ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Worst President ever??? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=8234)

JOhn 10-06-2000 08:45 AM

Grant, Harding and Hoover.

Carter was actually a good President, he just had the misfortune to be president at the wrong time.

A. Johnson was only impeached because he was from the South and the North was angry because of the killing of Lincoln.

Nixon was only doing what most presidents before him did, he just got caught. Actually he was the best president in foreign relations.

I am voting for Gore because he has education as important. He is for the working class people.

Republicans typically stand for the Rich, Big Buisness and the influential.

JOhn 10-06-2000 10:46 AM

Why do you all think LBJ is bad?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 10-06-2000 10:54 AM

Pam, I think Johnson was "bad" because he lied so much about Vietnam. I don't mean just a little. I mean being blatantly misleading, including the totally fabricated Gulf of Tonkin. He really needed to be honest with America about Vietnam. We might have avoided a lot of domestic riots and kept our men and women from dying needlessy in that so-called "war"...

Which is EXACTLY why I can't vote for a candidate running for President who totally fabricates stories to support his POV...

[This message has been edited by TheFly (edited 10-06-2000).]

King_Chief_Fan 10-06-2000 11:23 AM

My vote would be Harding. Probably the most corrupt (after slick Willie) president ever. Nixon was the most paranoid. An honourable mention would go to JFK. (calm down Kennedyites) Yes he resolved the missile crisis. He did it by quietly giving up spy bases in Turkey. The Bay of Pigs was a disaster that didn't have to happen and left us with 40yrs of Castro. Eisenhower put advisors in Nam, but JFK put the first combantants in. The man on the moon was great but was a multi million $ pr stunt. It had no follow up goal and was meaningless as a result.

BTW: It's off topic Pam but I take exception to your characterization of Gore and the GOP. Gores' stand on education amounts to 'throw money at it'. That's been tried for 20 some years and is a proven failure. Bush's voucher program is an attempt to solve the problem and deserves a chance. Gore isn't for the working class, he's strictly for Gore and the big money libs. He and Willy have been in office for 8yrs. What have they done for the working class? Besides sponser the biggest tax hike in history.

Dartgod 10-06-2000 11:31 AM

To raise another issue, LBJ seems to have had some connection with the assisination of JFK. Supposedly there will be information released early next year that makes quite a few people guilty of conspiracy in the assination.

I'm curious about how the U.S. will stand up against something like that!

FYI....Before Kennedy (D), Eisenhower (R), Truman (D), Roosevelt (D), Roosevelt (D), Roosevelt (D)

------------------
Remember Joe Delaney?
Some of us do and are acting on our belief that he was a hero.
This is a bandwagon that all are invited to jump on!!!

37 Forever

flowergirl 10-06-2000 11:43 AM

My vote goes to LBJ as well...Kennedy was already in the process of ending the Vietnam "War" before it got out of hand, and LBJ undid all that as soon as he took office.

50,000 US troops dead for no good reason...that's enough for LBJ to get my vote.

Iowanian 10-06-2000 01:26 PM

I agree that Jimmy Carter was one of the best people that we have had as president and his activities since he left office, admirable, very admirable.

He was a poor leader, but a good and intelligent man.

I think Grant's administration is demonstrably corrupt, Nixon was paranoid about the media but he had one of the best foreign policy men ever.

Gore will be a poor president, he is not a leader (has no idea who/what he is), his policies are all about big government and empowering the elites. Gore is not/will not be as an accomplished liar as Bill Clinton, but a liar none the less.

Gore is a huge threat to the 10th amendment (anyone know what that is)?

JOhn 10-06-2000 05:32 PM

10th Ammendment--Power reserved to the States

I thought you all meant Andrew Johnson.

I agree that the parties are changing, however I still think that the GOP( by the way does anyone know why it is called that) is for the rich and big business!!! Just what I have heard for the last 30 years, and I still tend to believe it.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 10-06-2000 05:42 PM

Pam, here's part of the answer:

At the time of its founding, the Republican Party was organized as an answer to the divided politics, political turmoil, arguments and internal division, particularly over slavery, that plagued the many existing political parties in the United States in 1854. The Free Soil Party, asserting that all men had a natural right to the soil, demanded that the government re-evaluate homesteading legislation and grant land to settlers free of charge. The Conscience Whigs, the "radical" faction of the Whig Party in the North, alienated themselves from their Southern counterparts by adopting an anti-slavery position. And the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which allowed territories to determine whether slavery would be legalized in accordance with "popular sovereignty" and thereby nullify the principles of the Missouri Compromise, created a schism within the Democratic Party.

A staunch Anti-Nebraska Democrat, Alvan E. Bovay, like his fellow Americans, was disillusioned by this atmosphere of confusion and division. Taking advantage of the political turmoil caused by the Kansas-Nebraska Act, Bovay united discouraged members from the Free Soil Party, the Conscience Whigs and the Anti-Nebraska Democrats. Meeting in a Congregational church in Ripon, Wis., he helped establish a party that represented the interests of the North and the abolitionists by merging two fundamental issues: free land and preventing the spread of slavery into the Western territories. Realizing the new party needed a name to help unify it, Bovay decided on the term Republican because it was simple, synonymous with equality and alluded to the earlier party of Thomas Jefferson, the Democratic-Republicans.<P>

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 10-06-2000 05:43 PM

On July 6, 1854, in Jackson, Mich., the Republican Party formally organized itself by holding its first convention, adopting a platform and nominating a full slate of candidates for state offices. Other states soon followed, and the first Republican candidate for president, John C. Fremont, ran in 1856 with the slogan "Free soil, free labor, free speech, free men, Fremont."<P>

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 10-06-2000 05:46 PM

AND the answer is....

A favorite of headline writers, GOP dates back to the 1870s and '80s. The abbreviation was cited in a New York Herald story on October 15, 1884; "' The G.O.P. Doomed,' shouted the Boston Post.... The Grand Old Party is in condition to inquire...."

But what GOP stands for has changed with the times. In 1875 there was a citation in the Congressional Record referring to "this gallant old party," and , according to Harper's Weekly, in the Cincinnati Commercial in 1876 to "Grand Old Party."

Perhaps the use of "the G.O.M." for Britain's Prime Minister William E. Gladstone in 1882 as " the Grand Old Man" stimulated the use of GOP in the United States soon after.

In early motorcar days, GOP took on the term "get out and push." During the 1964 presidential campaign, "Go-Party" was used briefly, and during the Nixon Administration, frequent references to the "generation of peace" had happy overtones. In line with moves in the '70s to modernize the party, Republican leaders took to referring to the "grand old party," harkening back to a 1971 speech by President Nixon at the dedication of the Eisenhower Republican Center in Washington, D.C.

Indeed, the "grand old party" is an ironic term, since the Democrat Party was organized some 22 years earlier in 1832.