ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Would you move into Space (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118018)

Mr. Laz 06-16-2005 09:47 AM

Would you move into Space

okay ... we found another planet in space that's environmentally identical to earth.

people are moving there slowly. they have been living there for a couple of years so there's not any Alien/predator surprises waiting. :)

the government is taking volunteers to move ... but you can only take your immediate family. wife/kids etc if your married ... mom/dad/sisters/brothers etc if your not.

if you were raised by someone else then they are considered your immediate family.

benefits- new world is pristine ... air/water/land has never seen humans. Government will build you a free house with running water and electricity.

all your Earth debts and minor mistakes will be erased.

if you've been convicted of anything major then your not allow to go. So this new world won't be full of criminals trying to escape their sorted past.

Negatives- the planet is too far away and trip too expensive to make it feasible to return for anything other than a planetary emergency. It's a one-way ticket and you leave all your friends etc back on earth.

[/edit]minimal communication ... by special transmission ... earth television is sent by recording ... but delayed several months.

[/edit]you would be in hyper sleep (or something ) and you wouldn't lose 30 years of your life at all. It's more about the expense of the travel than the actual time it takes to get there that makes a return trip not likely.

would you take the plunge?

Saulbadguy 06-16-2005 09:48 AM

Do they have means of communication to earth? Earth television? Internet?

Mr. Laz 06-16-2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Do they have means of communication to earth? Earth television? Internet?

minimal communication ... by special transmission

earth television is sent by recording ... but delayed several months

internet is only the new planet internet... not connected to earth

HC_Chief 06-16-2005 09:51 AM

The fact that you would spend about thirty years in transit makes me say, "uhh, no".

Simplex3 06-16-2005 09:51 AM

When do I leave?

I'd think you would wind up surrounded by people who didn't want to see the new runaway bride movie. People who's goal is to work and create a new world. I just think the class and character of person that would take that trip would be the type of person I'd like to hang with.

Mr. Laz 06-16-2005 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
The fact that you would spend about thirty years in transit makes me say, "uhh, no".

you would be in hyper sleep (or something :shrug: ) and you wouldn't lose 30 years of your life at all.

it's more about the expense of the travel than the actual time it takes to get there that makes a return trip not likely.

Saulbadguy 06-16-2005 09:52 AM

I'd probably go. Free house!

Braincase 06-16-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I'd probably go. Free house!

Great. There goes the neighborhood.

chagrin 06-16-2005 09:56 AM

Can I travel in stasis? (spelling or term check there)

keg in kc 06-16-2005 09:58 AM

Absolutely. With no hesitation.

Simplex3 06-16-2005 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase
Great. There goes the neighborhood.

It's not a problem, we'll just lynch him. Or put out a bowl of anti-freeze.

Mr. Laz 06-16-2005 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
Can I travel in stasis? (spelling or term check there)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
you would be in hyper sleep (or something :shrug: ) and you wouldn't lose 30 years of your life at all.

it's more about the expense of the travel than the actual time it takes to get there that makes a return trip not likely.

Hammock Parties 06-16-2005 10:11 AM

Internet not connected to earth? That's bullshit IMO. You could easily connect to earth via satellite. Same for television.

Now, if a roving asteroid smashes one of your satellites, there might be some lag. :D

And to answer the question, HELL YES.

RedThat 06-16-2005 10:13 AM

If there was a Chiefsplanet in space, Heck yeah...I'd definately move there.

shakesthecat 06-16-2005 10:14 AM

No thanks.

I'm perfectly content with my life here on earth.