that would matter in this case..this was pure negligence

Agree. Those Ducks stop before entering the water. They swithc drivers to a certified captain, and radio in for the all clear to enter the water. Something in that process broke down.