ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music I interviewed Joe Elliott of Def Leppard today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271554)

COchief 03-28-2013 10:23 PM

Just want to throw it out there, would be nice if this Dane was around more often...

I'm sure you posted it a million times, but what exactly do you do in the entertainment business?

patteeu 03-28-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9537022)
This. I honestly wish I wasn't like this, but I pretty much can't stand any of the music I grew up on. Occasionally it's fun to listen to stuff like that in a sort of posturing reliving my youth way... But I'm constantly looking for new (to me) music instead of reliving the oldies.

For instance, I was a huge Led Zeppelin fan, but I pretty much instantly switch the station if they come on. I think they're a great band. Their music is super important. I can hardly listen to them now though.

I'm the same way. I did listen to a dozen Def Leppard songs this afternoon after seeing this thread though. I'd imagine that will last me for quite a while.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9537255)
Just want to throw it out there, would be nice if this Dane was around more often...

I'm sure you posted it a million times, but what exactly do you do in the entertainment business?

I was at Universal from 1993-1997 and Paramount from 1997-2003. I continue to work in the music side independently to this day.

What is your question, exactly?

BigMeatballDave 03-28-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9537049)
You're misinterpreting the information.

Pete Willis WAS fired and replaced with Phil Collen because he was an alcoholic, late for rehearsals, songwriting sessions, etc. The guy sells real estate now.

Joe didn't want Rick Allen fired nor Steve Clark or Savage fired. That's complete and utter nonsense.

After Clark's death, they only wanted a British guitarist, due to their chemistry, so no American guitarists were even considered. They eventually settled on Vivian Campbell, but he's only a paid player and not a full member. The runner up is a very good friend of mine that went on to work with Alanis Morrisette for years and is now a successful producer in his own right.

And quite honestly, he's a better guitarist.

Campbell is not a 'full' member? He was brought on over 20 years ago.

patteeu 03-28-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9537286)

Give it time. Don't rush things.

COchief 03-28-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9537255)
What exactly do you do in the entertainment business?

Producer, musician, talent scout, agent, engineer?

Simply Red 03-28-2013 10:37 PM

Has anyone ever licked a chick's ass?

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9537286)

Hired gun. He gets a salary when they tour and that's it. The guy plays in local clubs with shitty cover bands.

This isn't uncommon. For example, Zakk Wylde was an employee and never shared in royalties. He was paid when he recorded and toured. That's it.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9537293)
Producer, musician, talent scout, agent, engineer?

Are you being serious or just acting like an asshole?

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9537290)
Give it time. Don't rush things.

LMAO

COchief 03-28-2013 10:40 PM

Serious. I have a friend who is an audio engineer for Warren Miller and he has some amazing stories from over the years.

cosmo20002 03-28-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9537093)
Because at heart, they're a Pop band. They're not rock, they're not metal, they're not alternative and they're certainly not punk.

They're a pop band with tons of vocals and vocal harmonies.

Pop.

And Joe Elliott sounds absolutely horrible live.

DaneMcCloud 03-28-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 9537312)
Serious. I have a friend who is an audio engineer for Warren Miller and he has some amazing stories from over the years.

Oh, that's cool!

I worked in the music division of MCA/Uni/Geffen and Paramount's Famous Division (which has since been sold to Sony).

I'm not going to disclose everything in this thread but yes, I continue to work in the music business to this day. PM me if you're serious and will promise to keep any info private.

Warren Miller films kick ass and he's always been kind to emerging artists.

BigMeatballDave 03-28-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9537321)
And Joe Elliott sounds absolutely horrible live.

He's getting old. He didn't sound that good 25 years ago, either.

Have you heard Geddy Lee live lately. Yikes. It's a good thing Rush is still excellent instrumentally.

patteeu 03-28-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9537333)
Oh, that's cool!

I worked in the music division of MCA/Uni/Geffen and Paramount's Famous Division (which has since been sold to Sony).

I'm not going to disclose everything in this thread but yes, I continue to work in the music business to this day. PM me if you're serious and will promise to keep any info private.

Warren Miller films kick ass and he's always been kind to emerging artists.

Come on, Dane. I'm sure everyone here will keep your info private. No need to be reticent. :p