ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports 2013-2014 Official NBA Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275118)

KevB 05-22-2014 11:26 AM

The CEO Levien and asst GM Stu Lash were both let go. Weird situation. Both guys are former agents and are tight. Levien is actually the guy that put the ownership group together to buy the team from Heisley. Robert Pera is the "lead" owner, with roughly 25% ownership and apparently the guy that wanted Levien and Lash out. Levien also has a stake in the team. John Hollinger, formerly of ESPN, was also a part of the brain trust and to date hasn't been let go. Joeger was a Levien guy I believe, so it sounds like he wants out and they want him out. But, they haven't fired him.

Meanwhile, Chris Wallace, the former GM who was still on the payroll (but hadn't been in the team offices in a year) is now back as the interim guy in charge of basketball operations.

No matter the reasons, this is bad for Grizzly basketball. Upheaval at this point (right before the draft and decisions on free agency) is never a good thing.

KevB 05-22-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10645041)
According to ESPN, only the CEO and GM positions have been shaken up in Memphis. The Wolves had to ask permission from the team to interview Joerger, meaning he's still under contract with Memphis.

I'd be shocked if picks were involved. I'd guess it's a little bit of cash.

KC_Connection 05-22-2014 11:45 AM

Why is Memphis doing this again? They just won 50 games without Gasol playing a 1/4 of the season and never really being himself even when he did play. They have a real championship contender there if they just get their shit together and make the right moves.

Direckshun 05-22-2014 11:48 AM

Hell, if Randolph isn't suspended in game seven, they might have beaten the Thunder.

Direckshun 05-22-2014 11:52 AM

The NBA has rigged three of the last four drafts for Cleveland.

Interesting choice, the NBA really does not want the Cavs to sink. They gave them three #1 overall picks after LeBron leaves, and are basically begging Irving to stay.

ChiefsCountry 05-22-2014 11:55 AM

The Cavs are a ****ing stupid franchise anyways they will piss it away anyways.

RustShack 05-22-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10645206)
The Cavs are a ****ing stupid franchise anyways they will piss it away anyways.

It's kind of hard to piss it away this year, there weren't any elite prospects their other two years... There are three this year. A lot of people thought Kyle Williams was the best player the year they took freshman Irving who was hurt the entire year. Jury is still out on Bennett, he didn't benefit from a coach who doesn't like playing young players or knows how to play to players strengths. All he cared about was defense, not all the offensive fire power he had.

I love our new GM, and in stoked because I'm very confident he will bring in a coach who can actually use all the talent we have.

RealSNR 05-22-2014 12:26 PM

Joerger is about to be Minnesota's coach, it looks like.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. Andy Reid coaches the Arizona Cardinals. You don't have to remind me.

Quote:

The Minnesota Timberwolves have made "significant progress" in their attempt to hire Dave Joerger away from the Memphis Grizzlies to be their new coach, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that although compensation details with the Grizzlies have to be worked out, Minnesota's fast-moving bid to make Joerger its next coach is gathering momentum.

Dave Joerger led the Grizzlies to a 50-32 record in his first season as the team's coach. Memphis lost in the first round of the playoffs to Oklahoma City.
The Wolves are restricted to offering draft picks and/or cash to Memphis to free Joerger from his contract with the Grizzlies. But one source said Thursday that Joerger landing in his home state with the Wolves is "the way this thing is headed."

The Grizzlies this week granted the Wolves permission to interview Joerger in the wake of a management shakeup that resulted in the twin ousters of Memphis CEO Jason Levien and assistant general manager Stu Lash.

ESPN.com reported Monday that one of the triggers in the breakdown between Grizzlies owner Robert Pera and Levien -- who helped broker Pera's purchase of the team from the late Michael Heisley in June 2012 -- centered on Pera's dissatisfaction with Joerger. Sources say Pera contemplated firing Joerger early in his first season but was ultimately talked out of it, after which Memphis rallied from a slow start and Marc Gasol's knee injury to win 50 games and finish seventh in the hypercompetitive West.

Joerger is a proud Minnesota native with long-standing ties to Wolves president and part-owner Flip Saunders, having relied on Saunders as a mentor when he broke into coaching.

Joerger and former Wolves forward Sam Mitchell have been widely identified as Saunders' top two candidates in the wake of Minnesota's unsuccessful attempts to persuade any of a trio of marquee college coaches -- Michigan State's Tom Izzo, Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg or Florida's Billy Donovan -- to show interest in the job.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...-joerger-coach

I hope KevB is right and it's cash only. It does little good to trade away a star player and only to compromise their draft stock on a coach.

We've got 3 second round picks in the 2014 draft. Maybe if picks are involved we could get away with sending one or two of those over to Memphis.

ChiefsCountry 05-22-2014 12:37 PM

By the way Golden State would be the trade partner I would look to if I was Minnesota for Love.

okcchief 05-22-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10645249)
Joerger is about to be Minnesota's coach, it looks like.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. Andy Reid coaches the Arizona Cardinals. You don't have to remind me.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...-joerger-coach

I hope KevB is right and it's cash only. It does little good to trade away a star player and only to compromise their draft stock on a coach.

We've got 3 second round picks in the 2014 draft. Maybe if picks are involved we could get away with sending one or two of those over to Memphis.

I thought he did a pretty good job. Of course KevB would know better than I.

KevB 05-23-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 10646305)
I thought he did a pretty good job. Of course KevB would know better than I.

He showed a willingness to alter his scheme to fit the roster early in the season. Not many first year coaches would be able to make that work. He also gets most of the credit for their defense the last several years. I like the guy, but there's just something going on in the org that I believe doesn't have much to do with on court performance.

okcchief 05-23-2014 11:15 AM

http://dailythunder.com/2014/05/serg...h-calf-injury/

Don't think it makes a difference because I believe San Antonio is just a better team even with Ibaka. Might make the games watchable again though.

RealSNR 05-25-2014 06:43 PM

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/0...ng-in-memphis/

****. I was starting to really really like the idea of Joerger as coach, even with the compensation.

I just don't think anybody's going to come aboard until they know what's up with Love. We're not going to attract guys like Lionel Hollins or Scott Skiles with this shit**** of a situation hanging over us. Really, I don't even think we could attract desperate garbage coaches like Mike Brown or Byron Scott who nobody wants.

Love's just gotta go. Get the trade done sooner rather than later. We really need an experienced guy if the team wants to take the next step.