ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Whitlock: Chiefs hope money doesn’t go to Dorsey’s head (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187950)

Deberg_1990 07-27-2008 08:00 AM

Whitlock: Chiefs hope money doesn’t go to Dorsey’s head

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...ry/722079.html

Man, we love to beat up the Hunts and Carl Peterson for their frugality, but you have to feel for them today.

Their reward for a 4-12 season was the right to select an unproven player at the top of the draft and give him more than enough money to kill his eye of the Tiger.

Congratulations, Glenn Dorsey. If you handle your money properly, you will live a fantastic life for the next 50 years, thanks to the potential you displayed at Louisiana State University.

The Chiefs have no such guarantees. In fact, they’re likely to spend the next two years holding their breath, praying that Dorsey is a solid NFL player and somewhat worthy of a $50 million contract that includes at least 20 million guaranteed dollars.

If Dorsey is a flop, it will be easy to blame KC’s latest draft failure on The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl. He’s had terrible luck identifying young defensive tackles. He misfired on Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii, Eddie Freeman and, quite possibly, Tank Tyler and Turk McBride, too.

In those instances, it’s fair to fault Peterson and his scouting department. Sims was inconsistent at North Carolina. Siavii didn’t even really like football at Oregon. Freeman was a ridiculous reach in the second round. Character questions haunted Tyler before the draft. And the Chiefs somehow surmised that McBride could be an emergency fill-in at defensive end while Jared Allen sat out a 2007 suspension.

If Dorsey bombs, we shouldn’t blast Peterson. Dorsey was a no-brainer selection at No. 5. Seemingly every draft projection had Dorsey pegged as the top defensive tackle, and a lot of experts viewed him as the most talented player in the draft. At No. 5, every team in the league would’ve been more than happy to take Dorsey.

If he fails, there will be two likely causes: 1. Injury; 2. The ridiculous amount of money he was guaranteed before ever playing an NFL down.

Rarely do we talk about the role money plays in the success or failure of a young player. Most people agree — including commissioner Roger Goodell — that NFL rookies are paid way too much money.

We think it’s unfair that an unproven player such as Dorsey received a better contract than Tony Gonzalez has ever received during a Hall of Fame-worthy career.

Obviously, it’s a bad business model. It’s the equivalent of a law firm handing associates better deals than the firm’s partners. The NBA and Major League Baseball don’t allow this sort of consistent foolishness (although MLB teams are starting to give out fat signing bonuses).

The current NFL setup creates instant locker-room disharmony. It’s my contention that no pro-sports league deals with a higher percentage of veteran players dissatisfied with their contracts. I’d say 97 percent of NFL players believe their contracts should be renegotiated. And at this time of the year, when top-10 rookies are having dollar bills rained on them, the percentage of unhappy veterans is 99.

The system needs to be revamped for competitive reasons, too.

Football is just too violent and challenging to give a young person all that money. It’s like boxing. Mike Tyson was on his way to dethroning Muhammad Ali as the greatest and then Iron Mike got filthy rich and soft. It’s hard to run five miles at 5 in the morning when you have mansions in five states and five time zones.

Do you think Glenn Dorsey is as hungry today as he was two years ago at LSU?

Money changes people — in good and bad ways.

Tiger Woods is the only athlete I’ve ever seen be given lifetime financial security at the outset of his career and perform every day as though he doesn’t have a nickel in his pocket. But Tiger was raised from birth to be the world’s best golfer.

OK, Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, Chris Long, Matt Ryan and Darren McFadden, the players at the top of the 2008 NFL draft, weren’t given Tiger money. But it might feel like it to them. You never really know.

The addition of mega millions makes maturity even more important when developing young athletes. NFL owners and general managers are constantly weighing whether a young player can handle the responsibility of being rich.

The Rams selected Chris Long, a defensive end, with the second pick in the draft. He doesn’t have as much upside as Dorsey. But Long’s father, Howie, is in the Hall of Fame and a wealthy broadcaster for Fox.

Like Tiger Woods and the Mannings, Chris Long was groomed for NFL greatness at an early age.

I’m sure the Hunts and Peterson believe Dorsey can handle the wealth they just gave him. Well, “believe” is probably too strong a word. I’m sure they hope he can handle all that money and still retain the attitude necessary to excel in the trenches.

pikesome 07-27-2008 08:10 AM

Dorsey sounds like a guy who can keep the motivation level high.

At least he didn't hold out like the last lazy bastard who got grossly overpaid did.

milkman 07-27-2008 08:12 AM

Iron Mike never fought against the same quality of boxer that Ali fought against.

StcChief 07-27-2008 08:18 AM

JWhit is right, money changes everything. Let's hope Dorsey is all the hype, he deserves
and not the hold out Sims model.

Chief Chief 07-27-2008 08:38 AM

My problems with this $hitlock piece:

1. The subject matter of it is at least 5 years too late.

2. While we don't know how this is going to pan out this season or 4 seasons from now, we do at least know that Dorsey proved himself worthy of a #5 pick in spring OTAs. In other words: If Dorsey becomes a bust, the blame would be on him for becoming rich and turning soft, rather than on CP for a lack of eye for talent since Dorsey's shown his extremely high level of talent and skills prior to signing.

milkman 07-27-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Chief (Post 4871899)

2. While we don't know how this is going to pan out this season or 4 seasons from now, we do at least know that Dorsey proved himself worthy of a #5 pick in spring OTAs. In other words: If Dorsey becomes a bust, the blame would be on him for becoming rich and turning soft, rather than on CP for a lack of eye for talent since Dorsey's shown his extremely high level of talent and skills prior to signing.

I thought he made point #2 pretty well in this column.

Deberg_1990 07-27-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Chief (Post 4871899)

Did you miss the part where he says: Dont blame Carl Peterson for that???

"If Dorsey bombs, we shouldn’t blast Peterson. Dorsey was a no-brainer selection at No. 5. Seemingly every draft projection had Dorsey pegged as the top defensive tackle, and a lot of experts viewed him as the most talented player in the draft. At No. 5, every team in the league would’ve been more than happy to take Dorsey.

If he fails, there will be two likely causes: 1. Injury; 2. The ridiculous amount of money he was guaranteed before ever playing an NFL down."

blueballs 07-27-2008 08:51 AM

kinda like a wedding ring
the hunger just fades

Adept Havelock 07-27-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4871878)

Tiger Woods is the only athlete I’ve ever seen be given lifetime financial security at the outset of his career and perform every day as though he doesn’t have a nickel in his pocket.

I guess Fatlock never watched Tomlinson, P. Manning, J. Peppers, etc. play.

I can't recall ever seeing those guys not give their "all" on the field (barring injury), and they are all set for life on their rookie contracts.

That said, I agree that paying Rookies like they do is absurd. The law-firm comparison is spot-on.

dj56dt58 07-27-2008 09:02 AM

Now he just has to take his goal of making the NFL and all that money and push it out of the way and change his goal for a super bowl ring

blueballs 07-27-2008 09:06 AM

teams should hire busts and the over hyped/mouthy
as water and towel boys
Yo Fred-x were outa toliet paper

Messier 07-27-2008 09:39 AM

Why pull out the old, money can make players lazy, chestnut? Its relevant for any player that signs any big deal. This could be anyone of the first rounders. It just seems too generic.

Coach 07-27-2008 09:46 AM

I guess the money got into Whitlock's head.

RealSNR 07-27-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 4871979)
I guess the money got into Whitlock's head.

No, it just went to his ass

Pasta Little Brioni 07-27-2008 09:58 AM

I hate when guys are considered possible "busts" like he did to turk and tank. They've played one F'n year so far. We will know alot more after this season as they both should make contributions. If Tank can't beat out Ron Edwards this year I may agree with his point though.