ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Junior Seau dead, probable suicide (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259152)

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9302535)
The storm is coming. When Goodell dumps kickoffs and continues to modify the game, it'll have started with things like this. Every brain these BU people study seems to have brain damage. At this point it may not be outrageous to think that down the road, young kids will not be allowed to play football.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, they havent outlawed boxing yet.

tk13 01-10-2013 10:17 AM

As far as I know there's no pee wee boxing. One of the people involved in the BU study thinks kids under 14 shouldn't play football.

Really though the big thing is when an article comes out of nowhere like the one about eliminating kickoffs and stuff like that. People are like "What?" Goodell is trying to cover himself in case they start really linking the NFL to brain damage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good 01-10-2013 10:29 AM

Cap NFL careers at 100 games played.

InChiefsHeaven 01-10-2013 10:34 AM

I have a friend who says that in 20 years, football will be a fringe sport because moms and dads will stop letting their kids play for fear of concussions and other injuries. Not sure I agree with him, but things they are indeed a changin'.

Chief_For_Life58 01-10-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9302717)
I have a friend who says that in 20 years, football will be a fringe sport because moms and dads will stop letting their kids play for fear of concussions and other injuries. Not sure I agree with him, but things they are indeed a changin'.

inner city kids will always play football

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9302717)

Football provides too many opportunities for too many kids for that to happen.

Deberg_1990 01-10-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9302681)
One of the people involved in the BU study thinks kids under 14 shouldn't play football.

I can see this happening someday

jAZ 01-10-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9302660)
Well, they havent outlawed boxing yet.

I don't let my son box. And I'm not enrolling him in football either. That's the real threat to the sport, not likely actual regulation.

Basketball, cycling, aikido, swimming, etc.

Brock 01-10-2013 10:58 AM

It's a miracle any of us survived back before parents swathed their kids in bubble wrap.

Bowser 01-10-2013 11:17 AM

It will get to the point where rookies coming into the league will have to sign a waiver so the NFL won't be held accountable for future injuries to said rookie.

Skyy God 01-10-2013 11:25 AM

I'm with Nate Jackson on providing health insurance for ex-players. Dubiously efficacious rule changes like eliminating kickoffs won't win the PR battle. This might.

Quote:

So what moral obligation does the industry have? I say there is only one: health care for life for all vested NFL players. There are roughly 18,000 former players alive and breathing. It is feasible, considering the $9 billion dollars in revenue the league brings in every year, to provide health insurance for every one of them. As it stands now, players have five years of post-career health coverage: then they're on their own with a long list of pre-existing conditions. Many football-related ailments don't pop up until later. By then many of them are broke.

If it is true that football is our true national pastime, then we should protect it. That means protecting those who play, and yes, those who played. They do not disappear when they stop playing; they limp along. And every uninsured, drug-addicted, crippled, dementia-praecoxed former player who limps through his football-free world is a black eye on a league that is already up against the existential ropes. Finding a way to insure those who need it, like RGIII someday will, would be the PR boost that the league so desperately needs, with the additional virtue of being the good and ethical thing to do.

Then we could stop pointing fingers. We could stop telling lies about "safer football." We could allow the game to evolve in its own best interest instead of the best interest of the league's PR machine and litigation team. And we could enjoy the game of football again, knowing that the men who entertain us will be taken care of when their bodies are no longer healthy enough to hold our attention.
http://deadspin.com/5974523/the-heal...player-himself

Dave Lane 01-10-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8637082)
I hear that "queerbait" is making a comeback.

Only in DC. Stay out of there as much as you can :)

Thig Lyfe 01-10-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9302302)
Seau's family saying he suffered from DTE, chronic brain damage resulting from football.

So selfish.

Saul Good 01-10-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9302771)
It's a miracle any of us survived back before parents swathed their kids in bubble wrap.

Why do people make comments like this? What are they supposed to prove? Human kind has survived innumerable horrible circumstances. Does that mean we shouldn't try to correct anything?

Thig Lyfe 01-10-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9303222)
Why do people make comments like this? What are they supposed to prove? Human kind has survived innumerable horrible circumstances. Does that mean we shouldn't try to correct anything?

Concussions build character.