ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games MLB The Show 2013 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271005)

lewdog 03-11-2013 06:34 PM

MLB The Show 2013

I know a few of us have it so I thought we could have a thread for it so we don't clog up the KC Royals actual baseball thread.

I am still trying to figure out the settings to play on for some success instead of getting extremely frustrated. Feel free to post your thoughts on the gameplay or use this thread to ask questions.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/22...8746-media.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/22...8749-media.jpg

Captain Obvious 03-11-2013 06:39 PM

Francoeur is rated higher than Hosmer? Yikes. Hell, so is Getz...

lewdog 03-11-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 9486607)
Francoeur is rated higher than Hosmer? Yikes. Hell, so is Getz...

Yea they really took it to Hosmer and Moose when you look at some of the others!

jd1020 03-11-2013 06:44 PM

Worth the upgrade from '10?

EDIT: Might get it simply because they finally changed the damn announcers.

lewdog 03-11-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9486622)
Worth the upgrade from '10?

EDIT: Might get it simply because they finally changed the damn announcers.

OUR TIME!

Kidd Lex 03-11-2013 08:43 PM

The game is a HUGE step forward from 10, but Matty V is still in the booth. Steve Lyons is in the booth too, but he just reads the same lines soup used to.

The rankings for players are set up on a 3 year trend, with the last year weighing the most towards the overall. In Francours case, his decent year in 2011 and arm strength ratings are probably inflating his overall.

Honestly if you like baseball even a little, you will love this game.

lewdog 03-11-2013 09:18 PM

Jesus, do all of you play the entire spring training schedule!? I mean, **** word, it will be June before I get to mid-season with all those games but I don't want to decrease my player's training rating by not actually playing those games.

Kidd Lex 03-11-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9487100)
Jesus, do all of you play the entire spring training schedule!? I mean, **** word, it will be June before I get to mid-season with all those games but I don't want to decrease my player's training rating by not actually playing those games.

They will train even if you sim through. Btw, make sure to concentrate on one area when you train, you get a better all around boost that way.

mr. tegu 03-12-2013 08:13 AM

The one thing I hate about sports games is losing. I used to always just restart a game if I was going to lose. With that said, is there an option to sim the rest of a game after I have started and am getting beat but don't want to finish the game just to finish it? I can't just sit there and play knowing I am going to lose.

Mama Hip Rockets 03-12-2013 09:30 AM

I'm glad they're doing the number rating system this year. Looks pretty reasonable for the most part, other than Francouer being rated too high.

Mama Hip Rockets 03-12-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9487876)
The one thing I hate about sports games is losing. I used to always just restart a game if I was going to lose. With that said, is there an option to sim the rest of a game after I have started and am getting beat but don't want to finish the game just to finish it? I can't just sit there and play knowing I am going to lose.

Wow. What a pansy.

Kidd Lex 03-12-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Yes, you can fast sim, or even manager only sim mode, at any point of the game.

Kraus 03-12-2013 11:37 AM

I'm waiting on the first sale on this game where it is sub $45 - then it is mine.

alnorth 03-12-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

It might bother me if I was already good at the game, but right now I need so much work on hitting, that I just continue on and practice my ball/strike recognition.

That said, I did have a big near-comeback, I was losing by 6 after 6 innings, but in the 8th inning I got on a roll and in the 9th inning I had the go-ahead run at first base before their closer finally shut me down.

lewdog 03-12-2013 07:49 PM

I switched to timing hitting after getting completely owned on zone hitting. I try to use the guess pitch option to light the zone up with the timing option if I guess correctly. I pitch on veteran using the meter. The Rangers still managed to score 5-7 runs in spring training games against me though.

I am so inpatient at hitting. I doubt I will ever draw a walk.

alnorth 03-12-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9490906)
I switched to timing hitting after getting completely owned on zone hitting. I try to use the guess pitch option to light the zone up with the timing option if I guess correctly. I pitch on veteran using the meter. The Rangers still managed to score 5-7 runs in spring training games against me though.

I am so inpatient at hitting. I doubt I will ever draw a walk.

I'd suggest that you stop using the guess pitch feature, unless you find it too fun to stop. If you guess wrong, you get a contact penalty.

I used to think I never, ever would walk, but now I draw two or three walks a game. I've fully embraced the philosophy that if they give me three strikes then I shouldn't feel bad about using all of them. If I let a pitch go down the middle, well crap. Oh well, I still have 2 more strikes. Obviously if its 0-2 or 1-2, you gotta protect the plate until you see an obvious ball.

alnorth 03-12-2013 09:39 PM

My strategy now is if I face a good starter, I will try to take 3 pitches the first time through the order (if I'm 0-2, I'll protect the plate), and the first pitch the second time. I'll randomly decide to look for a first-pitch strike to swing at once the first time and twice the second time. (if you always take the first pitch then the computer will start pumping in first-pitch strikes, so you gotta mix it up and let the CPU know that you just might swing at the first pitch) If its 0-1 or 0-2, the odds of a ball are very high (but they still sometimes throw 3 strikes). Sometimes I have to remind myself "ok, don't swing at this dude's crap"

The reason is that if you are facing someone like Sabathia or Verlander, it is very, very important to get them out of the game as quickly as you can. Relief pitchers (other than elite closers) are a hell of a lot easier to hit than good starters. When I'm facing some of Detroit's good pitchers, I try to be annoying as hell, working deep counts and fouling off pitches. Yeah, you may strike me out a lot, but I'll hopefully kill your bullpen in the 7th or 8th.

If I'm facing a bad starter, then I just take the first pitch the first time through.

alnorth 03-12-2013 09:56 PM

This may be amusing for some, during the 4th game of my season, Chris Getz got hurt. After the game, I was informed that he broke his leg and would be out 2-3 months. I was like "ok, I guess I'll bring up Gio". The Royals cant really afford an injury, but at 2B we can easily take a hit.

Ceej 03-12-2013 10:25 PM

I usually buy MLB2K and I enjoy it like, the first few weeks.

Then I get really bored with it.

I'm a goddamned video game hoarder.

:(

TinyEvel 03-13-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraus (Post 9488494)
I'm waiting on the first sale on this game where it is sub $45 - then it is mine.

Guru, quit hacking Kraus's account. :cuss:

alnorth 03-14-2013 12:00 AM

quick game report: After a loss to the Rays, I started a game against the hated White Sox, who I was tied at the top of the AL Central with. Bruce Chen against a guy they brought up from the minors, figured OK thats interesting, they might score a little on me, but I bet I can get him.

That damned pitcher (forget his name) kept getting out of jams. I had 10 hits by the 8th inning with no runs to show for it. In the 9th I was down 3-zip with Chen having exited in the 7th, I hit 2 doubles and with the score 3-1, they finally pulled their starter after 105+ pitches for the closer. Then, rather than struggle like usual, I got on a roll, he blew the save, we're off to the 10th tied at 3. I used a lot of pitchers but Herrera was fresh and good to go, he shut them down in the 10th, they got out of a 1-out man on 1st and 2nd jam, then in the 11th Herrera rocked and rolled again and with a guy on second, I bunted him over, next guy struck out, so 2 outs with man on 3rd. Routine grounder to pitcher, and he threw it away into right field, I won on a walk-off error.

lewdog 03-14-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9496322)
quick game report: After a loss to the Rays, I started a game against the hated White Sox, who I was tied at the top of the AL Central with. Bruce Chen against a guy they brought up from the minors, figured OK thats interesting, they might score a little on me, but I bet I can get him.

That damned pitcher (forget his name) kept getting out of jams. I had 10 hits by the 8th inning with no runs to show for it. In the 9th I was down 3-zip with Chen having exited in the 7th, I hit 2 doubles and with the score 3-1, they finally pulled their starter after 105+ pitches for the closer. Then, rather than struggle like usual, I got on a roll, he blew the save, we're off to the 10th tied at 3. I used a lot of pitchers but Herrera was fresh and good to go, he shut them down in the 10th, they got out of a 1-out man on 1st and 2nd jam, then in the 11th Herrera rocked and rolled again and with a guy on second, I bunted him over, next guy struck out, so 2 outs with man on 3rd. Routine grounder to pitcher, and he threw it away into right field, I won on a walk-off error.

Throw a Suck It!

And Herrera is awesome to use. Hard for people to catch up to his fastball on the corners.

mr. tegu 03-14-2013 07:59 PM

I think my favorite thing about maybe getting this game is that I can play with the Royals and they won't be full of lousy players. I wonder if sports games suffer in sales in cities that have lousy teams...

Fansy the Famous Bard 03-19-2013 09:03 AM

I've played about 10 games now without drawing a walk... I'll go 3-0 and then they paint the edges 3+ pitches in a row... ridiculous!

Mecca 03-19-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9513246)
I've played about 10 games now without drawing a walk... I'll go 3-0 and then they paint the edges 3+ pitches in a row... ridiculous!

Getting walks usually requires a custom slider set from operation sports forums, otherwise you'll get close and they'll pepper the zone.
Posted via Mobile Device

lewdog 03-19-2013 08:22 PM

If anyone wants to boost their online playing stats you should try to play me. Man I kind of blow!

Dayze 03-19-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9514922)
If anyone wants to boost their online playing stats you should try to play me. Man I kind of blow!

you 'kinda blow'?

No way Clay is paying full price for it then.

Walrus 03-20-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9513246)

Are you using modified sliders?

lewdog 03-28-2013 09:23 PM

Just started my season after playing a few of the spring games to get a better feel for the game. Pitched 7 shutout innings with Shields and threw 8 k's. Hardest thing for me is advancing individual base runners.

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-01-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walrus (Post 9517499)
Are you using modified sliders?

I wasn't, no.

Does anyone have a really good Franchise roster with minor leaguers populated they have found online yet and used?

OmahaChief 04-01-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9546129)
I wasn't, no.

Does anyone have a really good Franchise roster with minor leaguers populated they have found online yet and used?

It should be available soon from the guys over at Operation Sports. Check their 2013 Forum for details but it sounds like it could be in the next few days.

lewdog 04-01-2013 07:31 PM

Well I started my MLB season with a sweep of the Sox. 10-0 game one, then switched to veteran. Then 7-5 and 3-1. I am not great at the game but I feel veteran is ok for my hitting right now but I am much better at pitching than veteran level. I got 9 K's with Paulino in 6.2 innings, lol! I might need to adjust the sliders up a level so the CPU hitters are a little better against me.

Mama Hip Rockets 04-04-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9499504)
And Herrera is awesome to use. Hard for people to catch up to his fastball on the corners.

Yes. Herrera is totally awesome.

OmahaChief 04-05-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9546129)
I wasn't, no.

It is now available in the roster vault. Look for O.S.F.M roster or sort by most downloaded and it is the first one.

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-06-2013 08:28 AM

thanks omaha

lewdog 04-07-2013 12:24 PM

I cannot drive the ball to the opposite field for the life of me! I feel like I wait ages on pitches, but either I am still early and pull everything or I am too late and miss the pitch.

Kidd Lex 04-07-2013 06:25 PM

Lewdog have you tried laying the game with timing and auto fielding on? With the animations and the way baseball is a game of numbers, it is the absolute best way to enjoy the show. Add classic pitching, and it's gaming heaven. You will start getting more random hits including oppo field.

lewdog 04-07-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 9566027)
Lewdog have you tried laying the game with timing and auto fielding on? With the animations and the way baseball is a game of numbers, it is the absolute best way to enjoy the show. Add classic pitching, and it's gaming heaven. You will start getting more random hits including oppo field.

Yea I switched to timing as zone hitting was just plain stupid. I don't have it on auto-fielding but assisted fielding.

I have really come around hitting the ball but I have just noticed that I am always early on pitches and everything seems to always be pulled. Sucks when I have a righty up and man on second and I want to slap it opposite field but I just continue to pull it. Might just take more work I guess as I already play on timing.

Really is an awesome game though. Haven't been this into a video game in years.

Kidd Lex 04-07-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9566136)
Yea I switched to timing as zone hitting was just plain stupid. I don't have it on auto-fielding but assisted fielding.

I have really come around hitting the ball but I have just noticed that I am always early on pitches and everything seems to always be pulled. Sucks when I have a righty up and man on second and I want to slap it opposite field but I just continue to pull it. Might just take more work I guess as I already play on timing.

Really is an awesome game though. Haven't been this into a video game in years.

I highly recommend the auto fielding, the games fielding aspect is by far the weakest point, and with auto on it just opens up the animations and flow of the game. Hitting oppo is rather tough, you have to be very patient obviously.

Do you earn many walks?

lewdog 04-07-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The God Hypothesis (Post 9566147)
I highly recommend the auto fielding, the games fielding aspect is by far the weakest point, and with auto on it just opens up the animations and flow of the game. Hitting oppo is rather tough, you have to be very patient obviously.

Do you earn many walks?

Ok good suggestion, I might try that.

Maybe one walk a game. Never two. lol. I also play on Veteran so maybe they lace more pitches down the middles since the playing level is lower?

SnakeXJones 04-07-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9566163)
Ok good suggestion, I might try that.

Maybe one walk a game. Never two. lol. I also play on Veteran so maybe they lace more pitches down the middles since the playing level is lower?

TNK Sliders are pretty damn good

Wyatt Earp 04-07-2013 07:17 PM

These are the sliders I've been using. Auto fielding, classic pitching, timed hitting.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...m-sliders.html

Kidd Lex 04-07-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 9566216)
These are the sliders I've been using. Auto fielding, classic pitching, timed hitting.

Yes these are how I play to the very last detail. Easily the best sports game of all time, especially with these sliders, settings, and OSFM rosters.

lewdog 04-07-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 9566216)

Thanks, easy to see it laid out like that.

I don't know if I am ready for all-star yet. :(

Wyatt Earp 04-07-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9566400)
Thanks, easy to see it laid out like that.

I don't know if I am ready for all-star yet. :(

Try the hybrid veteran hitting sliders that are at the end of that first post. That's what I use. I don't like the timing window on all-star.

lewdog 04-07-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 9566426)
Try the hybrid veteran hitting sliders that are at the end of that first post. That's what I use. I don't like the timing window on all-star.

Ooohhhh I missed that. That looks great. I will definitely do that. Thanks for helping out. Reps.

Wyatt Earp 04-07-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9566434)
Ooohhhh I missed that. That looks great. I will definitely do that. Thanks for helping out. Reps.

Glad to help. I've been using them for my RTTS player as well. But I've bumped up the Human contact, power, solid hits and timing back up to 5 until I get my attributes higher. Otherwise it's no fun.

lewdog 04-21-2013 04:25 PM

I am 10 games into the season and on of the "coaches" said Cain was tired and could use a day off. I stuck Dyson in his spot. And what does he do???....First at bat he pulls a ball down the right field line that gets out over the wall right along the white foul line but so short that it goes right under the foul poll! If I would have hit is any shorter or more right it wouldn't have been a homer. He was player of the game for that sweet dinger.

ROFL

Sanka 05-01-2013 08:19 PM

Just got the game today. It sucks! Please bring back MVP Baseball

kcxiv 05-01-2013 08:24 PM

baseball and football games are ****ing stale right now. NBA is on the up and up, i dont play hockey so cant comment on that sport. I hear its good though.

Sanka 05-01-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9650595)
baseball and football games are ****ing stale right now. NBA is on the up and up, i dont play hockey so cant comment on that sport. I hear its good though.

Hate the NBA so I will never buy that nonsense. Thought I was going to retire NHL 13 for the Show. Needed a new game since GTAV has been pushed back 'til the fall. And yes, NHL13 is amazing. Baseball games have sucked since EA stopped making them. Never played the NCAA MVP version, but I would settle for that at this point. EA had baseball right just dont know what it is, but after 1 game of the Show Ill be looking to sell it.

Nightfyre 05-17-2013 04:29 PM

I've been playing the RTTS mode on this game. Made a RF, made the 25 man roster after one year, but haven't cracked the starting lineup. I've struggled with the transition from AAA to the MLB though. Anyone got any hitting tips?

jd1020 05-17-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9689257)
I've been playing the RTTS mode on this game. Made a RF, made the 25 man roster after one year, but haven't cracked the starting lineup. I've struggled with the transition from AAA to the MLB though. Anyone got any hitting tips?

Since your contact and power is probably pretty terrible still since you only spent 1 year down in the minors I would probably look at everything unless its right down the middle or you have 2 strikes.

Nightfyre 05-17-2013 06:13 PM

what is good contact and power? I'm at 73/86 for contact/power both left and right.

Mama Hip Rockets 05-18-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanka (Post 9650560)
Just got the game today. It sucks! Please bring back MVP Baseball

Uh...no. It does not suck.

lewdog 05-23-2013 08:57 PM

Only way I can see the Royals win....MLB the Show.

Still love this game.

Imon Yourside 05-25-2013 08:48 AM

I have the Vita version, I started in the Royals org hit 616 with over 100 homers in double A my first year. Never got called up and eventually traded to the Braves. Just finished Spring Training in the Majors and hoping the dumbass game will let me stay in the pros. More than likely it was just the Royals making stupid decisions. I deliberately chose 2nd base because the Royals obviously need one and they stated I was ready to be called up but Chris Getz was just too awesome.

mcan 05-26-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9708349)
I have the Vita version, I started in the Royals org hit 616 with over 100 homers in double A my first year. Never got called up and eventually traded to the Braves. Just finished Spring Training in the Majors and hoping the dumbass game will let me stay in the pros. More than likely it was just the Royals making stupid decisions. I deliberately chose 2nd base because the Royals obviously need one and they stated I was ready to be called up but Chris Getz was just too awesome.

Take less money. Always take the min, since it doesn't matter anyway, and helps you ZERO amount in the game. Just keeps you better and CHEAPER than the Chris Getzes of the world. :)

mcan 05-26-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9689297)
Since your contact and power is probably pretty terrible still since you only spent 1 year down in the minors I would probably look at everything unless its right down the middle or you have 2 strikes.

It's been my experience that you get thrown more strikes when your contact and those other less specific attributes are really low (patience/discipline/whatever)... When those are low, pitchers apparently don't think you'll do very well with balls over the plate, so they bring it. Which means, it's REALLY hard to take walks early in your career. They seem to be painting the black all the time. The truth is, they're grooving balls to a weak hitter, and missing by a few inches (which is the black). You'll stike out looking if you're not aggressive early in your career. Once you have some attributes up, the pitchers will be afraid to pitch you down the middle, and you'll be able to draw more walks.

Imon Yourside 05-27-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9709904)
Take less money. Always take the min, since it doesn't matter anyway, and helps you ZERO amount in the game. Just keeps you better and CHEAPER than the Chris Getzes of the world. :)

I signed for minimum, it was the Royals. The Braves have me on their roster to start the season, so I guess the game is INCREDIBLY realistic.

lewdog 06-02-2013 06:00 PM

Wondering how soon I can put someone on the trade block?

I am only through April in my franchise season and I have Frenchy at a respectable .305, 3 HR, and 12 rbis. Since I despise him in real life, I want to trade him but don't want putting a player on the trading block so early messing up my team chemistry. Currently I sit at 16-7.