ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV "The Wire" fans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206100)

Buck 04-25-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis (Post 5705640)
Yeah, it was, but I found it pissed me off more than compelled me. Those kids never stood a ****ing chance. I found the docks storyline almost dry compared to the Barksdale side of things. Marlo is just a psychopath. I've just started season five, but right now, I'd rank my favorites in this order.

3, 1, 4, 2

Still, there is nothing better than a drinking scene with McNaulty and Bunk.

Theres one in like every episode.

beavis 04-26-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5705681)
And its even worse in real inner-city life.

What The Wire does is present an incredibly accurate depiction of the American city, but its fictional elements work to "lighten up" the subject matter just a tiny bit so that the show is somewhat palatable to watch. Season 4 & 5 are the bleakest & hardest to handle, though. I think that's why the may be the best.

I've wondered that while watching this series - if they had actually tamed a lot of it down. There is obviously some dramatic flare thrown in... Omar is almost the equivalent of a ghetto Batman.

beavis 04-26-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MediaCenterJunkie (Post 5709348)
Theres one in like every episode.

Except in Season 4 when Jimmy stopped drinking. He was almost non-existent that year, and it really pissed me off, as I think he's an epic character.

Reaper16 04-26-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis (Post 5717750)
I've wondered that while watching this series - if they had actually tamed a lot of it down. There is obviously some dramatic flare thrown in... Omar is almost the equivalent of a ghetto Batman.

That's a superb observation. You're right on the money, imo. Omar is, by far, the most unrealistic aspect of The Wire. He's also the most popular. He's a superhero. The audience loves his antics and can breath a sigh of relief when he's on the screen. I think Omar exists primarily for emotional release; a small but necessary respite from the crushing bleakness of the rest of the show.

beavis 05-06-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5717759)
That's a superb observation. You're right on the money, imo. Omar is, by far, the most unrealistic aspect of The Wire. He's also the most popular. He's a superhero. The audience loves his antics and can breath a sigh of relief when he's on the screen. I think Omar exists primarily for emotional release; a small but necessary respite from the crushing bleakness of the rest of the show.

I felt like I got punched in the gut when they took him out. He is in my top 5 characters of all time.

"Packa Newpowt"

Buck 05-06-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis (Post 5745573)
I felt like I got punched in the gut when they took him out. He is in my top 5 characters of all time.

"Packa Newpowt"

Soft Pack

KCUnited 05-07-2009 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavis (Post 5745573)

"Packa Newpowt"

Foul-mouthed lil hopper and shit.

Baby Lee 05-07-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 5746746)
Foul-mouthed lil hopper and shit.

Who dat think he Omar?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksUNm6TZ1rQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksUNm6TZ1rQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Buck 05-07-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 5746768)
Who dat think he Omar?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksUNm6TZ1rQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksUNm6TZ1rQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Huh...I never realized that was Kenard.

irishjayhawk 07-11-2009 09:23 AM

Just finished the entire series. Epic is one word that comes to mind.

I'm not sure how to rank them just yet because I'm having a hard time with season 5. It just doesn't seem to fit the rest. The rest were realistic while 5 felt over the top. Yet, many of the ideas behind 5 are powerful. I'm gonna have to think about it.

My gut says: 4 & 1 (tie), 3 & 5 (tie), 2. But let's not pretend that says much. There's almost no distance between any of them, really.

Also, UP, you are correct when describing 10-12 hour days of The Wire. It is heaven.

Buck 07-11-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5893384)
Just finished the entire series. Epic is one word that comes to mind.

I'm not sure how to rank them just yet because I'm having a hard time with season 5. It just doesn't seem to fit the rest. The rest were realistic while 5 felt over the top. Yet, many of the ideas behind 5 are powerful. I'm gonna have to think about it.

My gut says: 4 & 1 (tie), 3 & 5 (tie), 2. But let's not pretend that says much. There's almost no distance between any of them, really.

Also, UP, you are correct when describing 10-12 hour days of The Wire. It is heaven.

Awesome. Did you like season 2? I noticed its last on your list.

Rewatch and see if you like it better, thats the case with most people. I loved it the first time through.

I need to re-watch this show.

Reaper16 07-11-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5893384)

It is still literary fiction (in TV form), so Season 5's plot was working fine on an artistic level. I wouldn't say that the serial killer plot was any more unrealistic than the Hamsterdam plot or the entire Omar story arc.

Thig Lyfe 07-11-2009 12:24 PM

I'm on disc 3 of season 4. Amazed how they're able to come up with fresh storylines without abandoning what made the show great in the first place. I'd like to see more McNulty, though.

Reaper16 07-11-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 5893671)
I'm on disc 3 of season 4. Amazed how they're able to come up with fresh storylines without abandoning what made the show great in the first place. I'd like to see more McNulty, though.

It ain't about what you like, holmes. Its about what serves the story.

Thig Lyfe 07-11-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding (Post 5893634)
Awesome. Did you like season 2? I noticed its last on your list.

Rewatch and see if you like it better, thats the case with most people. I loved it the first time through.

I need to re-watch this show.

I thought season 2 was friggin' great despite being way different than the other seasons. Focusing on Sobotka rather than Barksdale was risky but paid off. The season was essentially filler to lend some realism to the Barksdale timeline (they couldn't just turn around and get Avon out of prison the next season), I think, but it was amazing, well-crafted, meaningful filler.