ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

Omaha 03-16-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9504749)
Try squatting 135LBs for 100 reps in as few sets as possible. You have to do deep squats. My best is 3 sets.

That sounds rough. I have been working on my squat form for the last year. A year ago my form was so bad I could barely air squat below parallel without falling backwards. I do a lot of front squats now and I'm going ATG.

A group of guys at my gym did this challenge: They loaded their body weight on the squat rack and did as many squats as they could in an hour. The winner did 475 reps.

Omaha 03-30-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9399298)
Strengthen your ass. It supports your entire back.

This statement has turned out to be one of the most accurate posts ever posted on this site.

Buck 03-30-2013 03:36 PM

Saw this on reddit, pretty neat.

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

ThaVirus 03-30-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9541674)
Saw this on reddit, pretty neat.

http://simplesciencefitness.com/

A good friend of mine's girlfriend broke up with him a couple months ago so now he's trying to hit the gym hard. He says he started at 280 and wants to get back under 220 at least. He's always calling me asking questions about how to do things so I'll send this to him so he can do some reading.

Anyway, I've been lifting 4-5 days a week as usual but have changed my eating habits. I've been really trying to cut high fructose corn syrup out of my diet completely so I haven't had soda or white bread for quite some time. Truthfully, I was only drinking about a cup of soda (cumulative) per week anyway so that wasn't too hard, but the white bread was a killer for me. I like to eat 3 or 4 slices of butter bread with meals for the calories. When I discovered the bread I was buying had HFCS as one of its main ingredients, I immediately switched to wheat bread.

I feel like everything we eat is shitty, but it makes me feel better at the very least.

Buck 03-30-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9541714)
A good friend of mine's girlfriend broke up with him a couple months ago so now he's trying to hit the gym hard. He says he started at 280 and wants to get back under 220 at least. He's always calling me asking questions about how to do things so I'll send this to him so he can do some reading.

Anyway, I've been lifting 4-5 days a week as usual but have changed my eating habits. I've been really trying to cut high fructose corn syrup out of my diet completely so I haven't had soda or white bread for quite some time. Truthfully, I was only drinking about a cup of soda (cumulative) per week anyway so that wasn't too hard, but the white bread was a killer for me. I like to eat 3 or 4 slices of butter bread with meals for the calories. When I discovered the bread I was buying had HFCS as one of its main ingredients, I immediately switched to wheat bread.

I feel like everything we eat is shitty, but it makes me feel better at the very least.

I'm a huge proponent of Low Carb dieting, I should get that out of the way. Dude, to be honest, I don't think it matters whether you're eating White Bread or Wheat Bread. It's doing about the same exact thing once you eat it.

My problem is I can't get hungry enough now to maintain my current weight. Weed has been helping a lot, but I ran out and I'm considering getting a prescription because of my small appetite, I guess that's a valid reason in CA. Problem is that when I toke, I don't want to workout.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do because I don't want to go back to what I was doing before, I'm super afraid of that happening. I think I might incorporate rice into my meals once a week.

lewdog 03-30-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9541727)
. Dude, to be honest, I don't think it matters whether you're eating White Bread or Wheat Bread. It's doing about the same exact thing once you eat it.

Ummm no, different insulin responses for those completely. And insulin IS an important component of building muscle and carbs should never completely be taken out of a serious lifters diet. Limiting them is the key (for decreased bodyfat) along with proper choices for carbs that don't have as high of an insulin response. Carb timing pre/post workout is best, and I feel they then can be avoided at all others times of the day if you choose but completely depleting glycogen stores for weeks on end for anyone who is remotely serious about lifting is just reeruned.

Buck 03-30-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9541808)
Ummm no, different insulin responses for those completely. And insulin IS an important component of building muscle and carbs should never completely be taken out of a serious lifters diet. Limiting them is the key (for decreased bodyfat) along with proper choices for carbs that don't have as high of an insulin response. Carb timing pre/post workout is best, and I feel they then can be avoided at all others times of the day if you choose but completely depleting glycogen stores for weeks on end for anyone who is remotely serious about lifting is just reeruned.

I think there are much better carbohydrate alternatives than wheat bread. I don't think wheat serves any purpose.

Omaha 04-01-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9541714)

Gee, I wonder why he got dumped?

ThaVirus 04-02-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9546361)
Gee, I wonder why he got dumped?

I could have guessed you'd have something to say about that.

He was actually at 220 when they met and put on 60 pounds while they were dating. Eating out every meal of the day with levels of physical activity approaching Jabba the Hut status will do that to you. Shit, he said she even gained 40 pounds while they were together.

el borracho 04-03-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9374159)
Trying to add deadlifts into my routine this year. Starting out super-light but should know if my back can take it in a month or two.

Deadlifted 255 this morning- pretty pleased with the progress for only doing them two months. Still no pain, except for normal muscle soreness.

Hammock Parties 04-04-2013 12:10 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r2OGpM6HBro?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief 04-04-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 9555468)
Deadlifted 255 this morning- pretty pleased with the progress for only doing them two months. Still no pain, except for normal muscle soreness.

Awesome! My favorite lift. Makes you feel like a freaking man.

Aspengc8 04-04-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9541808)

:thumb:

My only carb sources to Oats, rice & potatoes. Sometimes I'll make my own pizza with 'wheat' dough, doesn't really matter since I load it up with lean ground beef and eat the whole thing. I've never met (nor seen) anyone with a respectable level or strength or physique that built it low carb or paleo. Like you said, Insulin is one of the bodys most anabolic hormones and to avoid it completely is reeruned.

Aspengc8 04-04-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9541822)
I think there are much better carbohydrate alternatives than wheat bread. I don't think wheat serves any purpose.

Well, its broken down to glucose, so it serves a purpose as a energy provider.

The Franchise 04-04-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9550076)
I could have guessed you'd have something to say about that.

He was actually at 220 when they met and put on 60 pounds while they were dating. Eating out every meal of the day with levels of physical activity approaching Jabba the Hut status will do that to you. Shit, he said she even gained 40 pounds while they were together.

The shit happens all of the time.....especially when you introduce kids, jobs and stress.

When I first started dating my wife....I was around 195-200 lbs. After 3 years of marriage and 1 of dating.....plus 3 kids.....I was up to 250.