ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Some ideas for new ongoing games related to football. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204538)

cdcox 03-21-2009 10:47 AM

I'll play.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-21-2009 10:53 AM

You should add IR spots so that injuries won't cause you to drop a star player.

Rain Man 03-21-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5599319)

Are you thinking this would happen during a season, or is this just in the offseason?

One thing I don't like about a lot of fantasy leagues is the whole waiver system where people can go out and get someone like a rookie version of Colston and pick up a star player in midseason, so I'd like to avoid that here. I was thinking that if we go with a 35-player roster, we could have backups, and if all your backups got hurt you'd just have a generic "scrub" in that position for the rest of the season. What do you think?

We could do a waiver system, but I'd prefer to set it up where we don't reward the most active owners and make the system more time-consuming for folks. (Though actually, if we only measure at the end, maybe we could control for that by doing the waivers only at the end of the season before the voting.)

Rain Man 03-21-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5599316)
I'll play.

(High five.)

Rain Man 03-21-2009 11:26 AM

Let's ponder injury ideas. I'll set forth three systems, and what do you think?

System 1. Simple system.

You get who's on your roster. So if your 35 man roster in 2008 included Brodie Croyle and Tom Brady and Damon Huard, at the end of the year when we ranked teams you would have stats something like:

Tom Brady (1 start)
Brodie Croyle (2 starts)
Damon Huard (2 starts)
Scrub (11 starts)

That's what you'd be judged on.

System 2. Natural replacement system.

If your initial 35 man roster in 2008 included Brodie Croyle and Tom Brady and Damon Huard, then when Brady went down you could pick up an UNCLAIMED backup player on the same NFL team only. So over the course of the year, you would replace Brady with Cassel, Croyle with Thigpen, and Huard with Gray. At the end of the year, you would pick your best lineup and probably end up something like

Tom Brady (1 start)
Matt Cassel (15 starts)

That's what you'd be judged on.

This system would be a little more complicated because we'd have to monitor who was unclaimed and have a weekly waiver wire or something, in case two players were eligible to pick up the same guy. There might be some salary cap adjustments too.

System 3. True waiver system.

This would work like the traditional system, where you could pick up any unclaimed player if your player was placed on injured reserve.

It would take a little more work on the waiver tracking side. I'm not really a fan of this, though, because people would end up wanting someone like Leinert to get hurt so they could pick up Cassel.

I guess this system could be combined with a regular performance-based waivers system too, but it would again require active management, whereas I'm hoping for a more low-effort management system.

What do y'all think?

Oh, and this would apply to the NFL systems, not the Chiefs game in Option 1.

milkman 03-21-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5599297)
Awesome. This could be a blast.

If you (or any other potential players) can think of any holes in the system I've proposed, feel free to point it out. I'd hate to get into it and realize we overlooked something and have to change midstream.

I'd play, but trying to read through that whole thing makes my head hurt.

Decide on the game, create the rules, and I'm in.

One question, though.

How many years will this game take?

I think the Chiefs might actually win a SB before a winner in this game is decided.

Rain Man 03-21-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5599379)
I'd play, but trying to read through that whole thing makes my head hurt.

Decide on the game, create the rules, and I'm in.

One question, though.

How many years will this game take?

I think the Chiefs might actually win a SB before a winner in this game is decided.

Cool. If we have sufficient demand, I'll write up the formal rules. My goal is for this to be a pretty easy-to-play game, and I think we can do that.

In terms of "winning", my real goal would be that it's an ongoing thing where the franchises continue year after year. As players eventually drop out, I think we'd be able to find new players to replace them, and it would get more interesting over time as teams diverged.

AustinChief 03-21-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5599389)
Cool. If we have sufficient demand, I'll write up the formal rules. My goal is for this to be a pretty easy-to-play game, and I think we can do that.

In terms of "winning", my real goal would be that it's an ongoing thing where the franchises continue year after year. As players eventually drop out, I think we'd be able to find new players to replace them, and it would get more interesting over time as teams diverged.

One you have the rules in place, I can look at programming a VB module to track individuals teams.

patteeu 03-21-2009 01:33 PM

I'd definitely play the Alternate Chiefs Reality game, but I don't think I'd want to invest the effort to get familiar with other team's rosters to play the NFL options. And while I'd probably start by following along in the NFL versions, I'm sure I'd lose interest and ignore it after a while.

Crush 03-21-2009 01:57 PM

I'm in.

bdeg 03-21-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5599319)

If you ask me, we shouldn't grade on stats. If Tom Brady gets injured, just don't drop him. CP still knows he's good, and could vote accordingly.

I'm so in. Any and all.

patteeu 03-21-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeg (Post 5599594)
If you ask me, we shouldn't grade on stats. If Tom Brady gets injured, just don't drop him. CP still knows he's good, and could vote accordingly.

I'm so in. Any and all.

I agree.

cdcox 03-21-2009 03:40 PM

You're gonna need some rules about rosters, to keep people from loading up on high visibility skill positions.

bdeg 03-21-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5599665)
You're gonna need some rules about rosters, to keep people from loading up on high visibility skill positions.

Good point, like you have to be able to field a starting lineup. Probably minus K's/P's? I don't know if anyone cares about them.

I'm willing to help too, I'll take a closer look at the rules you've set up when I get off work.

Ultra Peanut 03-21-2009 04:40 PM

Fun ideas, but why not just get everyone playing FOF against each other?