ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Lone Ranger trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267563)

Frazod 07-02-2013 09:39 AM

Yeah, every trailer and commercial has been horribly bad. Not surprised by the awful RT score.

No desire to see this. Ever.

Chiefspants 07-02-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9788022)
how the hell do you cast a white guy as an Indian in the year 2013!
where's the outrage?

Yeah, seeing that Depp's claim that he had "Native American lineage" was proven to be inaccurate, I do not see how this is any different than using something like yellowface.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9788022)
how the hell do you cast a white guy as an Indian in the year 2013!
where's the outrage?

If this had been a TV show, I'd agree. But when Disney spends $250 million, they're going to cast a movie star, not an unknown.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9788042)
Yeah, every trailer and commercial has been horribly bad. Not surprised by the awful RT score.

No desire to see this. Ever.

This movie would have likely had some appeal in 1960. In 2013?

:hmmm:

I have no idea why they spent $250 to make this movie but at least they removed the bit about the aliens.

frankotank 07-02-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788092)
If this had been a TV show, I'd agree. But when Disney spends $250 million, they're going to cast a movie star, not an unknown.

http://americanindians101.files.word...r-lautner1.jpg

:shrug:

Buehler445 07-02-2013 10:58 AM

This movie looks bad, but I bet it makes a good little shot of money because Depp is in it.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank

:shrug:

That kid can't carry a $250 million dollar movie

Bowser 07-02-2013 11:07 AM

Wait, $250,000,000 to make this? What in the actual ****?

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9788200)
Wait, $250,000,000 to make this? What in the actual ****?

And that's before the rebates given by New Mexico's film commission for filming it there.

Ten days in Los Angeles, three months in N.M. I have no idea why it cost so much, beyond Verbinski and Depp's quote.

Bowser 07-02-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788216)
And that's before the rebates given by New Mexico's film commission for filming it there.

Ten days in Los Angesles, three months in N.M. I have no idea why it cost so much, beyond Verbinski and Depp's quote.

Jesus. No way does this cover the cost. None.

I asked my kid if her and her friends were interested in seeing it, and she scrunched up her nose telling me no. That's a pretty good litmus for young audiences.

Someone at Disney needs to be punched.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9788224)
Jesus. No way does this cover the cost. None.

I asked my kid if her and her friends were interested in seeing it, and she scrunched up her nose telling me no. That's a pretty good litmus for young audiences.

Someone at Disney needs to be punched.

Well, I'm guessing that Bruckheimer and Disney believe that this movie will garner a large portion of the Pirate's audience due to the same principles. If they earn $125 domestically and $125 foreign, they're probably in the black because the N.M. rebates. But that's just a guess.

It makes no sense to me, although its hard to argue with Bruckheimer, Verbinski and Depp's track record of working together. Even Rango was a success and won an Oscar.

Bowser 07-02-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788236)
Well, I'm guessing that Bruckheimer and Disney believe that this movie will garner a large portion of the Pirate's audience due to the same principles. If they earn $125 domestically and $125 foreign, they're probably in the black because the N.M. rebates. But that's just a guess.

It makes no sense to me, although its hard to argue with Bruckheimer, Verbinski and Depp's track record of working together. Even Rango was a success and won an Oscar.

True points. I was thinking that there will be no way that this covers 250 domestically.

I'm with frazod here. Never once have I watched a trailer for this and felt excited for the movie. It will be interesting to see how it is received.

frankotank 07-02-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9788192)
That kid can't carry a $250 million dollar movie

yeah...you're right....but he supposedly has some NA in him. and he's not unknown. I'm personally not offended, but I'm surprised there isn't some uproar over this. back in the '50s they always had white dudes as Indians....but this is a new age.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9788273)
yeah...you're right....but he supposedly has some NA in him. and he's not unknown. I'm personally not offended, but I'm surprised there isn't some uproar over this. back in the '50s they always had white dudes as Indians....but this is a new age.

For example, Lautner did a movie that was released back in 2011 that was an action/adventurer starrer. The movie cost $35 million but only made $28 million domestically. I know that surprised Lionsgate because they assumed he had a much bigger following due to the Twilight Series.

I've never seen him in anything, so I have no idea if he's a good to great actor or not. But when studios throw down $250 million, there has to be a bona fide movie star attached, unless it's a film like Avatar, in which James Cameron is the movie star along with the groundbreaking VFX.

That's a lot of jack for a feature film and appears to be completely unwarranted for a Cowboy and Indian movie.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-02-2013 11:44 AM

****in' Armie Hammer. That dude is the Matt Cassel of actors.