ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   U.S. Issues Unions are such a good thing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266103)

HonestChieffan 11-02-2012 10:21 AM

Unions are such a good thing
 
SEASIDE HEIGHTS, NEW JERSEY (WAFF) - The hurricane-ravaged east coast has been receiving north Alabama help, but crews from Huntsville Utilities learned they’ll be doing work in Long Island, New York instead of in New Jersey.

Crews from Huntsville, as well as Decatur Utilities and Joe Wheeler out of Trinity headed up there this week, but Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers, said they were told by crews in New Jersey that they can’t do any work there since they’re not union employees.

The crews that are in Roanoke, Virginia say they are just watching and waiting even though they originally received a call asking for help from Seaside Heights, New Jersey.

The crews were told to stand down. In fact, Moore said the crew from Trinity is already headed back home.

http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/s...sandy-recovery

Amnorix 11-02-2012 12:23 PM

Insane.

King_Chief_Fan 11-02-2012 12:24 PM

Obama supports unions......Union supports Obama

Lex Luthor 11-02-2012 12:53 PM

It's time for Chris Christie to tell Obama that if he really wants to help the citizens of New Jersey, he'll order the unions to back off on this.

RNR 11-02-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9077465)
Insane.

Is this surprising to you or anyone? If it is you simply do not understand the right to work law. States that are not right to work states will not allow any nonunion member to work in their state~

Radar Chief 11-02-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9077465)
Insane.

Typical, actually.

OmahaChief 11-02-2012 01:30 PM

I hate Unions. They are the driving force behind the outsourcing that goes on in our manufacturing. I understand many years ago they had the best interest in the workers in mind but that day has come and gone. You don't need to be paid $25 to $35/hr to put screws in a car plus the costs of the other benefits the company gives.

If we paid a wage commensurate with the skill of the job we could again make things at a reasonable cost and bring more jobs home.

Mr. Kotter 11-02-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 9077716)
I hate Unions. They are the driving force behind the outsourcing that goes on in our manufacturing. I understand many years ago they had the best interest in the workers in mind but that day has come and gone. You don't need to be paid $25 to $35/hr to put screws in a car plus the costs of the other benefits the company gives.

If we paid a wage commensurate with the skill of the job we could again make things at a reasonable cost and bring more jobs home.

Painting with a mighty broad brush there, slick. Detracts from what credible points you may have.

alpha_omega 11-02-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9077731)
Painting with a mighty broad brush there, slick. Detracts from what credible points you may have.

Teacher's unions are the worst!

KC Dan 11-02-2012 01:37 PM

I'll paint with a smaller brush - I hate public sector unions. They are corrupt and are corrupting the entire political system plus they are bankrupting cities, counties and states

OmahaChief 11-02-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9077731)
Painting with a mighty broad brush there, slick. Detracts from what credible points you may have.

OK fair point but the UAW is the worst of the bunch so I only pointed them out.

Frazod 11-02-2012 01:51 PM

Talked to my friend who lives in Staten Island today, he had a story of similar madness - there are major gas shortages all over NYC, but they're not bringing in fuel from available sources because.... wait for it.... the ****ing blend isn't right.

Seriously.

:shake:

Mr. Kotter 11-02-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan (Post 9077744)
I'll paint with a smaller brush - I hate public sector unions. They are corrupt and are corrupting the entire political system plus they are bankrupting cities, counties and states

If you wish to be more accurate....and say that applies to larger liberal states, but not more thrifty conservative and right-to-work states (like mine)...I'd agree with you--as long as you are equally willing to rail against the corrupting influence of corporations, business lobbying, and campaign finance extortion by the privileged and uber wealthy.

Deal?

KC Dan 11-02-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 9077810)
If you wish to be more accurate....and say that applies to larger liberal states, but not more thrifty conservative and right-to-work states (like mine)...I'd agree with you--as long as you are equally willing to rail against the corrupting influence of corporations, business lobbying, and campaign finance extortion by the privileged and uber wealthy.

Deal?

agreed except that highlighted is NOT bankrupting cities, counties and states. But, I do rail against their corrupting influence on politics and elections.

Mr. Kotter 11-02-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan (Post 9077860)
agreed except that highlighted is NOT bankrupting cities, counties and states. But, I do rail against their corrupting influence on politics and elections.

Fair point. You are right, they are bankrupting Americans who use be in the middle class.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.