ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Apple overhauling its 30 pin connector (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262365)

Baby Lee 08-14-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8816591)
Read the reply above yours before capslocking like a whiny child. Micro USB can't transmit the required amount of data protocols for these devices. It's insufficient for what Apple does.

Is USB 3 still too slow to xfer HQ data with the developments of compression tech, or are they just wedded to old protocols.

I can send 720p DD 5.1 MKV, as well as uncompressed OTA HD, over wifi to my bluray player.

Ace Gunner 08-14-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Read the reply above yours before capslocking like a whiny child. Micro USB can't transmit the required amount of data protocols for these devices. It's insufficient for what Apple does.

This is a pic of the connector panel on a Mac Mini which I have used to xfer plenty of video, audio and large PS data files. http://www.shoutpedia.com/wp-content...0/10/image.jpg.

loochy 08-14-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

usb + hdmi?

Rausch 08-14-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8816355)
Are you seriously trying to criticize them for updating 10 year old technology? LOL... yeah. That's never happened before. Only Apple....

Look how long they fought the unwinnable fight with G series (IBM/Motorola) chips...

BigMeatballDave 08-14-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Bullshit.

loochy 08-14-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8816673)
Bullshit.

Dude never question the Big Apple.

Baby Lee 08-14-2012 12:50 PM

This reminds me, anyone know the cheapest place to get a decent [or at least reliable] AC to USB adapter?

The single worst complaint I have about my Touch is that charging it requires a powered USB port.

They had an adapter at MicroCenter, but it was $30

loochy 08-14-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8816688)
This reminds me, anyone know the cheapest place to get a AC to USB adapter?

The single worst complaint I have about my Touch is that charging it requires a powered USB port.

did you check monoprice?

Fish 08-14-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfootballfan (Post 8816631)
This is a pic of the connector panel on a Mac Mini which I have used to xfer plenty of video, audio and large PS data files. http://www.shoutpedia.com/wp-content...0/10/image.jpg.

That's a nice picture. But it's completely irrelevant.

The new iPhone has a single connection port. Not 5 different ports like what you're showing in your pic. Combine all those functions of those 5 different ports into one connector, and then it would be comparable.

The new iPhone has to have a single connector, one port, that must transfer power, multiple audio channels both in and out, video in and out in multiple formats, data transfer in and out, etc. All that has to fit into one connector while keeping all those different functions separated from each other. For the 30 pin connector, each of those 30 pins would be considered a separate "channel" so to speak. Lots of those are bunched together for a single function, but that should give you the idea.

Just micro USB doesn't provide enough separate "channels" to transfer all the stuff in and out of the iPhone. Something new had to be created.

Fish 08-14-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8816673)
Bullshit.

LMAO... OK......

BigMeatballDave 08-14-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8816585)
micro usb doesnt have video or audio i dont think

Yes it can.

It does require an MHL adaptor, though.

-King- 08-14-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8816702)
That's a nice picture. But it's completely irrelevant.

The new iPhone has a single connection port. Not 5 different ports like what you're showing in your pic. Combine all those functions of those 5 different ports into one connector, and then it would be comparable.

The new iPhone has to have a single connector, one port, that must transfer power, multiple audio channels both in and out, video in and out in multiple formats, data transfer in and out, etc. All that has to fit into one connector while keeping all those different functions separated from each other. For the 30 pin connector, each of those 30 pins would be considered a separate "channel" so to speak. Lots of those are bunched together for a single function, but that should give you the idea.

Just micro USB doesn't provide enough separate "channels" to transfer all the stuff in and out of the iPhone. Something new had to be created.

Which of those functions can't you do with a micro USB?

L.A. Chieffan 08-14-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8816722)
Yes it can.

It does require an MHL adaptor, though.

yeah, lots of things can do other things with an adaptor.

Baby Lee 08-14-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8816738)
Which of those functions can't you do with a micro USB?

Just struck me, my uncompressed OTA HD is stored on my MyBook. Which, although my PC's USB ports are 3.0, the Drive itself is 2.0.

1080i and DD 5.1, UNCOMPRESSED playing in real time, @ USB 2.0.

BigMeatballDave 08-14-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8816748)
yeah, lots of things can do other things with an adaptor.

Its not a complicated device.

Its a pass-thru. Video still passes thru the micro USB.