ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports 2013-2014 Official NBA Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275118)

Shogun 10-29-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 10137179)
I am excited for the season to start and I was going to make all kinds of predictions but the other night I saw Oden highlights and figured why bother. If he stays healthy and that is a big if the Heat are going to 3-peat. Of course that depends on Lebron staying healthy as well which I fully expect him to be and I expect him to be even better this year.

I will make one prediction in that I think the MVP will be Derrick Rose. We all know Lebron is the best player in the world but I think if Rose plays like he has in the preseason I think he will win it.

As far as my Celtics go it is going to be a long season but I think they will compete for a playoff spot if Rondo comes back early enough.

Yep. Unfortunately. I'd rather us tank the whole year and get in the lottery but whatever is fine, Its gonna be a tough year of watching but it will be fun to see some of the young guys develop and grow. I think Rondo will be ahead of schedule and once he comes back, We'll go as far as he can take us. And I have a good feeling that Most improved player of the year is going to go to Mr. Jeff Green.

KC native 10-29-2013 07:31 AM

GO SPURS GO!

tecumseh 10-29-2013 07:39 AM

Pacers take the East.

dirk digler 10-29-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10137185)
Yep. Unfortunately. I'd rather us tank the whole year and get in the lottery but whatever is fine, Its gonna be a tough year of watching but it will be fun to see some of the young guys develop and grow. I think Rondo will be ahead of schedule and once he comes back, We'll go as far as he can take us. And I have a good feeling that Most improved player of the year is going to go to Mr. Jeff Green.

I thought it was interesting that Ainge said a while back he doesn't see a franchise type guy in the draft.

Quote:

“If Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was out there to change your franchise forever, or Tim Duncan was going to change your franchise for 15 years? That might be a different story,” said Ainge. “I don’t see that player out there.”

Shogun 10-29-2013 07:57 AM

I disagree with Ainge. I think that between Wiggings/Jabari/Randle, one of them (at least) will end up becoming a franchise type player. However the jury is still out on that, But I think there are a big handful of guys in this draft that you can get in the latter part of the lottery that can come in next year and immediately contribute positively and become very solid players. I just hope that we don't get outside of the lottery and have a completely meh season and shitty draft position. I'd take another Antoine Walker in a heartbeat! :D

Shogun 10-29-2013 11:08 AM

interesting partial article on an NBA GM tanking.

Quote:

OUR TEAM ISN'T good enough to win and we know it. So this season we want to develop and evaluate our young players, let them learn from their mistakes -- and get us in position to grab a great player. The best way for us to do that is to lose a lot of games. This draft is loaded. There are potential All-Stars at the top, maybe even franchise changers. Sometimes my job is to understand the value of losing.
I know that sounds crazy, but if you're an NBA general manager like me, the last place you want to be is in the middle. There are only two outcomes there: Either make the playoffs and be first-round fodder for one of the premier teams or miss the playoffs and pick somewhere around 11th to 14th in the draft. Either way, the odds are that you stay in that middle range. It's a recipe for disaster.
You need superstars to compete in this league, and the playing field for those guys is tilted toward a few big-market teams. They are demanding trades and getting together and deciding where they want to go in free agency. It's tough for us to compete with that. So a high lottery pick is all we have.
How do you pull it off? First, you talk it over with ownership. I analyzed the team and told them what I wanted to do, the guys I wanted to get rid of and the guys with future value whom we wanted to keep. We obviously traded away some of our veteran guys who gave us a better chance of winning right now for future draft picks and young players. The owners didn't want to tread water any more than I did. They'd rather go down to the bottom with the hope of coming up, so they signed off on it. It wasn't a fight at all. In a different season, it might not make sense, but this draft certainly makes it more appealing.
Our coach understands that too. It's no secret what we're trying to do, and you can't lie to him anyway or you'll lose all trust. We never really had to tell him, because the handwriting is on the wall. He knows exactly what's going on, and he's good with it. What's hard is keeping it from the players. If you took a poll in all 30 locker rooms, regardless of how the roster looks, I bet they'd all say they are a playoff team. That's good, because you want them to play with effort and lose organically. You never tell the players not to try to win a game, but it's obvious that you're putting out a team that's just not good enough to win.
We're not alone. Look at the 76ers. Since the draft in June, I don't think they've signed a player or made a trade to add a legitimate player. A bunch of us realize that our teams aren't good enough talentwise to do anything. You're going to be bad. There's no way around it. And even if you finish 0-82, there's still a 75 percent chance you don't get the No. 1 pick. We're just going to take our lumps and hope our number gets called.
As told to Jeff Goodman
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story...rc=desktop&wjb

L.A. Chieffan 10-29-2013 11:25 AM

Hmm very interesting to see someone finally come out and admit it. Either Ryan McDonough or maybe even Sam Hinkie trying to trick everyone in to thinking it's not him

Pitt Gorilla 10-29-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10118854)
Just a personal interest thing. I can sit and watch an NBA game, just prefer college basketball.

That makes no sense. The NBA is a much, much better product and it isn't particularly close.

Pitt Gorilla 10-29-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 10137749)
interesting partial article on an NBA GM tanking.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?story...rc=desktop&wjb

OR you can trade very little value and get a superstar like James Harden.

ChiefsCountry 10-29-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10137949)
That makes no sense. The NBA is a much, much better product and it isn't particularly close.

No team in Kansas City or St. Louis is the big reason NBA is hated around here, not to mention the douches who think KU basketball is better.

BWillie 10-29-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10137954)
No team in Kansas City or St. Louis is the big reason NBA is hated around here, not to mention the douches who think KU basketball is better.

Can I be a KU fan and an NBA fan? Cuz I am.

Pretty happy to see so many Jayhawks make the team.

Xavier Henry made it w/ the Lakers.
Cole Aldrich with the Knicks.
Markieff and Marcus Morris with the Suns but that wasn't a surprise.
Tyshawn Taylor still on with the Nets.

KevB 10-29-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 10133318)
If anybody is looking to join a NBA fantasy league, I set one up for CP that you can join at the link:

Yahoo fantasy b'ball league

We need 2 more teams to make an even 10 --- would really like to get to at least 10 teams.

Shogun 10-29-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10137956)
Can I be a KU fan and an NBA fan? Cuz I am.

Pretty happy to see so many Jayhawks make the team.

Xavier Henry made it w/ the Lakers.
Cole Aldrich with the Knicks.
Markieff and Marcus Morris with the Suns but that wasn't a surprise.
Tyshawn Taylor still on with the Nets.

Don't forget Shady with the nuggets!

Shogun 10-29-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 10138274)
We need 2 more teams to make an even 10 --- would really like to get to at least 10 teams.

Never played Fantasy Basketball but I'll give it a shot

EDIT: link gives me an error

dirk digler 10-29-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 10137954)

Definitely this.