ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I ****ing hate cigarettes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277058)

MTG#10 10-05-2013 04:35 PM

I ****ing hate cigarettes

My mom calls me about a week ago and pretty much goes off on me because she hasn't seen my kids since March. I tried to explain to her like I have a hundred times before that we dont come around much because I can't stand her cigarette smoke infested house. She acts like Im crazy and honestly believes its not that harmful. She lives in a small two bedroom house, refuses to open the windows, and the smoke is so thick you can see clouds of it all over the house. If I ask her to air it out before we come and not smoke while we're there she pulls the old "when you pay my rent I'll stop smoking" card.

As a kid growing up I had a lot of health problems that pretty much ended about a year after I moved out on my own. I remember being embarrassed at church because my clothes smelled like I had just walked out of a bar all the time. My friends used to give me shit about it too and nobody ever wanted to come over because of it...that's how bad it was/is.

So feeling bad I took the kids today and stayed for an hour (couldn't handle anymore). Now I have the worst migraine Ive ever had and I can still taste the shit in the back of my throat. I love my mom to death, and my kids love their grandma but I don't know what else to do. How do you convince a 72 year old woman set in her ways and that's been smoking since she was a teenager the shit is toxic to us? I dont want to miss out on her last years, and I dont want her to miss her grand kids growing up but I also cant handle her disgusting habit.

stlchiefs 10-05-2013 04:36 PM

Meet her somewhere besides the smokehouse?

cdcox 10-05-2013 04:37 PM

Install a bathroom fan in her house.

MTG#10 10-05-2013 04:38 PM

She doesn't drive, and won't leave her house except for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 10049219)
Install a bathroom fan in her house.

I knew that was coming :D

BlackHelicopters 10-05-2013 04:38 PM

Not to be an asshole, but the diagnosis usually ends the smoking. Usually.

CrazyPhuD 10-05-2013 04:41 PM

Replace all her cigarettes with joints. Then even if she smokes around you at least it won't be toxic like cigarettes

wazu 10-05-2013 04:42 PM

Sell her on the e-cig if you can.

MTG#10 10-05-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 10049230)
Sell her on the e-cig if you can.

She tried it, acted like it was great then went back. Lasted about 3 weeks.

Fairplay 10-05-2013 04:44 PM

Munson 10-05-2013 04:46 PM

Convince her to smoke outside.

LoneWolf 10-05-2013 04:50 PM

How far of a drive is it from your house to her house? Could you pick her up and bring her over to your house?

Ace Gunner 10-05-2013 04:50 PM

sorry to hear about this -- is this her?
http://outsideperception.files.wordp...-the-train.jpg

Mr. Wizard 10-05-2013 04:51 PM

Send her this post. This is not only about you but your kids as well. At that age a smoker is prepared to die of lung cancer. She will NOT change. So, if you love her and she loves your kids, you need to draw a line, she can see them or you anytime she wants, without smoke.
Smokers don't understand that smoking harms others worse than it harms them;

our bodies are not numb to nicotine and carcinogens
we are breathing non filtered smoke they are breathing filtered smoke
we are trying to keep our children from starting a killing habit

if you don't draw the line for the sake of your children who will

good luck for the sake of your kids

Prison Bitch 10-05-2013 04:51 PM

Her decisions are hers. You can't change them. Decide if you want to be around the smoke or not. If no, stop seeing her. It was her decision not yours, do not feel bad.

vailpass 10-05-2013 04:52 PM

This thread makes me want to go outside for a smoke...