ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Electronics Tesla unveil Semi, new Roadster, & also teased a "pickup truck" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311604)

cooper barrett 11-17-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 13221717)
They tried the battery swap route. Both they and the public weren't huge fans. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they don't do it for the Semi though. A lease agreement on the batteries could bring down the initial investment for buyers and reduce their unfounded anxiety on battery life.

How does one get access to the batteries to swap them? This whole platform must be removed and then cells can be accessed.

https://insideevs.com/wp-content/upl...10.42-1280.jpg

vailpass 11-17-2017 04:58 PM

That "pickup truck" is ridiculous looking. I'll keep my real vehicles.

Bwana 11-17-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13221954)

Likewise, that thing looks like a bad Mad Max knockoff.

http://vehicleshowcase.madmaxmovie.c...llery/car3.png

JakeF 11-17-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13221444)
If nothing else, I love that Tesla is pushing everyone else to get better. Hopefully they can figure out their production issues sooner than later.

Pushing everything forward is what matters. Musk is slowly doing what our worthless Congress refuses to do by getting America off of gasoline.

aturnis 11-17-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13221954)

I imagine it's actually to take place of medium duty trucks like Isuzu and Fuso etc. Shouting it as a pickup, but will likely have multiple options for beds in various lengths.

cooper barrett 11-17-2017 06:02 PM

it's a box truck not a pick up

I will wait to see what Cummins brings out. There have been electric trucks spotted around here recently.

I am in the crowd... Where's Cooper?

Rain Man 11-17-2017 06:06 PM

As someone who drives cars, I'm not sure that I want to share the road with semis that have really fast acceleration.

cooper barrett 11-17-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13222046)
As someone who drives cars, I'm not sure that I want to share the road with semis that have really fast acceleration.

or one that probably will need new brakes and interior fabric when the "never need brakes again" truck goes down the grade he bragged about it going up....

morphius 11-17-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13222039)
it's a box truck not a pick up

I will wait to see what Cummins brings out. There have been electric trucks spotted around here recently.

I am in the crowd... Where's Cooper?

Cummings already came out with theirs, 100 mile range

DaFace 11-17-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13222110)
or one that probably will need new brakes and interior fabric when the "never need brakes again" truck goes down the grade he bragged about it going up....

EV's typically need brake jobs far less often than gas-powered cars due to regenerative braking.

prhom 11-17-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13221649)
Just lift out the battery pack, sure tell your wife to run to the store for beer and while she is at it swap the batteries.

https://insideevs.com/wp-content/upl...10.42-1280.jpg

You can thank me for pointing this out because if you said it anywhere else but CP you would be flamed

I know it’s not a 9-volt battery powering the car. I said they should be considering how to make the batteries swappable. Clearly they are not right now. You would need some infrastructure and powered lift equipment but they need to consider that especially for the trucks. Have them lower from under the vehicle so you drive over a pit like an oil change and they lower the batteries on a hydraulic lift or something like that.

cooper barrett 11-17-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 13222117)
Cummings already came out with theirs, 100 mile range

Its a class 7 used for regional shipping. I think they are increasing that and adding on the road charging options to it. It is there first rodeo in electric.
Quote:

With 140 kWh, the pack brings a range of just 100 miles—although Cummins says that’s extendable to 300 miles with additional (modular) battery packs.

cooper barrett 11-17-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13222122)
EV's typically need brake jobs far less often than gas-powered cars due to regenerative braking.

I was talking about surviving "widow maker" downhill grades on regenerative braking. No, no, no, give me some bad ass brakes and not electric ones either...

DaFace 11-17-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13222135)
I was talking about surviving "widow maker" downhill grades on regenerative braking. No, no, no, give me some bad ass brakes and not electric ones either...

Well, sure, but you realize they have "real" brakes too, right? They just don't need them as much.

cooper barrett 11-17-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 13222128)
I know it’s not a 9-volt battery powering the car. I said they should be considering how to make the batteries swappable. Clearly they are not right now. You would need some infrastructure and powered lift equipment but they need to consider that especially for the trucks. Have them lower from under the vehicle so you drive over a pit like an oil change and they lower the batteries on a hydraulic lift or something like that.

It will be interesting but a service center can easily pull a cab off for access and quickly too,,, A few bolts an a couple of wiring loom connections and you can hoist it off, do same with semi tractors now.