ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs on verge of a deal with Andy Reid (merged) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268357)

Mr. Laz 01-02-2013 10:02 AM

Andy Reid to interview with Chiefs

Mike Garafolo, USA TODAY Sports10:42a.m. EST January 2, 20130 CommentsShare
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
<aside class="comp story-highlights " style="display: block; clear: left; float: left; width: 180px; margin: 20px 30px 20px 0px; min-height: 60px;">
  • Andy Reid was fired as head coach with the Philadelphia Eagles on Jan. 1 after 14 seasons
  • He is a top candidate for the head-coaching job of the Arizona Cardinals, who fired Ken Whisenhunt
  • Reid, however, will interview Wednesday with the Kansas City Chiefs, who fired Romeo Crennel
</aside>From a sure thing as Arizona Cardinals head coach to an interview with the Kansas City Chiefs before he even meets with the Cards. That's the way it's gone for Andy Reid in the past day.
The former Philadelphia Eagles' coach will meet with the Chiefs Wednesday in Philly, according to a person informed of the interview. The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the Chiefs haven't confirmed the meeting, said Reid will then fly to Arizona for his meeting with the Cards on Thursday.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9267554)
I don't even...........seriously, Pioli can't be back. There is nothing else to say.

Me thinks the Chunt is starting to get the picture that no serious NFL head coaching candidate wants to work with him...

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9267459)
Well, at least he hit on his two high 1st rounders.

Other than that, TJ Ward and hot garbage.

Not really, there are some nice players in there. Schwartz and Pinkston are good picks, Taylor's not a bad one either.

I'd say that is a slightly above average draft record. That said, refusing to give up his 2nd first rounder in a package to move up for RGIII and then using that same pick on Weeden is a pretty big strike.

In the end, I could not possibly care less if it means we're getting Reid in here. He'll do.

The Franchise 01-02-2013 10:03 AM

Interesting that Hunt is flying out to interview these people instead of bringing them into KC.

Titty Meat 01-02-2013 10:03 AM

What the **** is going on?

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 10:04 AM

From the reports thus far, Reid seems like anything but a lock to be our next HC. With the list of candidates out there that really sucks as well.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9267568)
Interesting that Hunt is flying out to interview these people instead of bringing them into KC.

A house divided...

Mr. Laz 01-02-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

c'mon ... make it about Pioli

you know you want to

Titty Meat 01-02-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Learned his lesson from Manning.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9267543)
The initial report from Peter King on Sunday night says it all:

Romeo being gone was a done deal but Pioli's status was uncertain.

Why?

Because PIOLI TOLD PETER KING that he was going to fire Romeo no matter what happened with himself. Pioli has been eyeing HC candidates for several weeks, no doubt about it.

Yep.

Sounds like these were interviews that Pioli set up before the end of the season.

Clark sends Pioli instead of cancelling outright, Pioli has ZERO power to do anything, explains why interview reportedly went poorly and Koetter signs an extension with ATL before Pioli's car leaves the parking lot.

The Franchise 01-02-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9267581)
c'mon ... make it about Pioli

you know you want to

Feel free to go **** yourself.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9267577)
From the reports thus far, Reid seems like anything but a lock to be our next HC. With the list of candidates out there that really sucks as well.

1. Chip
2. Reid
3. O'Brien

After that, you may as well interview Haley to come back.

Ask him with a straight face if he thinks that he and Pioli could co-exist...then bust up laughing and say 'just shitting you - that **** is gone.'

Red Beans 01-02-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9267584)
Yep.

Sounds like these were interviews that Pioli set up before the end of the season.

Clark sends Pioli instead of cancelling outright, Pioli has ZERO power to do anything, explains why interview reportedly went poorly and Koetter signs an extension with ATL before Pioli's car leaves the parking lot.

For some reason I envision Pioli riding the bus to the interview.

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9267586)
1. Chip
2. Reid
3. O'Brien

After that, you may as well interview Haley to come back.

Ask him with a straight face if he thinks that he and Pioli could co-exist...then bust up laughing and say 'just shitting you - that **** is gone.'

I agree on CHIP my first choice as well, but I don't even think he's a candidate. Clark probably doesn't even know he exists.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9267589)
I agree on CHIP my first choice as well, but I don't even think he's a candidate. Clark probably doesn't even know he exists.

:#

Lzen 01-02-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 9267286)
Reid is no dummy. Stop and take a look at 'serious offers' before he goes to visit with the job he really wants. Drive up his price and maybe his conditions.

Hoping for the best as I like Reid but I think of him as a fairer skinned Romeo. Not sure we need that in KC right now. Something between players coach and Todd Haley would be most welcomed. A coach with NFL experience is also a must.

Perhaps you should stick to DC. You know jack and shit about NFL football.

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Beans (Post 9267587)

Clark "You go Greyhound muthaF**(ka!"

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9267567)
Not really, there are some nice players in there. Schwartz and Pinkston are good picks, Taylor's not a bad one either.

I'd say that is a slightly above average draft record. That said, refusing to give up his 2nd first rounder in a package to move up for RGIII and then using that same pick on Weeden is a pretty big strike.

In the end, I could not possibly care less if it means we're getting Reid in here. He'll do.

Schwartz and Pinkston are OK, I wouldn't call them "nice players." Agree to disagree on those two.

I had high hopes for Taylor, but he's been god-awful.

And yes, the RGIII debacle is a huge black mark.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 10:09 AM

Here's something to keep in mind - the interviewers could be huge here.

Look - say what we want about Clark Hunt, but he's still a very very dynamic personality. He's young, charismatic and engaging. He strikes a very favorable presence and if you're Andy Reid, you have to be excited about a guy that young with his energy.

Meanwhile, Bill Bidwell is widely regarded as one of the worst owners in NFL History. He's essentially the old man from Braveheart. He's a creaky old goat that could never command a room like Clark Hunt could.

That could be a pretty big element in our favor. Clark Hunt would be a much much more desirable guy to work for than Bill Bidwell.

Red Beans 01-02-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9267594)
Clark "You go Greyhound muthaF**(ka!"

I was thinking public transit from the airport. Either way I like to imagine him riding the bus with some other serious degenerates.

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Beans (Post 9267600)
I was thinking public transit from the airport. Either way I like to imagine him riding the bus with some other serious degenerates.

LMAO

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9267597)

Look - say what we want about Clark Hunt, but he's still a very very dynamic personality. He's young, charismatic and engaging. He strikes a very favorable presence and if you're Andy Reid, you have to be excited about a guy that young with his energy.

Meanwhile, Bill Bidwell is widely regarded as one of the worst owners in NFL History. He's essentially the old man from Braveheart. He's a creaky old goat that could never command a room like Clark Hunt could.

That could be a pretty big element in our favor. Clark Hunt would be a much much more desirable guy to work for than Bill Bidwell.

Assuming Reid had a good relationship with Mark Donovan, that doesn't hurt either.

Chiefnj2 01-02-2013 10:10 AM

Andy will GO to Arizona, but KC management has to travel TO Philly for the interview?

Red Beans 01-02-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9267601)
LMAO

I can see him fumbling for change while the bus driver shoots him that, "Hurry the **** up, dickbag" look.

Red Beans 01-02-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9267605)
Andy will GO to Arizona, but KC management has to travel TO Philly for the interview?

Makes one think Clark was pretty anxious to meet the ol' Walrus.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Let me take it one step further:

I realize with hindsight we all see this differently, but 4 years ago, Clark Hunt was able to convince the hottest GM candidate in football to come to the Chiefs.

Keep that in mind.

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Let's face it zona is probably a lot better place to visit in January. Clark can't be like look at all that melting snow, can it get any better than this?

ChiTown 01-02-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

My guess is that we are trying to woo a candidate that appeared to be already in the bag for AZ. Whatever it takes.....

The Franchise 01-02-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Maybe Reid told him that he wouldn't be able to come to KC for an interview until after his Cardinals interview. Hunt told him that he would come to Philly to see him instead.

ptlyon 01-02-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Desperation effort. Was already going to AZ, Hunt called & said how about I come there before hand. Doesn't mean shit.

Mother****erJones 01-02-2013 10:13 AM

Its getting serious folks!

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

All 100% true.

Plus, outside of the last two years, we are a 'historically desirable' franchise, a renovated stadium, a shitton of cap room, the #1 overall pick in the draft, a young owner, the propensity of the most electric, college-like game-day atmosphere...

KC gig>Ari job

For anyone.

ptlyon 01-02-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9267614)
Maybe Reid told him that he wouldn't be able to come to KC for an interview until after his Cardinals interview. Hunt told him that he would come to Philly to see him instead.

Bingo

jd1020 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9267611)
Let's face it zona is probably a lot better place to visit in January. Clark can't be like look at all that melting snow, can it get any better than this?

Interesting theory, if Reid was in Florida.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

Who gives a shit where Clark is conducting the interview?

It could be at the North ****ing Pole for all I care.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9267615)
Desperation effort. Was already going to AZ, Hunt called & said how about I come there before hand. Doesn't mean shit.

No, that's how you get shit DONE; don't **** around.

'I want you so much, I'm coming to YOU.'

memyselfI 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

His itinerary was already set. The fact that he gave another team an opportunity to meet him in the small window before he heads to AZ must piss them off tremendously.

KevB 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9267609)
Let me take it one step further:

I realize with hindsight we all see this differently, but 4 years ago, Clark Hunt was able to convince the hottest GM candidate in football to come to the Chiefs.

Keep that in mind.

Exactly, there's no doubt it was quite a coup to lure Pioli when he came to KC. We were all very impressed with Clark at the time. I have to assume the same ability to recruit top talent will be in place this time around as well. The question ultimately will be : does the level of control that a coach wants exist here in KC?

KC_Lee 01-02-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Beans (Post 9267587)

I am thinking more of a clown car type of thing with all the failed "Patriot Way" personel comming out of a tiny car.

ChiefMojo 01-02-2013 10:15 AM

If Clark wants Reid, he will give him exactly what he wants and needs. I find it hard to believe that Zona could top that.

memyselfI 01-02-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9267620)
Interesting theory, if Reid was in Florida.

LOL, not like he's spent the past few years in tropical conditions, right? :D

mr. tegu 01-02-2013 10:16 AM

Cardinals got used by Manning and now might be getting used by Reid.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9267615)

That's no desperate. That's PROACTIVE.

The Franchise 01-02-2013 10:17 AM

If we hire Reid.....please for the love of God....leave Kolb in AZ.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9267633)
Cardinals got used by Manning and now might be getting used by Reid.

It's all they're good for at this point.

The luster from their Super Bowl appearance faded FAST.

The Franchise 01-02-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9267634)

This.

Hunt could have easily have told Reid that he'd interview him AFTER the AZ interview.

ptlyon 01-02-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9267624)

Hmmmmm. Sounds needy. Like an after the bars close booty call to an ex gf.

Mr. Laz 01-02-2013 10:18 AM

Isn't Reid a pretty good fit for us now?

I realize he has his weaknesses but an offensive leaning,experienced,proven guy who knows about Quarterbacks and is a 'full power' type guy is what we need.

stonedstooge 01-02-2013 10:18 AM

Fat men don't like hot climates

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9267635)

That's my biggest concern with Reid.

Not so much Kolb, because he's not going anywhere with that contract.

But Reid doesn't exactly have the best judgment lately when it comes to QB's.

wazu 01-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9267623)
Who gives a shit where Clark is conducting the interview?

It could be at the North ****ing Pole for all I care.

Agreed. Thing to remember is that Clark has to travel either way. He doesn't live in KC. Not gonna matter where the interview is. It's all about what he has to say.

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 9267642)
Fat men don't like hot climates

That's a good theory, Mangino is next on the coaching search?

ptlyon 01-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9267634)

Bet nothing comes of it

htismaqe 01-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9267641)
Isn't Reid a pretty good fit for us now?

I realize he has his weaknesses but an offensive leaning,experienced,proven guy who knows about Quarterbacks and is a 'full power' type guy is what we need.

Within the parameters of what Clark said he wanted, Reid is a nice option, yes.

Thig Lyfe 01-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9267379)
Wow. I haven't allowed myself to actually think Andy Reid would be the next coach of the Chiefs. We went to him. Holy shit. If we can get him, I'm all in. Proven ****ing winner. Great with QB's, and Pioli is out the ****ing door. Triple win!

He has this Schottenheimeresque inability to close the deal that gives me pause. It would be pretty nice to get a high profile guy with the win% he has, and hiring him would mean Pioli is out, but I might be more reserved in my excitement than most.

But who knows, maybe his 12th winning season will be the charm.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9267635)

**** that, bring him into camp, give him a look...

let him compete with Geno and Alex.

Really, I'm down with 3 new QBs on the roster.

htismaqe 01-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9267647)
Bet nothing comes of it

You're really going out on a limb there, aren't ya?

Agent V 01-02-2013 10:20 AM

No matter how this turns out, we can certainly give Hunt credit for, again, aggressively pursuing a top candidate.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9267624)

Agreed.

We hear from FAs all the time who have players standing on their doorstep at the midnight deadline and are blown away by it.

Clark Hunt going to Andy Reid would impress the hell out of me if I were Reid. It once again shows the difference between Hunt and Bidwell - Hunt has the enthusiasm and energy to gas up the jet and go see Andy on his home turf.

Meanwhile Bidwell is making Reid come to him.

You can call it 'desperation' but I see it as a sign of commitment and energy.

jd1020 01-02-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driving Wheel (Post 9267650)
**** that, bring him into camp, give him a look...

let him compete with Geno and Alex.

Really, I'm down with 3 new QBs on the roster.

Dumbass.

Chiefnj2 01-02-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9267612)
My guess is that we are trying to woo a candidate that appeared to be already in the bag for AZ. Whatever it takes.....

To me it looks like Andy's agent said, lets get another "interview" in to bump up your demand and price before we sit down with Arizona.

The Franchise 01-02-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9267644)

He'd have his shot with the #1 pick.

I would think that if Reid came here.....he'd be all about locking up Bowe and Albert. He'd also get his pick with whatever QB was in this draft.

I don't see him going after someone like Alex Smith or even Michael Vick. I'd like to think that he knows that Vick is pretty much done in the NFL.

wazu 01-02-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9267644)

Huh? Last major decision was to go with Vick over Kolb. (Which was considered a controversial decision at the time as Kolb was supposed to be the golden boy QBOTF.)

Chief Roundup 01-02-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9267595)
Schwartz and Pinkston are OK, I wouldn't call them "nice players." Agree to disagree on those two.

I had high hopes for Taylor, but he's been god-awful.

And yes, the RGIII debacle is a huge black mark.

Those drafts were better than Ross'

Mother****erJones 01-02-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9267649)
He has this Schottenheimeresque inability to close the deal that gives me pause. It would be pretty nice to get a high profile guy with the win% he has, and hiring him would mean Pioli is out, but I might be more reserved in my excitement than most.

But who knows, maybe his 12th winning season will be the charm.

Except he wins multiple playoff games and gets to championship games and a super bowl. Unlike Marty

The Franchise 01-02-2013 10:22 AM

Reid has to know that if he comes here and wins a SINGLE playoff game.....he'd be a hero in KC for the next 10 years.

Mother****erJones 01-02-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9267659)
Those drafts were better than Ross'

In fairness to cleveland and heckert, Rams and Redskins coaches were close and thats why cleveland lost out

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9267657)

I would think that if Reid came here.....he'd be all about locking up Bowe and Albert. He'd also get his pick with whatever QB was in this draft.

I don't see him going after someone like Alex Smith or even Michael Vick. I'd like to think that he knows that Vick is pretty much done in the NFL.

He was quick to cut the strings with McNabb and Kolb...

He wouldn't bring in fumble-factory Vick.

OnTheWarpath15 01-02-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9267658)
Huh? Last major decision was to go with Vick over Kolb. (Which was considered a controversial decision at the time as Kolb was supposed to be the golden boy QBOTF.)

And how did that work out? Ultimately, he was fired because NEITHER were a good option.

They haven't had a good QB there since McNabb, and I think McNabb might be the most overrated QB of all time.

Have his QB's been Cassel-esque?

Nope.

But they've been far from elite, and that's what you need in today's NFL.

Having the first pick is just part of the solution, you still have to pick the right guy.

ChiefMojo 01-02-2013 10:23 AM

That is one saving grace, he would be coming into a situation where he would be able to pick the QB he wants with the #1 overall pick.

I don't see Kolb being a issue with the type of contract he has in Zona.

My only worry about Reid is his ability to actually use Charles properly. Sure Charles would likely see more passes thrown to him which is 100% fine but you better run him plenty!

Imon Yourside 01-02-2013 10:23 AM

Lost in the shuffle: what does Matt Cassel have to say?

LMAO

htismaqe 01-02-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9267656)
To me it looks like Andy's agent said, lets get another "interview" in to bump up your demand and price before we sit down with Arizona.

It certainly does look that way.

But 2 of the big 4 in NFL rumor guys are stating exactly the opposite, so there's that.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9267655)
Dumbass.

Yeah...ok.

You just don't oick up on the funny.

Name-caller.

DJ's left nut 01-02-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9267640)
Hmmmmm. Sounds needy. Like an after the bars close booty call to an ex gf.

Care to explain to me how the Kansas City Chiefs get off slow-playing anyone right now?

"We're the Chiefs...they'll come to us." **** that - the Chiefs should go out there and use their advantages. Show that youthful energy and spin it to a benefit.

You're essentially advocating a slow play while holding a low pair. Sorry, but that's stupid. What we're doing isn't 'needy', it's eager. It shows how much we want a candidate that's going to be in demand and does a lot of good things for us.

This is a great decision.

Carlota69 01-02-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9267657)

Also, its been said over and over again about how great this team really is (I know thats debatable) and that we just need a QB and a few tweaks. What does AZ have? Fitzgerald and thats about it.

Plus to bring Arrowhead back to its original mystique and glory? maybe Im being a homer, but KC would be much more attractive, especailly if I had the power to oust Pioli;-)

Mr. Laz 01-02-2013 10:25 AM

I would think 4 or 5 years of Andy Reid is exactly what we need to right now.

get us out of the shitter
stabilize us
draft/develop a QB
get the offense rolling
win a playoff game
bring a coach that can attract free agents

once he returns us to respectability we can go find a guy that can close if we need to

ModSocks 01-02-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9267427)
All Peter King said was that they respect each other. Jeff Rosen didn't QUOTE King. Bad form. Plus, King gets info directly from Pioli. Maybe Pioli said "I'm glad I still have a job. I'll fetch Reid coffee if he lets me stay."

Jason Cole, Mort, several others are saying Reid wouldn't want to share power with Pioli. They can respect each other immensely but at the end of the day, Reid is going to get a TON of say.

That's fine. Im sure Scooter can make a mean cup of coffee. Im sure his BJ's are pretty good too, Clark can confirm that.

rabblerouser 01-02-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9267672)
Also, its been said over and over again about how great this team really is (I know thats debatable) and that we just need a QB and a few tweaks. What does AZ have? Fitzgerald and thats about it.

Plus to bring Arrowhead back to its original mystique and glory? maybe Im being a homer, but KC would be much more attractive, especailly if I had the power to oust Pioli;-)

And here we go round in circles...

;)

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-02-2013 10:26 AM

Les Bowen ‏@LesBowen

I'm late with this, but yeah, Andy talked to KC today in Philly and is headed to Az now. Maybe we can have dinner!

Mother****erJones 01-02-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlota69 (Post 9267672)

Zona does have a better defense