ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Exercise junkies beware. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243783)

HemiEd 04-11-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7553466)
Time to find a new PT.

I hear ya, but I fired him a long time ago.

I knew absolutely less than nothing about working out, so he gave me a good foundation. I spend most of my time on free weights now, the chest/back machines, and triceps pull down. But I will make sure I don't do any of these 6 in the future. The three leg exercises was still in my off day leg program.

It has been a real good thing, except for a couple injuries I have incurred.

Inspector 04-11-2011 09:48 AM

So what about them bowflex machines? Are those bad for ya?

Do they work ok for old people if they use less weight?

BIG_DADDY 04-11-2011 10:00 AM

You want real information about about injuries in the gym I'll give it to you. Far and away the most injuries take place using a barbell on the bench. From kids roided out lifting too much to guys in their early 30's who have already worn out their shoulders. We used to have a saying, use barbells, lift today. Use dumbbells lift a lifetime. After 30 years of lifting I can assure you that you can eventually wear out those shoulders anyway but that's probably 1% of 1% of all people that lift. 2nd most injuries come from the squat rack. From improper lifting to the dipshit that steps out of the cage without a spotter this easily is the runner up.

BTW, I have never seen anyone sustain an injury on leg extensions, machine leg press, roman chair or hip abductor for that matter.

Omaha 04-11-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 7553527)
Crash bars are sufficient.

This.

The only thing I use a Smith Machine for is this:

Quote:

A better exercise: Incline pull-ups. Place a bar in the squat rack at waist height, grab the bar with both hands, and hang from the bar with your feet stretched out in front of you. Keep your torso stiff, and pull your chest to the bar 10 to 15 times. To make it harder, lower the bar; to make it easier, raise the bar.

Radar Chief 04-11-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7553104)
#4 is the only weight machine I'm good at. I'm a 180-lb. weakling on most machines, but I can do the whole stack on #4. I have the thighs of a greek god.

That’s exactly how people injure themselves on leg press machines like that.
When I was in the Army I knew a 120# female that leg pressed 600# and didn’t know it at the time but separated a couple of ribs from her spine doing it. That injury took her out for a while.

Edit: to clarify, she was using a leg press more like this than the one in #4.

http://bodybuildingequipment.ericsgy...zoom/index.htm

NewChief 04-11-2011 10:03 AM

What is the term for a Smith machine that actually allows horizontal range of motion as well? My gym has a smith machine, but it also has a machine where the bar can move on axes both horizontal and perpendicular to the floor.

HemiEd 04-11-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 7553638)
You want real information about about injuries in the gym I'll give it to you. Far and away the most injuries take place using a barbell on the bench. From kids roided out lifting too much to guys in their early 30's who have already worn out their shoulders. We used to have a saying, use barbells, lift today. Use dumbbells lift a lifetime. After 30 years of lifting I can assure you that you can eventually wear out those shoulders anyway but that's probably 1% of 1% of all people that lift. 2nd most injuries come from the squat rack. From improper lifting to the dipshit that steps out of the cage without a spotter this easily is the runner up.

BTW, I have never seen anyone sustain an injury on leg extensions, machine leg press, roman chair or hip abductor for that matter.

I got one on the hip abductor, it hurt like hell for several weeks. Using too much weight, and I pulled something.

The other injury was from doing too much weight on the curls. Pulled both elbow tendons, and that is probably going to take surgery, by the time we are done. We are on the third steriod shot now.

QuikSsurfer 04-11-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 7553312)
The Smith Machine is absolute garbage, yet 90% of people use it because they are scared to use a standard power rack.

I'm not scared... I use it because of its ease of use and safety -- as I normally workout alone.

And i've had great results from sitting Lat pulldowns (pull down to chest though, not back of neck).. I usually alternate this exercise with dips.

QuikSsurfer 04-11-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVChiefFan (Post 7553523)
I'm not a huge smith machine fan either, but its tough to beat when your working out alone. That's the only time i use mine.

and this

Silock 04-11-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 7553638)

Form is important. Machines take that away from you, so that it's more difficult to sustain a sudden injury. Machines generally injure you over time, which is why you don't see someone just ****ing themselves up in one sitting.

Silock 04-11-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn (Post 7553303)
I don't know what to think about this. I just had knee surgery and my physical therapist is having me doing some of these exercises to avoid. So now were saying that the whole physical therapy propaganda is wrong and they have been taught the wrong things and now pass it on us to be further injured?

No. Do the exercises. I'm guessing they are having you use very light weight at high reps to rehab, right? The problems with these machines generally appear with higher weight. So, do your rehab, but I wouldn't make a habit out of incorporating them into your workout for a lifetime using heavier weight.

BIG_DADDY 04-11-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7553745)
Form is important. Machines take that away from you, so that it's more difficult to sustain a sudden injury. Machines generally injure you over time, which is why you don't see someone just ****ing themselves up in one sitting.

It's that whole locked in thing. Free weights are better from a variety of standpoints.

BIG_DADDY 04-11-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 7553679)
I got one on the hip abductor, it hurt like hell for several weeks. Using too much weight, and I pulled something.

The other injury was from doing too much weight on the curls. Pulled both elbow tendons, and that is probably going to take surgery, by the time we are done. We are on the third steriod shot now.

Why would you lift heavy on an abductor?

HemiEd 04-11-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 7553773)
Why would you lift heavy on an abductor?

How do you find the right weight? I have seen guys hang additional weights off of the peg, beyond the 220 lb. capacity of the machine. I am only talking about 140 being too much for my old carcus. 100 is just right.

Brock 04-11-2011 11:00 AM

Mostly, all machines do is take up space that could be better put to use with more benches and dumbbells. I think what they're saying about leg extensions is a crock though. Extending the leg isn't a natural motion? BS.