ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   With that gameplan - why not Croyle? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=148016)

Shag 09-18-2006 08:28 AM

With that gameplan - why not Croyle?

Heading into the Denver game, I was strongly against starting Croyle, as I feared getting him killed (see week 1). However, after seeing the gameplan for Denver, I wonder if that was the right decision.

Huard did nothing that Croyle couldn't have, IMHO - short drops, quick passes, nothing downfield. With that gameplan, Croyle gives us a better chance at winning than Huard, simply based on talent - Croyle has the talent to make plays downfield if needed. Huard didn't blow the game for us (though, that fumble was costly), but he did nothing to win it, either.

After halftime, Huard completed passes totaling 45 yards (37 of that on one play), and ZERO first downs. Yes, Huard was handcuffed, but he did little with the opportunities he was given. I find it real hard to believe Croyle couldn't have topped that.

If Trent isn't back in week 4, I wish the coaching staff would consider starting Croyle (which they won't). They can handcuff him with the same type of gameplan if they want, but when the time comes, they can take some shots, and rely on Croyle's talent to make some plays...

ChiTown 09-18-2006 08:32 AM

I honestly don't think that it would have been a good idea to start the first game of your career (as a rookie) in the unfriendly confines of Denver.

Huard was the right choice. They just should have opened up the playbook past the page of 2. jmho

NaptownChief 09-18-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown
I honestly don't think that it would have been a good idea to start the first game of your career (as a rookie) in the unfriendly confines of Denver.

Huard was the right choice. They just should have opened up the playbook past the page of 2. jmho

Agreed.....at 0-1 there was still hope, at 0-2 and knowing the team would have to go 10-4 or 11-3 the rest of the way to make the playoffs I am now all for seeing what we have in Croyle assuming he is comfortable with the playbook.

HC_Chief 09-18-2006 08:41 AM

No.

Give Croyle a year to learn the offense and to HEAL. Hand him the reigns next season.

NaptownChief 09-18-2006 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
No.

Give Croyle a year to learn the offense and to HEAL. Hand him the reigns next season.

I realize throwing away seasons around here has become no big deal but would you really want to throw away next season to groom a QB when you could do it this year in what looks to be almost certainly a non-playoff year?

Do it this year and if he is the guy you can't get him through his learning curve in a year that is almost certainly already ruined and if you find out he isn't the guy then you can make the needed picks or FA signings to move in the right direction a year sooner.

JBucc 09-18-2006 08:53 AM

I don't care either way. But unless Huard is injured it won't matter.

Brock 09-18-2006 08:54 AM

I'm not at all ready to declare this a "non-playoff year". It's week 2.

Skip Towne 09-18-2006 08:56 AM

With his injury history I'm afraid he'll get broken in half. I'm for giving him a year to gain bulk and strength.

kc1977 09-18-2006 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock

No kidding - we have 2 winnable games in a row that we can reasonably get to 2-2. Many 2-2 teams have made the playoffs.

NaptownChief 09-18-2006 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock

I certainly can understand some holding out hope but looking at the schedule even with the two Raider freebies I can't see this team and coach combination going the needed 10-4 or 11-3 in the next 14 games under hardly any circumstance. If I were running the team I would probably hold out until they are 0-3 or 1-3 before making that move just so you don't have to hear the Whitlocks of the world talking about how you gave up after week 2 for the next 10 years....

CupidStunt 09-18-2006 09:00 AM

"That" gameplan was smart, safe and non-erratic, not the traits of a rookie third-round QB.

jspchief 09-18-2006 09:04 AM

If all we're requiring of our QB is 5 yards passes, I say we give Croyle the next two weeks worth of starter reps and break him in at home against the 49ers.

We can give him the same leash we gave Huard, and let him build confidence for the future. I'd rather be developing a guy that might someday be our QB, than coddling a career clipboard holder.

Halfcan 09-18-2006 09:11 AM

3 down-13 Yards to go Run left

2-37 Run Right

3-78 Run up the middle

Yeah Broadie could hand off better-maybe even not fumble 4 times in 2 games like Damon.

HC_Chief 09-18-2006 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaptownChief
I realize throwing away seasons around here has become no big deal but would you really want to throw away next season to groom a QB when you could do it this year in what looks to be almost certainly a non-playoff year?

Do it this year and if he is the guy you can't get him through his learning curve in a year that is almost certainly already ruined and if you find out he isn't the guy then you can make the needed picks or FA signings to move in the right direction a year sooner.

This year is for "grooming".

See Phillip Rivers and Carson Palmer. Those guys were drafted, then given a year to learn the offense prior to getting the start.

Trent Green WILL be back. Huard did a solid job yesterday... calling for his replacement is unwarranted. Allow Huard to do his job, BACKUP TRENT GREEN, until #10 returns. Green finishes the season, with Croyle learning the whole time. Next season, Croyle gets the reigns.

keg in kc 09-18-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
This year is for "grooming".

See Phillip Rivers and Carson Palmer. Those guys were drafted, then given a year to learn the offense prior to getting the start.

Exactly.