ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

NewChief 10-16-2015 10:57 AM

About finished with Robogenesis (sequel to Robopocalypse). The author's done a pretty good job of extending the story and putting a new twiist on it. Probably the most interesting part of it is that it's really playing with the Judeo-Christian apocalypse mythos. In some ways, it feels a lot like the Stand in the way it's setting things up.

underEJ 10-16-2015 11:39 AM

I'm excited to start Seveneves next, but I am really enjoying Skullcrack City by Jeremy Robert Johnson. I've read some of his other work, specifically We Live Inside You, and the creativity he owns is damned impressive. Chuck Palahniuk calls him "a dazzling writer." I'd have to agree. To say it's about brain eating monsters is factual, but misses the heady social commentary. To call it a brilliant study of power, motivation, corruption, and the search for an edge is also factual, but completely misses how insanely fun it is.

I enjoy the bizarro fiction genre and I want all of it to be this good, but I find some of it to be empty. Jeremy Robert Johnson is so insanely good he rises out of the genre to literature.

NewChief 10-16-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 11806597)
I'm excited to start Seveneves next, but I am really enjoying Skullcrack City by Jeremy Robert Johnson. I've read some of his other work, specifically We Live Inside You, and the creativity he owns is damned impressive. Chuck Palahniuk calls him "a dazzling writer." I'd have to agree. To say it's about brain eating monsters is factual, but misses the heady social commentary. To call it a brilliant study of power, motivation, corruption, and the search for an edge is also factual, but completely misses how insanely fun it is.

I enjoy the bizarro fiction genre and I want all of it to be this good, but I find some of it to be empty. Jeremy Robert Johnson is so insanely good he rises out of the genre to literature.

Seveneves is fantastic. I hope there is a sequel.

Joe Seahawk 10-16-2015 02:03 PM

Just finished Boys in the boat, couldn't put it down!
http://www.danieljamesbrown.com/images/book.png

Rausch 10-29-2015 08:10 AM

Almost done with "One Second After" about a surprise EMP attack on the US of A.

Very down to earth take on what would happen if we were blasted by an EMP. Takes place in a small town that really shows the day to day impact such an event would have and ignores politics/religious arguments.

Only about 3/4ths through but it's really well done and dirt cheap on amazon.

Scroll down for reviews...

Fire Me Boy! 05-21-2016 12:10 PM

Can anyone personally suggest a book about or set during the Salem Witch Trials?

vailpass 05-21-2016 12:25 PM

I just finished Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Probably not for everyone's taste but it was a pretty good read. Amazon description below but as usual there is more to the story than the jacket description.

Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out–with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes–to breed their own exhibit of human oddities.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-21-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 12239791)
I just finished Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Probably not for everyone's taste but it was a pretty good read. Amazon description below but as usual there is more to the story than the jacket description.

Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out–with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes–to breed their own exhibit of human oddities.

Heh. I read that in grad school.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-21-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12239773)
Can anyone personally suggest a book about or set during the Salem Witch Trials?

Errr, The Crucible.

rico 05-21-2016 01:07 PM

I am currently reading "Reach for the Stars" by Dan McCool.

vailpass 05-21-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12239844)
Heh. I read that in grad school.

What did you think? I thought it was a good enough read with some interesting character sketches.

Fire Me Boy! 05-21-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 12239847)
Errr, The Crucible.

I read that in HS.

Mennonite 05-21-2016 03:54 PM

Just finished "The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements." Good stuff.

Next: "Innumeracy - Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences"

vailpass 05-21-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12240127)
I read that in HS.

You might have mentioned that when you were asking.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-27-2017 12:06 PM

Reading The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Totally blown away. Just beautiful writing. I'm a big China Mieville fan and heard him refer to Wolfe as the greatest living author. Had to read him after that. I'll go on to read The Book of the Long Sun and The Book of the Short Sun after I wrap up New Sun but I need some recommendations for something after that.

Short list is:

Seveneves, Anathem, The Diamond Age by N Stephenson
Gormenghast by M Peake
Iron Council, The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville
American Gods by N Gaiman
Soldier of the Mist by Gene Wolfe
Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
Suttree by Cormac McCarthy

There's probably another 30 I could add to my "short" list, but those are at the top. I'm also a re-reader. I'd like to go back and hit Iain Banks, Peter Watts, and William Gibson again soon. Recommendations?