ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Back Pain (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=176940)

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-18-2007 04:28 PM

Back Pain

Aside from antifreeze and stabbing yourself in the face, how do those of you who have back pain deal with it? Any good stretches, exercises, sleeping habits, etc?

My back has been fucked up since I got in a car wreck 8 years ago. I take Aleve from time to time, but I'm not big on pain meds. I do a lot of stretches, and usually pop my lower back a couple of times a day.

With that being said, if I stand for a while it really starts to hurt. I'm not that old yet, so I really don't like the thought of my back continuing to suck at life.

Thanks in advance.

Donger 12-18-2007 04:30 PM

Don't stand for a while.

Sans that, I have some heat packs that can be nuked. It's some kind of seed or nut or something that retains heat for hours. They work wonders on my back when it gets bad.

stumppy 12-18-2007 04:31 PM

Dr visit, drugs, x-rays, MRI, visit surgeon, surgery, drugs, recoup.

DBO82 12-18-2007 04:34 PM

Lighten up....relax

Be a lil bit less of a raging ass.

RJ 12-18-2007 04:36 PM

Get your testicles rubbed and aligned.

Iowanian 12-18-2007 04:40 PM

My back and neck are bad and hurt quite a bit....I've got ribs that are broken away from the backbone....it sucks sometimes.

I spend some time on a heating pad, ice packs while I'm watching football or something, take ibuprofin to keep down inflamation.

I also stretch and adjust it with a stick the size of a shovel handle....and will lay flat on the steps and slide down them,using the step edges to crack what needs cracking and roll the muscles around.

When I was working on my feet alot, it helped me quite a bit to get some good Gel inserts for my shoes/boots.

ChiTown 12-18-2007 04:46 PM

I've "owned" a considerable amount of back pain since my football playing days ended. I've coped through stretching and regular visits to a chiropractor. I'm generally experiencing some sort of back pain every day, but there are times.........let's just say there's not enough pain killers and alcohol to relieve the ache

morphius 12-18-2007 04:47 PM

I do the back extension to stretch mine out...

http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm

*edit - wrong one, the first time

Fish 12-18-2007 04:50 PM

Acupuncture and marijuana....

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-18-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by findthedr
depends on the nature of the back pain. Is it:
1. lumbosacral muscle strain?
2. herniated disc and subsequent nerve compression?
3. vertebral compression?
4. referred pain?

You can figure this out by asking these questions:
1. Is it acute pain or chronic?
2. Did you hear/feel a "pop"?
3. Is their numbness/tingling/weakness down your legs, hip?
4. most importantly, is their numbness in your groin area, are you still able to urinate, do you still have anal sphincter tone....cuz if you dont it could be a serious sign of cauda equina syndrome?
5. Do you have limited range of motion, when lying on your back does it hurt more if you raise your legs in the air?

So if its simple lumbosacral muscle strain, than generally you want to:
1. rest it (no heavy weight lifting)
2. DONT ICE IT....it makes it worse
3. use NSAID

give me more info and i can be more specific

1. It's chronic pain that has flare ups throughout the year. Stuff like golf makes it hurt a lot more.
2. No, but when I lay down and sling my left leg over my right I can pop 2-5 vertebrae at a time.
3. No numbness, I don't think I have a pinched nerve, but sometimes my right knee will hurt as well (IT Band??)
4. My ass seems ok
5. If I lay flat on my back it's ok, but it does hurt more when I raise my legs to stretch my hammies/lower back.

I have a tight/weak iliopsoas group. The original injury was a side impact on a car that whacked a bunch of vertebrae out of place. I got manipulated from time to time.

Right now for example it hurts from the small of my back/hips and along the right iliac crest.

Sometimes I'll use a foam roller, but it's very, very hard to get that deep, as the psoas is really far down.

Brock 12-18-2007 04:59 PM

Spasms or no?

HemiEd 12-18-2007 05:01 PM

Having had two major back injuries (motorcycle wreck, pedestrian hit by car) I have learned to live with pain, it gets easier with time. I do however, have to see a chiropractor on a fairly regular basis. I prefer not to take the heavy doses of pain meds they prescribed.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-18-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
Spasms or no?

From time to time.

Brock 12-18-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins
From time to time.

I have had chronic back spasms from time to time, which were aggravating a degraded disk. Hurt like a MFer. After having gone to chiros, regular doctors, etc., I tried a "sports medicine" doctor. She explained to me that it was actually my legs, specifically my hamstrings that were causing the back spasms. She gave me a device with some pulleys on it that I used to isolate and stretch my hamstrings. After a few weeks of that, I have had only occasional back pain, and a few stretch sessions straightens it right out. I recommend you stay far away from chiropractors.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-18-2007 05:28 PM

I'm 6'1 and weigh about 195, but I carry a lot of weight around my stomach.

From time to time, I'll actually roll on a golf ball to try and loosen up my hips. It can work. All in all, the pain is shitty, but it's not excruciating. Something that makes you walk gingerly rather than scream in pain.

Thanks for the help, regardless....to all.